Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 10, 2017, 06:31:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 04:28:36 PM
Quote from: Captain Black on November 10, 2017, 03:54:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Black on November 10, 2017, 02:44:08 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 02:20:31 PM
Libreoffice is a great job. I've been using it for years.

I would 2nd that.

Syf that is spoken like a true spoofer

Spoken like someone who had to process a fûckton of .docx and excel files through SQL in a past life.

I could tell you the object names of every last styling option in Word if you really wanted me to, but go ahead and tell me I'm a spoofer.

get off your high horse and drink your buttermilk. the poor bugger probably just wants to draft a report or 2, otherwise why else is he asking gaaboard.

you reasons for directing folk to a pirate copy of a 'mega corporation's word processor is pure spoofery. libre office has been round for decades in a few guises with 10s of millions of users and is perfectly fine for 99pc of us. sure it had a 'mega corporation' behind it too in oracle, if thats what it takes to be a non substandard word processor in your eyes.

MS Word is the standard. Market share tells you that much. That doesn't mean other options are bad at what they do, but in a world dominated by Office, where the other players routinely have to react to changes made by Microsoft to their file types and features, I simply can't recommend using them.

Even if you're not going to use it on your CV or at work, Word is easier to troubleshoot by dint of its market share. It's the same reason that, while I think it's a good browser, I'd never recommend someone use Firefox over Chrome.

If you're going free I'd recommend Google Docs above anything else simply because it's multi-user editing is excellent. But then you're stuck in the cloud and that might be a leap for those used to traditional options.

You also pointed someone to a cracked version of ms word.  God knows what malware/virus/malicious code is included as part of the download.

I use Linux as my os and open office or libreoffice comes with it and has everything I need from a word processing software application and would suggest 99% of people would find the same.
Open Office is clumsy when saving imaged documents in a format that can be opened by MS Word. maybe there are othe gremlins as well I didn't bother with it long enough.
I don't know about LibreOffice  I might give that one a try.
BTW I've been pirating MS software via torrents for decades and not a malware in sight, whether it be Word or Windows.
It's unabashed fear mongering to claim it includes bad stuff.
The MS software on offer in that link is not a cracked version, it is an  everyday normal version which the user activates via a toolkit. It is an impossibility for the toolkit to infect the software.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 01, 2018, 05:17:12 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 01, 2018, 05:10:25 PM
Does anyone know of a website that you can go onto that throws up a screenshot of another website at a particular time? Basically I need to get a screen shot of a website from back in November but the content is now down. But I remember someone giving me the details of a site that held 1000's of websites and you could select to look at it on a certain date. (I might not be explaining this great!!  :-[ )

Any help would be appreciated.

This should work

https://archive.org/web/

That's the one thanks.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Main Street on February 01, 2018, 07:40:35 PM

I would 2nd that.

Spoken like someone who had to process a fûckton of .docx and excel files through SQL in a past life.

I could tell you the object names of every last styling option in Word if you really wanted me to, but go ahead and tell me I'm a spoofer.

get off your high horse and drink your buttermilk. the poor bugger probably just wants to draft a report or 2, otherwise why else is he asking gaaboard.

you reasons for directing folk to a pirate copy of a 'mega corporation's word processor is pure spoofery. libre office has been round for decades in a few guises with 10s of millions of users and is perfectly fine for 99pc of us. sure it had a 'mega corporation' behind it too in oracle, if thats what it takes to be a non substandard word processor in your eyes.

MS Word is the standard. Market share tells you that much. That doesn't mean other options are bad at what they do, but in a world dominated by Office, where the other players routinely have to react to changes made by Microsoft to their file types and features, I simply can't recommend using them.

Even if you're not going to use it on your CV or at work, Word is easier to troubleshoot by dint of its market share. It's the same reason that, while I think it's a good browser, I'd never recommend someone use Firefox over Chrome.

If you're going free I'd recommend Google Docs above anything else simply because it's multi-user editing is excellent. But then you're stuck in the cloud and that might be a leap for those used to traditional options.

You also pointed someone to a cracked version of ms word.  God knows what malware/virus/malicious code is included as part of the download.

I use Linux as my os and open office or libreoffice comes with it and has everything I need from a word processing software application and would suggest 99% of people would find the same.
Open Office is clumsy when saving imaged documents in a format that can be opened by MS Word. maybe there are othe gremlins as well I didn't bother with it long enough.
BTW I've been pirating MS software via torrents for decades and not a malware in sight, whether it be Word or Windows.
The MS software on offer in that link is not a cracked version, it is an  everyday normal version which the user activates via a toolkit. It is an impossibility for the toolkit to infect the software.

Congratulations on stealing software for decades
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Syferus

Interesting that stealing software gets on your nerves but a blindingly obvious case of rape doesn't.

I write software for a living and I couldn't care less if Jimmy or Jack down the road are living the high life of free Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Unless it's a small company's software it's as victimless a crime as there is.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2018, 09:05:41 PM
Interesting that stealing software gets on your nerves but a blindingly obvious case of rape doesn't.

I write software for a living and I couldn't care less if Jimmy or Jack down the road are living the high life of free Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Unless it's a small company's software it's as victimless a crime as there is.

I write software as a living as well.  Congratulations you think stealing is victimless.  I also wait to make up my mind on a case like Jackson's when I hear all the evidemce before I give my opinion if he is guilty or not.  I note when challemged on your physical evidence of the bruising/bleeding even though the Dr and prosecution agree it cannot guarantee sex was non consensual you believe it was.  The more I read your posts about it I half think you must have been in the room on the night in question you know so much about it 3 days into a trial.  As I have said before I may come to the conclusion he is guilty as may the jury after hearing everything.  If that happens I hope they receive just sentences.   However you come to that conclusion after day 1 of the trial.  Your entitled to that opinion however I disagree with it and to be quite honest I feel like the old don't argue with an idiot they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience is very relevant to yourself.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Main Street

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 01, 2018, 09:01:02 PM

I would 2nd that.

Thanks, but I'm not boasting about it, only to counter some cracked computing advice from you  re "99% of people would find the same" having no issue with Open Office or libreOffice
and other idiotic scaremongering about viruses.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Main Street on February 03, 2018, 05:42:07 PM

I would 2nd that.

Thanks, but I'm not boasting about it, only to counter some cracked computing advice from you  re "99% of people would find the same" having no issue with Open Office or libreOffice

Maybe try libre office before calling it cracked computing advice.  Just because you've never had an issue with viruses from.cracked software doesn't mean you know what you are downloading

Syferus

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 05, 2018, 09:51:24 PM

I would 2nd that.

Maybe try libre office before calling it cracked computing advice.  Just because you've never had an issue with viruses from.cracked software doesn't mean you know what you are downloading

Given you can get the installers from Microsoft itself and the MS Toolkit is a tiny file that is easily verifiable as such with any number of anti-virus or anti-malware programs, that you're still trying to scaremonger is pretty amazing.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2018, 10:19:26 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 05, 2018, 09:51:24 PM

I would 2nd that.

Given you can get the installers from Microsoft itself and the MS Toolkit is a tiny file that is easily verifiable as such with any number of anti-virus or anti-malware programs, that you're still trying to scaremonger is pretty amazing.

I forgot you know everything about everything.  Given your earlier logic that stealing from MS is as victimless crime as there is at what point in your mind does a company profit level have to reach for it to become victimless.  Would it be ok to steal from Tesco but not your local corner shop

Orior

Dropbox v Googledrive v OneDrive

A couple of years ago I signed up for Dropbox and am regretting it. Can Dropbox be configured like another logical drive on your desktop?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

awideisneverasgood

Have you installed dropbox for windows?
This allows you to configure a local folder which is kept in sync with your online files.

If you need the folder to appear as a logical drive, you can then map this folder as a mapped drive.

RealSpiritof98

I have borrowed my sisters laptop and when I turned it on I got a message Enter HDD/SSD password. My sis has no clue what it is. Any ideas on how I can bypass it?  I have a ton of work to do, being a cheap skate I haven't purchased a new one after my acer hit the skids last year

Orior

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on August 31, 2018, 11:33:53 AM
I have borrowed my sisters laptop and when I turned it on I got a message Enter HDD/SSD password. My sis has no clue what it is. Any ideas on how I can bypass it?  I have a ton of work to do, being a cheap skate I haven't purchased a new one after my acer hit the skids last year

1) I don't believe you
2) The hard disk has a password for a reason
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rufus T Firefly

Folks - could I ask a bit of advice please - I have a Seagate external hard drive that is broken - a mate checked it out and confirmed it was a hardware issue. I looked at seagate website and to recover the files is going to cost nearly £600. The files contain many photos of strong sentimental value, including many of family occasions, but I'm baulking at the expense.

Are there any other options? I assume that this is going to be an expensive process to retrieve the files, if that is possible?