PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
Should they have allowed this? Of course. Could they without passing a motion at congress? Probably not.

The fact that this is nothing more than a charity game could perhaps have gotten around the rules but wasn't there even a thing in Longford where they allowed facilities be used for a kids summer camp for soccer and got punished by HQ??

That article in the rules needs to go especially f the American Football is somehow being allowed.

Not unrelated to the fact that a Premiership soccer star jetted in and bragged to the local media something stupid about soccer taking over from Irish football in that part of the world.  He ended up paying the fine for the club. 

spuds

Each association has its rules rightly or wrongly, is this just a case of not being in the gift of the GAA to allow this worthy event to take place in PuC as it contravenes the rules as are laid out presently.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on July 19, 2018, 02:44:01 PM
Each association has its rules rightly or wrongly, is this just a case of not being in the gift of the GAA to allow this worthy event to take place in PuC as it contravenes the rules as are laid out presently.

This is such an incredibly weak excuse for all the reasons I outlined in my last post.

Shamrock Shore

Look - I'm all for it, but has anyone considered the liability issue here?

I'm involved in local events here in South Dublin and for all public events we have to have insurance in case anything happens.

So - the charity event goes ahead in PUC and there is an issue. Someone falls...........one of the players ruptures a tendon due to a mad tackle.

So - who covers this? The organisers..........PUC? Would PUC be exposed if it hosted an event that was, technically, in breach of the rules of the organisation that owns the stadium?

It's easy to pick a fight with the 'GAH', 'Grab Alls' etc but if you want this not to happen again get a motion passed to allow County Boards to decide on a case-by-case basis to open a stadium for events like these, as long as the organisers take full responsibility and have their own insurance in place. Acting ultra vires can never be in the GAA's interests.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

No. Much easier for half eejits to go off on a bit of "Gah" bashing.
Why didn't they kick up over Cork's soccer team not getting the Páirc for their game against a Polish team the other week?
Sure half the Poles in Ireland would have gone to it?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 03:15:57 PM
Why didn't they kick up over Cork's soccer team not getting the Páirc for their game against a Polish team the other week?

Disgusting. A charity match for a player who died in his 30s with a young family and this is your attempt at drawing equivalence.

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 02:58:42 PM
Quote from: spuds on July 19, 2018, 02:44:01 PM

This is such an incredibly weak excuse for all the reasons I outlined in my last post.
A weak excuse you say but the rules of the association are laid out. If they create a precedent to allow this fundraiser do they open themselves up to complaints of other refusals of GAA ground to other sports past and future.

Personally all for the game to be played in PuC but can see the issue the GAA has with it, as surely should the organisers who should be aware of the GAAs stance from the Croke park only opening up during the construction of Landsdowne road.
John Hubbard

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 19, 2018, 03:08:41 PM
Look - I'm all for it, but has anyone considered the liability issue here?

I'm involved in local events here in South Dublin and for all public events we have to have insurance in case anything happens.

So - the charity event goes ahead in PUC and there is an issue. Someone falls...........one of the players ruptures a tendon due to a mad tackle.

So - who covers this? The organisers..........PUC? Would PUC be exposed if it hosted an event that was, technically, in breach of the rules of the organisation that owns the stadium?

It's easy to pick a fight with the 'GAH', 'Grab Alls' etc but if you want this not to happen again get a motion passed to allow County Boards to decide on a case-by-case basis to open a stadium for events like these, as long as the organisers take full responsibility and have their own insurance in place. Acting ultra vires can never be in the GAA's interests.

If a player gets injured the FAI would cover it as they would be overseeing, if not running the event. Its very silly to suggest a stadium owner would be liable for a sporting injury on their turf ahead of the organisers.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2018, 03:14:55 PM
Can of worms opening...

https://twitter.com/timoconnorbl/status/1019850077127495680
Now isn't that interesting. I cant see the organisers of this event going legal, but rugby might

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 03:15:57 PM
Because Turners Cross is more than capable of hosting that game and i assume PuC doesnt have a UEFA rating and when you remove the terracing is 20,000 capacity.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 04:29:17 PM
The organisers confirmed that an approach was made with a view to hosting the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, but that this would require a rule change at GAA congress which won't be held until next spring.

Mr O'Flynn stressed, however, that Cork County Board were very receptive to their approaches and offered Pairc Ui Chaoimh's conferencing facilities free of charge.

Think the CCB did all they could in fairness. Nothing to see here.

National press and currently on Joe Duffy.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/anger-as-permission-refused-for-pirc-u-chaoimh-to-host-liam-miller-charity-match-37134405.html

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2018, 03:56:22 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 19, 2018, 03:42:19 PM
Can of worms opening...

Now isn't that interesting. I cant see the organisers of this event going legal, but rugby might

No chance.
If that chap is right, and he looks to be, there is a 45,000 capacity venue in Cork that they have a right to use. Not as much use to soccer with the terracing, but Munster rugby have been talking about moving big games to Cork for years but Musgrave is too small. I can see a cheekly challenge to the ban in this instance.

spuds

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 19, 2018, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2018, 03:56:22 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 19, 2018, 03:42:19 PM
Can of worms opening...

No chance.
If that chap is right, and he looks to be, there is a 45,000 capacity venue in Cork that they have a right to use. Not as much use to soccer with the terracing, but Munster rugby have been talking about moving big games to Cork for years but Musgrave is too small. I can see a cheekly challenge to the ban in this instance.
Are you getting his use of voluntary mixed up with the professional Munster rugby?  ;D
John Hubbard