The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Hound on March 18, 2022, 09:59:53 PM
He's Mr Leeds for me. The comically bad defender celebration adding to the joy!

Seemingly he was trying to do a Robby Keane celebration.  Nil  Points.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Burnley had a huge win over Everton who are only a point above them. Both teams are now 11/10 to be relegated.
Leeds are 23/5.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

I suppose a draw would have been a better result for us last night
Careful now

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 07, 2022, 09:23:22 PM
I suppose a draw would have been a better result for us last night

100% correct. Burnley's win brings the relegation zone two points closer to our tail.

Another huge weekend. If we win at Vicarage Road I will start allowing myself to breathe more easily. Defeat, and a Burnley win at Norwich and we are right back in the mire.

Rufus T Firefly

And suddenly, in a matter of hours, things look so different.

Newcastle beat Wolves last night. I'd expect Burnley to take Norwich tomorrow, and with Everton winning against an absolutely abject Manure, we now need to win this afternoon to essentially stand still.

I have a bad feeling about all of this.

Team named and one change - Kock comes in for Forshaw. Phillips starts on the bench.

Dougal Maguire

Leeds living on the edge at the moment
Careful now

seafoid

Leeds are 5/1. The bookies don't take the gaaboard nihilism into account.
And the Goal Difference is up to minus 30 which is only the third worst in the division.

seafoid

Norwich 2 Burnley 0
Leeds are now 9/1, 10 points ahead of Burnley.

Rufus T Firefly

Huge results after the Everton defeat of Manure.

Beating Watford was essential and was managed, albeit, it was nowhere near as comfortable as the score-line might suggest. At 1-0 up, Watford had a huge chance to equalise which was spurned. Rodrigo seems to be playing like a Spanish international now, under Marsch, which is great to see as he is an excellent player. The return of Philips and Cooper is also adding a lot to Leeds defensively.

Norwich's defeat of Burnley is devastating for the Lancashire club. They will find that hard to come back from that, although they still have games to turn it around.

A few matches ago I thought 35 points might see us safe, although I'm increasingly feeling it might take more. It's difficult though to say with any clarity. Palace away next, and that is this night fortnight. Situation will be much clearer when we next take to the field. 

shark

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 11, 2022, 12:22:53 PM

Beating Watford was essential and was managed, albeit, it was nowhere near as comfortable as the score-line might suggest. At 1-0 up, Watford had a huge chance to equalise which was spurned. Rodrigo seems to be playing like a Spanish international now, under Marsch, which is great to see as he is an excellent player. The return of Philips and Cooper is also adding a lot to Leeds defensively.

Norwich's defeat of Burnley is devastating for the Lancashire club. They will find that hard to come back from that, although they still have games to turn it around.

A few matches ago I thought 35 points might see us safe, although I'm increasingly feeling it might take more. It's difficult though to say with any clarity. Palace away next, and that is this night fortnight. Situation will be much clearer when we next take to the field.

35 will almost certainly be enough. Leeds will finish with at least 37. The current bottom 3 will go.

seafoid

Quote from: shark on April 11, 2022, 01:27:22 PM

35 will almost certainly be enough. Leeds will finish with at least 37. The current bottom 3 will go.
It is interesting to look at the form.
Leeds have 3 wins /5
Everton have 2/5
The bottom 3 have 1/5

It's not just that Leeds and Everton are higher up the table. They are more productive than the others.
Burnley had a great win but lost the next game

Dougal Maguire

Points on the board are what matters at the bottom. In most cases games in hand don't mean extra points although it's hard not to think that way when the chips are down.
Careful now

Billys Boots

A fit Phillips makes all the difference for Leeds, and has for the past 3-4 years.  He makes them a difficult side to break down.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 12, 2022, 10:26:57 AM
A fit Phillips makes all the difference for Leeds, and has for the past 3-4 years.  He makes them a difficult side to break down.

Agreed totally Billy. I also think Cooper's leadership is a factor - something I have only come to appreciate with his absence. Throw in the absence of Bamford who is so important from a pressing point of view and it is clear how much key injuries impacted the squad and the season. A relatively clean bill of health and surely these worries would have been behind us and MB would have still been in post and able to finish up this Summer on his own terms, as we all would have wanted. 

seafoid

Bielsa's Aughrim was the goal difference. Still 3rd worst in the division now after a reasonable run.
With a depleted panel he needed to do something different. The change appears to have been vindicated, helped by Burnley  imploding.