The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 03, 2020, 10:05:16 PM
Today was probably the biggest result for Leeds so far in the Premiership. We could have had a draw at Anfield but it was the first match and we were too open at the back. Fulham was an entertaining but patchy performance and the Sheffield United win showed huge grit. However, Man City are still one of the best teams in Europe and they could easily have been three up after 15 minutes this evening. Leeds dug in, worked harder than they did, scrambled in an equaliser and could even have edged it in the end. City were obviously the better side and taking a point off them was quite a performance.
[/quote
Were they?
Admittedly I was only watching it in parts and I thought Leeds would be the one's to run out of steam but City will count that as a point won rather than two los.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ONeill

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 03, 2020, 10:05:16 PM
Today was probably the biggest result for Leeds so far in the Premiership. We could have had a draw at Anfield but it was the first match and we were too open at the back. Fulham was an entertaining but patchy performance and the Sheffield United win showed huge grit. However, Man City are still one of the best teams in Europe and they could easily have been three up after 15 minutes this evening. Leeds dug in, worked harder than they did, scrambled in an equaliser and could even have edged it in the end. City were obviously the better side and taking a point off them was quite a performance.

They're really holding their own....but it seems like every game is a marathon for them, on and off the field. Bound to run out of steam.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

This is going to be a short intense season. Leeds are presently making sure of not getting relegated. The end of the season will test their resolve and their squad.

ONeill

Watched that game in its entirety and what Bielsa put himself through wasn't something normal. I'd imagine in easier games he's less vocal but he never let up today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mourne Rover

Trust me Ziggy90, those of us who watched it live will know that Man City were streets ahead of Leeds for most of the game. Bielsa reorganised at HT, brought on Poveda, pushed up Dallas - who is looking like the best Irish player in the Premiership at the moment - and steadied Phillips, which made it a more even contest. He essentially outthought Guardiola on much more limited resources, and a point was a brilliant outcome for Leeds.

RedHand88

Can leeds knock on the door of the European places?

Bronco

I don't think there's any chance.of that with the current squad. Staying up playing that brand of exciting football would be a massive acheivement in itself though.

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 04, 2020, 07:56:04 AM
Can leeds knock on the door of the European places?

Hound

Well done by Leeds, honestly expected that to be a hammering given how open they seemed previously.

But that was some header by Bamford in injury time! FFS! Good job the keeper was up to it

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2020, 12:08:11 AM
Trust me Ziggy90, those of us who watched it live will know that Man City were streets ahead of Leeds for most of the game. Bielsa reorganised at HT, brought on Poveda, pushed up Dallas - who is looking like the best Irish player in the Premiership at the moment - and steadied Phillips, which made it a more even contest. He essentially outthought Guardiola on much more limited resources, and a point was a brilliant outcome for Leeds.
I watched it live.

First half an hour Manchester City was streets ahead after that with a change of formation Leeds was the better side. Ederson was poor on the goal however only for a number of good saves by him Leeds would have won that match.

ziggy90

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 04, 2020, 11:54:12 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2020, 12:08:11 AM
I watched it live.

First half an hour Manchester City was streets ahead after that with a change of formation Leeds was the better side. Ederson was poor on the goal however only for a number of good saves by him Leeds would have won that match.

That was more or less my take on the game.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Mourne Rover

Ederson clearly made two world class saves , but, with the shot count 23/12 in City's favour, they would have been pretty gutted if they had lost the game. Leeds barely had a kick for the first 20 minutes, and then showed great levels of spirit and organisation to get back into the contest. City took over again in the closing stages, with a series of chances and penalty claims, so the draw was a fine result for Leeds. It has been a crazy season overall so far, but Leeds have been one of the big stories to date.

Taylor

Have to say I was impressed by Leeds.

They really took the game to us - I thought it was going to be a cakewalk after 20mins.

Exciting addition to the PL

Rufus T Firefly

In the first game against Liverpool, I watched it through my fingers, waiting for an avalanche of goals and was relieved at what turned out to be such an encouraging performance, despite the defeat. However, with six points on board, I was a lot less concerned about the City game. Fair to say after 20 minutes, I'd have taken the draw!   :)

Always interested in the different takes people have on watching football. Did City tire or did Leeds rally to become dominant? Got a wee bit of luck with the goal and then were denied the lead goal by an outstanding save from Ederson. Still, great to go toe-to-toe with a side like City and come through with a draw.

Both Koch and Rodrigo have been impressive so far and look to be good additions. For me though, the fact that the bulk of the team was our side in the Championship has to say something about Bielsa's genius. I definitely think Harrison and Costa are more effective at this level where there might be a wee bit more time on the ball and it is less physical. I was also pleasantly surprised by Poveda's performance. Very confident.

Overall, a great performance.

magpie seanie

I watch very little of other clubs as I barely get enough time to torture myself by watching my own but I saw most of Leeds v Man City. most teams seem to get hypnotised by how fast and accurate Man City come at them early on but it didn't phase Leeds at all. Every chance they got they went at Man City. They clearly believe in their own abilities and are thinking very positively and obviously can play a bit too. Well deserved the draw and could have actually nicked it. Good to see a team play with such freedom even if it is your lot!  ;D

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 07, 2020, 12:00:32 PM
Good to see a team play with such freedom even if it is your lot!  ;D

;D 

It's a desperate pity the fans aren't back. The games against yourselves would be worth the watch for that alone!!