Wikipedia - Is this true!?

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 03:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ping Pong Santa

I was bored browsing around the factual holy grail of wikipedia when I came across the following:

QuoteCanavan is from Glencull, near Ballygawley, County Tyrone[13] and was the tenth of eleven children.[2] His older brother, Pascal, played with him on the Tyrone panel for most of the 1990s. He is married to Finola (sister of former Tyrone team-mate Ronan McGarrity[13]), and has four children, Áine, Claire, Darragh and Ruairi,[16] and has been a Physical Education teacher in Holy Trinity College, Cookstown, throughout most of his career.[13][17] While there, he taught Eoin Mulligan his point-taking technique, and the pair have been known in the media as 'master and student' ever since, particularly by television commentators.[18] He also writes a column for the Gaelic games magazine, Hogan Stand[19] and the Northern Ireland edition of The Daily Mirror.[20] In 2008, Canavan joined TV3 as a football pundit for their first year of broadcasting live GAA matches.[21]

In 2003, just over a week before Tyrone's Ulster final appearance against Down, Canavan's father, Seán, died. It came as a shock to Canavan, who had thought his father (who was already in hospital) was getting better. He decided to play in the match, stating that he knew, subconsciously "[he] was going to be playing in the Ulster final all along and Daddy certainly wouldn't have wanted [him] to do anything but play."[22]

Canavan has suffered from asthma since he was a child, and has battled throughout his career to control the ailment. He told the Asthma Society of Ireland, "I thought to myself, this is something that I am just going to have to put up with." In later years, however, improved medication has afforded Canavan what he described as, "a better quality of life".[23] Canavan is in training for the 2008 Dublin Marathon, raising money for The Spirit of Paul McGirr group.[13]

Peter once auditioned for the part of Romeo in a local production of Romeo and Julliet but was told he was far too small and bald for the role. He does however describe this moment of rejection in his life as the point he decided that he would one day become the best small and bald Gaelic footballer in Ireland.

Explains a lot!   :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Canavan

tyronefan

dont know about the Romeo role but he wasn't always bald.

you dont want to believe all you read on Wikipedia

Ping Pong Santa

I know, I relied on it for some information for coursework once and was sorely disappointed.

ziggysego

Plunkett Donaghy ended up getting the role of Romeo. Peter said it was who you know and that's what made him join Killyclogher's hurling team.
Testing Accessibility