2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 30, 2018, 10:25:50 AM
Had a look over on resdubs there. There's nearly as much written about Mayo than Galway in the early posts.

Well It goes to show where they think the real threat lies,They would expect to beat Galway handy enough, and I read somewhere else a lot of dubs wouldn't go to the final  where as a mayo or kerry would be a bigger draw.Listening to Tomas o se on radio this morning he hopes Galway don't get a hiding and in the next breath says he doesent expect it to be a big win for the dubs.hopefully the latter!😁

rosnarun

howd id laugh if sligo spoiled the party again .
few extra games would only do mayo good but I doth think the rossies or galway would feel the same .
fill yet boots on sligo now
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GaillimhIarthair

From the Bunker

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 30, 2018, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2018, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 30, 2018, 09:30:44 AM
Interesting article - forget the Galway / Dublin angle, its the €uro numbers that are quite staggering!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/reborn-galway-face-dublin-on-skewed-financial-playing-field-468899.html

Wow! Who knew.
Well I for one wasn't aware of the exact numbers!

To be fair Dublin GAA has to compete against Rugby and Soccer and need the exorbitant funds . Unlike Galway who have no such worries! It's important for GAA to be strong in the Capital. How else are you going to fill Croke Park?

Rossfan

If Kildare and Meath got buckets of money and were going well they'd put a fair few bums on seats too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

He mentions Dublin clubs get €20,000 for coaches but doesn't mention they have to come up with the other half of the salary. Mind you if Liam Mellows are not being offered the same deal then that is entirely wrong.

He also says the rate of funding reduction is too slow but that seems entirely naïve to me as many projects/employees that are being funded by this money could be under threat if funding was reduced too quickly.

I think there is a lot of hysterical hand wringing when it comes to Dublin funding but there's obviously an imbalance that needs to be redressed and I would hope there is a plan to help and support counties outside of Dublin. I'm sure there is as despite what some of the more uninformed posters here like to claim, the people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine GAA people.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2018, 03:07:35 PM
He mentions Dublin clubs get €20,000 for coaches but doesn't mention they have to come up with the other half of the salary. Mind you if Liam Mellows are not being offered the same deal then that is entirely wrong.

He also says the rate of funding reduction is too slow but that seems entirely naïve to me as many projects/employees that are being funded by this money could be under threat if funding was reduced too quickly.

I think there is a lot of hysterical hand wringing when it comes to Dublin funding but there's obviously an imbalance that needs to be redressed and I would hope there is a plan to help and support counties outside of Dublin. I'm sure there is as despite what some of the more uninformed posters here like to claim, the people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine GAA people.

Common sense has spoken. Yes these clubs come up with the other half, they get off their backsides and look for sponsorship and sell lotto tickets. It's not like the exorbitant funding is wasted! Dublin GAA get huge amounts and they spend it wisely. The rest would want to get off their own arses and stop complaining. It's not like Dublin are a special case. They just get a sh1te lot more than the rest of the country. The people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine financial GAA people.

Zulu

Not sure what a genuine financial GAA person is but I know a good few genuine GAA people involved at the higher end of the GAA.

Do you know of any proposals from Mayo clubs for coaches that would be partly funded by the clubs and partly funded by CP that's been rejected?

GaillimhIarthair

For my own club here in Galway, we 50% fund 3 x 3rd Level students to coach in a couple of our National schools in their spare time during the school year - the other 50% comes from a local business sponsor - we get €0 from Croke Park.  The coaching is to augment what  our club Juvenile coaches do with the kids at weekends etc.  It takes a lot of fundraising to cover these costs and all else associated with a decent juvenile structure within a decent size club.  We or the Galway CB are obviously missing a trick somewhere!  :-\

Rossfan

How many clubs in Mayo or Roscommon have hundreds of members to fund half the salary of a coach?
Some Clubs wouldn't have much  more than 50 adult members.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

I don't know GaillimhIarthair but 3 part timers doing 10 hours a week each is about €300 per week for, I'd guess, 25 weeks a year or around €7500 per year of which your club pays 50% or €3750 per year. Dublin clubs are coming up with €15-20,000 a year for coaches. I don't know where your club is based but would it not make more sense to join with 2 other clubs and between the three, commit to coming up with the 20K for a fulltime coach if CP match that?

This coach does all your schools coaching and runs camps etc? You could still supplement with a part time coach or two for periods of the school year and to help with camps.

I don't know if CP are unwilling to match 50/50 the wage for fulltime coaches outside of Dublin but I would be absolutely stunned if that wasn't the case. If it wasn't then serious questions would have to be asked but anyone who thinks CP want a strong dominant Dublin don't know what they are talking about.

Zulu

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2018, 03:31:39 PM
How many clubs in Mayo or Roscommon have hundreds of members to fund half the salary of a coach?
Some Clubs wouldn't have much  more than 50 adult members.

Those clubs wouldn't need a fulltime coach but could join with other small clubs to fund one. I also see no reason why CP couldn't agree to fund 60% of the salary for a coach servicing three small or medium sized clubs in rural areas.

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:17:40 PM

Common sense has spoken. Yes these clubs come up with the other half, they get off their backsides and look for sponsorship and sell lotto tickets. It's not like the exorbitant funding is wasted! Dublin GAA get huge amounts and they spend it wisely. The rest would want to get off their own arses and stop complaining. It's not like Dublin are a special case. They just get a sh1te lot more than the rest of the country. The people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine financial GAA people.

and your reply is spoken like a man who hasn't a notion how much it takes to run a club ! Have you any idea how much it takes to run even a junior club with underage teams and ladies teams? Huge money and a yearly struggle to stay afloat. Constant ticket, lotto and organizing at least 1 major fund raiser a year.

Imagine the vast majority of clubs outside of Dublin having the luxury to even stump up half the money for a full-time coach, cloud-cuckoo land!.  Would you be involved in running a club?..i maybe missed the sarcasm 8)??

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2018, 03:22:25 PM
Not sure what a genuine financial GAA person is but I know a good few genuine GAA people involved at the higher end of the GAA.

Do you know of any proposals from Mayo clubs for coaches that would be partly funded by the clubs and partly funded by CP that's been rejected?

You are absolutely right! It's has been great to see the last couple years Dublin show us what can be done with exorbitant money spent well. I don't know of any proposals from Mayo clubs for coaches that would be partly funded by the clubs and partly funded by CP that 's been rejected. There is no threat of Rugby or Soccer or Cricket in Mayo so what would be the point in trying to crush something that isn't a threat. Let's just leave things the way they are. Sure despite all the money Dublin got they only beat Mayo by a point. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: JoG2 on March 30, 2018, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:17:40 PM

and your reply is spoken like a man who hasn't a notion how much it takes to run a club ! Have you any idea how much it takes to run even a junior club with underage teams and ladies teams? Huge money and a yearly struggle to stay afloat. Constant ticket, lotto and organizing at least 1 major fund raiser a year.

Imagine the vast majority of clubs outside of Dublin having the luxury to even stump up half the money for a full-time coach, cloud-cuckoo land!.  Would you be involved in running a club?

What? Next you'll be telling us that Dublin playing in Croke Park is an advantage!