Career Change

Started by Ty4Sam, March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Taylor on August 05, 2019, 10:53:24 AM
Quote from: tintin25 on August 05, 2019, 10:36:49 AM
I did broach the subject in a recent appraisal, but to be honest I don't think it was taken seriously and my immediate manager quickly changed topic.  As I said previously, I won't be getting a pay increase unless I had an offer on the table and even then they might not do anything.  They will argue that I don't have sufficient experience in my current role, as I've only been doing it for 2 years compared to others in the team who have much more experience, however: recruitment agency reckons I could get more elsewhere.

Be careful when listening to recruiters - they will tell you anything to get you on the books.
As someone said start looking around the market to see what a comparable wage is for your role and experience.
Take this to your next appraisal/1:1 along with tangible facts and figures on your performance.

If they dont play ball or take you seriously then start looking elsewhere to get your market worth
When talking to recruiters imagine you are talking to a used car dealer. You seem to be fairly honest in your own appraisal of your experience. If you aren't prepared to make a move ask your manager for specific detail on what you need to do to get promoted and/or a decent pay rise.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2018, 03:22:02 PM
The role I'm looking at currently is a non development one whereas I currently still have some element of coding though mostly management. I'm hoping that if I do decide to go, the change of role will re-invigorate me.
But I do know that when you are doing the same job for too long, you do stagnate and that can affect your health.

Ah jeez - keep coding for as long as you can.

The minute you stop doing the actual work is the minute you start stagnating.

If yer bored, learn a new language.
i usse an speelchekor

Hardy

They have to believe you will leave, deal or no deal.

tintin25

Bumping this again.

Anyone have experience of using an alternative job offer as leverage for a better package with their current employer? I'm guessing you could only do this once with an employer?  Basically, if you tried it around 18 months after 1st time they'd tell ya to get to fcuk?

imtommygunn

If you, or whoever, feel you need to keep doing this is this not a bit of a red flag? I've done it once but tbh I would just leave before going there again.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tintin25 on February 08, 2021, 11:51:12 AM
Bumping this again.

Anyone have experience of using an alternative job offer as leverage for a better package with their current employer? I'm guessing you could only do this once with an employer?  Basically, if you tried it around 18 months after 1st time they'd tell ya to get to fcuk?

You are either going or you aren't, its your choice, a confident employer will not fall for it, seen lads overplay their hand many a times.

imtommygunn

Yeah only ever do this if you are prepared to pull the trigger.

tintin25

Thing is, I actually enjoy working for the current employer (in the main) and the people.  But I know I can get paid more with similar employers within the Industry, circa 20%.  I am prepared to go, but not a case where I really want to....but I can't turn down a significant rise in salary.

trailer

Definitely a high stakes game. 1 person only ever tried it with me and I just accepted her resignation.

tbrick18

I would say be very careful when taking this approach.
If you give an ultimatum of "give me a pay rise or else..." nature, be prepared to either eat humble pie or to leave.
I know many employers would just say to go if you want.

A much better approach is to have an honest discussion with your employer to explain why you think you should get more money. They may agree, or they might explain why you wouldn't/shouldn't get more or perhaps explain what you can do to earn more.
At that stage if not happy with the outcome, then go for the new role. If offered something paying more money, you can still go back to your employer and give them the option of paying you more but you need to be prepared to leave if they don't.
For me, that's the only way to be content with your decision.

But bear in mind, money is not the only factor. Flexible working, holidays, prospects, benefits, sick pay....all these things need to be considered. if you lose paid sick pay (for example), or if you're working longer hours the extra money might not be enough. You need to look at the overall package of a new role in terms of salary, benefits and the job itself. It can be difficult to compare roles though.

Louther

If you willing to use that tactic be very willing to move job and follow through.

Also, I've seen a mistrust of employees afterwards by those who have done it. More expectations on them and other factors not going their way - key accounts allocated elsewhere, perks, demands etc. You have to back yourself but that all depends on the role and level involved.

It's still very much an employees market at present for lot of roles even with Covid. So employers do tend to look to hang on where possible.

Very relevant point on money been one factor but not the other. In our manufacturing setting, you'll often see staff leave for 25c an hour more up the road but they ring back weeks later asking to come back as XYZ wasn't as promised and other elements not in their favour.

marty34

You'd need to weigh everything up.

Wage, happiness, loyalty, travel and pension etc. etc.

Are you guaranteed, in this economic climate, another job?

majestic

Hi folks.

I'm coming to the end of a 3 year part time masters course in Software development, to enable me to change careers. I work for a large firm in Belfast and spoke with my current employer about changing roles from an operations type role to a dev role. I was told that this would be supported but has recently been pulled and told that the role available would be more a BA type role, while keeping some of my own current responsibilities. My initial thoughts are that this is not the way to go as I am more interesting in dev/coding and want to gain experience here ASAP. They are selling the fact that I would be able to keep my current salary and would gain more exposure to the dev team and therefore help a transition in 12-18 months if I decided to go that way. Wondering what the starting salary for junior devs would be if anyone has any info that would be helpful, so I can weigh up my options?
Thanks

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on February 08, 2021, 12:46:25 PM
You'd need to weigh everything up.

Wage, happiness, loyalty, travel and pension etc. etc.

Are you guaranteed, in this economic climate, another job?

I don't care too much for money, as money can't buy me love.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general

For the like of trades, the easiest way of a change of career is delving into Health & Safety. More often than not you may be seen as the bad guy on site, however with the amount of jobs and attractive salaries available its a no brainer, especially for anyone looking to get off the tools.

If you have knowledge of the construction industry as a tradesman, you will already have the knowledge - training you receive will enable you to use your knowledge to the correct way for the job (H&S).

A course such as NEBOSH Construction, matched with 5+ Years construction experience would enable anyone to walk into a H&S job circa 50k Euro - if you can talk the talk when you get your qualification then your opportunities will be endless