The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

If this brings Stormont down it is surely time for something different.

Think it will be ok though.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 30, 2024, 10:18:23 AMIf this brings Stormont down it is surely time for something different.

Joint rule from Dublin and London.

An open threat to do that would likely be enough to keep them in.
i usse an speelchekor

Eire90

joint rule would give loyalists a reason to return to arms

Armagh18

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 30, 2024, 10:36:15 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 30, 2024, 10:18:23 AMIf this brings Stormont down it is surely time for something different.

Joint rule from Dublin and London.

An open threat to do that would likely be enough to keep them in.
Yeah smart move would be to make that known to them behind closed doors.

JPGJOHNNYG

Zero interest in joint rule would just be a massive fudge for 50 years

Armagh18

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 30, 2024, 10:56:46 AMZero interest in joint rule would just be a massive fudge for 50 years
As opposed to the massive success Stormont has been lol

seafoid

A breakup of the DUP is more likely.

Eire90

Are some of the dup freemasons is the freemasons protestant.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Eire90 on March 30, 2024, 11:15:41 AMAre some of the dup freemasons is the freemasons protestant.

Cé?

Nanderson

Because of the New Decade New Approach deal, bringing down Stormont doesn't have the same leverage as before. The executive will continue to run on a caretaker basis for 6 months so will be no loss of ministers making funding decisions. ALso an election has to be called within 24 weeks of the collapse

seafoid

Quote from: Nanderson on March 30, 2024, 11:33:41 AM

Because of the New Decade New Approach deal, bringing down Stormont doesn't have the same leverage as before. The executive will continue to run on a caretaker basis for 6 months so will be no loss of ministers making funding decisions. ALso an election has to be called within 24 weeks of the collapse
the DUP want an election like a hole in the head

J70

Wasn't expecting THAT headline when I opened the Independent app this morning! :o

HokeyPokey

I think this will leave the Donaldsonite wing vulnerable and the headbangers will smell blood. I don't think there will be a clear winner and there'll be another period of crisis, which will be compounded by opinion polling, and election results etc..

The deal now is tainted even though it's quite a separate thing to Donaldson's behaviour, but it's very much his deal. ELP is his appointee so she is weak, especially having been co-opted.

I'd assume they'll lose some votes to TUV and UUP and even more just won't be motivated to vote. So you'll see a fractured and reduced unionist vote and a more motivated Nationalist/Other vote. The DUP were just above the water line in the last LEA, so depending on how things go before then, unionism could lose a lot of MLAs. You'd have to expect them to lose at least one MP, maybe three. If Robinson was leader and lost his, that would be a big blow.

I'd sort of been thankful and optimistic to see the DUP moving in a more reasonable/conciliatory direction and some sort of normal, but maybe unionism tearing itself apart might be better in the long run.

That said, you'd have expected most people (plenty of reasonable people vote for them) to have abandoned them by now over their spectacular failures and backwardness and they've somehow always managed to keep or win back support, so they could recover or maintain.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Eire90 on March 30, 2024, 10:46:49 AMjoint rule would give loyalists a reason to return to arms

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 30, 2024, 10:56:46 AMZero interest in joint rule would just be a massive fudge for 50 years

Consider it a soft landing toward an eventual United Ireland.

In that context, a border poll is more likely to have them up in arms, and with joint rule, the soft unionists here (that is, those that could be swayed by economics) will have a better chance to see the potential benefits of a United Ireland as media focus moves from, or at least spits between, Westminster to the Dail.

I would consider formal joint governance a massive step toward making the transition to a United Ireland as peaceful and prosperous as possible.
i usse an speelchekor