Morg gone Fuels

Started by Agent Orange, November 07, 2012, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

POR did a job that no one else genuinely wanted, blooded new players, wasn't a great success, but thinking anyone else would have done a Mc Guinness type job with the resources available is delusional. Peaks & troughs are the Armagh way, always has been, people should be a tad more realistic in their outlooks. In my experience people brought up during the glory years (or who became interested in GAA in that era) seem particularly unrealistic ( not a dig at you).

The development squads delivered a minor AI title, to say the youth structures were or are off is a bit cheeky imo. Unless you think annual youth success is an Armagh birthright.

armaghniac

I agree with the general point about peaks and troughs, but you can still make a case that we have not realised our full potential in the last few years. Some of the senior performances were well below par. While the minors have been a bit unlucky, after some U-21 success mid decade, recent U-21 seasons haven't been great, even with a AI winning minor team to build from.

QuotePeaks & troughs are the Armagh way, always has been, people should be a tad more realistic in their outlooks.

Fancy players who don't defend and who have a drink after a game has always been the Donegal way. Ways can be changed.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Peaks and troughs are there because above-average talented groups of players appear together in Armagh cyclically - big difference.  We are not endowed with an endless supply of talent.

DuffleKing

Quote from: bennydorano on November 10, 2012, 04:39:48 PM
POR did a job that no one else genuinely wanted, blooded new players, wasn't a great success, but thinking anyone else would have done a Mc Guinness type job with the resources available is delusional. Peaks & troughs are the Armagh way, always has been, people should be a tad more realistic in their outlooks. In my experience people brought up during the glory years (or who became interested in GAA in that era) seem particularly unrealistic ( not a dig at you).

The development squads delivered a minor AI title, to say the youth structures were or are off is a bit cheeky imo. Unless you think annual youth success is an Armagh birthright.

Well there's not too much benefit to anyone in getting into the specifics here but it'll be 4 years from we won an all ireland minor next time they play and a couple of years before that since there was decent development squad work done imho. That's quite a void of coaching and development when those batches come through together. Hopefully the new approach will get good coaches in charge of the key development phases.

I wasn't referring to senior football in any shape or form but i will say that it's plainly untrue to say that por did a job noone else wanted or did anything approaching a competent job. He did his best though, i wouldn;t contest that. The fault lies with the people who put him there and with the people who left him there. Not sure we've addressed that particular decline either but if the Academy is well resourced and staffed then we'll have addressed the most fundamental issue as a starting point.

All of a Sludden

Hughie doesn't waste any time.  :P
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

yellowcard

armaghniac

Did Sean Gallagher arrange this? Perhaps Cavan is next!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

The Orange blood coursing through his veins has turned Red, he's been cured!

Louth Exile

Good man Hughie, you're welcome aboard  8)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

mattockranger

Quote from: mattockranger on November 07, 2012, 02:53:28 PM
Armagh's loss could be Louth's Gain!

quite Predictable alright.....wonder what the figure will be exactly
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Goats Do Shave

I hope the Louth Co Board spend his money correctly!

LeoMc

Who is the current Louth Manager?

Goats Do Shave

rrhf

mattockranger

1. 2. 3. with former Armagh coach McGurn involved too

but interestingly there could be a 4.

in the form of a player
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital