Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: ONeill on September 06, 2011, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 06, 2011, 08:16:27 PM
Brolly is correct but he is a complete hypocrite. He has spent the last 8 years eulogizing his beloved Tyrone for using the same tactics.

There's a bit of truth in this.

Eulogizing Tyrone? Sure he Eulogized Donegal as long as they were winning. The second they lost he came down on them like a ton of bricks. Brolly is a hypocrite of the highest order. He very often contradicts himself in the same sentence!
I don't think the man really knows his own mind. He uses hindsight to its maximum benefit and therefore is always right.

Leo

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 06, 2011, 08:16:27 PM
Brolly is correct but he is a complete hypocrite. He has spent the last 8 years eulogizing his beloved Tyrone for using the same tactics.

When the obserer (commentator) beomes the focus we have both got it wrong.
Fierce tame altogether

Hardy

"A big boy called me names."

EC Unique

A big boy that keeps on winning All-Irelands. ;)

AQMP

Entertaining as always Joe, but essentially a storm in a tae cup.  In sporting terms this was all a long time ago.  Can we all not just move on??  Good line from Francie though ;)

DuffleKing

Quote from: EC Unique on April 03, 2012, 10:10:46 AM
Has this been posted on here yet? Great stuff from Joe again.

http://www.derryjournal.com/community/columnists/brolly-s-bites-north-men-south-men-comrades-all-my-arse-1-3674549

It's been posted all right. Embarrassing shite of the highest order. Joe is usually quite insightful with his take on events but that is so wide of the mark. Probably fuelled by the fact that Joe was less than capable of dealing with the darker side of sport game as a player.

As an Armagh man my embarrassment at the county and McKeever's handling of this hasn't subsided and the longer these dreary opinion pieces continue to drip out the longer that embarrassment will be sustained

AZOffaly

Also apparently incorrect. This

QuoteWhen Saint Mary's CBS Grammar school from Belfast played and defeated Doon CBS from Limerick in the colleges All-Ireland 'B' hurling semi-final a fortnight ago, the Belfast students complained afterwards that they were subjected to incessant racial abuse by the opposition. The father of one of the lads described in a local newspaper how when he went to celebrate with his son at the final whistle, he was told by one of the Doon players to "Go back to Britain and play your f***ing games up there."

Was rigourously denied by the principal of Doon CBS, was all over the Leader down here in Limerick. There was also a quote from the principal in St Mary's that rubbished the article, and actually said that Brolly hadn't contacted the school to even ask them.

THE PRINCIPAL of a County Limerick School has told the Leader of his "complete and utter disgust at a sectarian slur" by Joe Brolly on his players.

In Mr Brolly's article in The Irish Mail on Sunday about Armagh's claim of "racism" he referenced St Fintan's CBS in Doon.

He wrote: "When Saint Mary's CBS grammar school from Belfast played and defeated Doon CBS from Limerick in the colleges All-Ireland B hurling semi-final a fortnight ago, the Belfast students complained afterwards that they were subjected to incessant abuse by the opposition.

"The father of one of the lads described in a local newspaper how when he went to celebrate with his son at the final whistle, he was told by one of the Doon players to 'go back to Britain and play your f***ing games up there'."

Eddie Bourke, principal of St Fintan's CBS, said the first he heard about these allegations were when one of his teachers rang him on Sunday night.

"There is absolutely no truth whatsoever in the article. It's an awful slur on the school. We're absolutely disgusted that Joe Brolly would go and write something like that without contacting us. It's a cheap shot," said Mr Bourke.

On Monday he sat down with the players of the team.

"They find it very hard to take that kind of insult. I have great regard for those lads. They had a great year in hurling and football. They won some matches that they shouldn't have won. They are a very gritty team, a very honest group of young fellows.

"There is nothing like that in them. They are very annoyed with it. We want to uphold the good name of the school," said Mr Bourke, who was on the sidelines for the semi-final in Dublin.

"I was very close to the action as were all our teachers. I heard absolutely nothing during the match. When the game was over we spoke to the teachers and coaches from St Mary's, congratulated them and wished them luck in the final.

"They came in to our dressing room to commiserate with us and they got a great round of applause. Our team went in to their dressing room and did the same thing. It was all very friendly and we parted in very good company," said Mr Bourke, who added that there was nothing in the referee's report.

He is backed up by the principal of St Mary's, Jim Sheerin.

"I didn't see the article by Joe Brolly but I've had absolutely no contact from any players, parent or supporters of St Mary's to make a complaint or object to how the Doon players conducted themselves. It is complete news to me when I heard it. It was a hard fought match which could have gone either way and it ended in very good spirits.

"I was at the match and if there had been anything I'm sure they would have expressed that to me. If people were incensed or aggrieved in some way clearly there was an opportunity on the day to alert me to it. There was nothing on the day," said Mr Sheerin.

Like Mr Bourke he says he has had no phone call in relation to what Mr Brolly has reported,

"I agree [with Mr Bourke] it is a slur on the school and he is quite right to follow it up," said Mr Sheerin. Regarding the local newspaper mentioned by Mr Brolly, the principal say their local paper is the Anderstown News or the widely circulated Irish News.

The Leader has contacted both and they say that nothing was printed of that nature.

Mr Bourke is to seek a retraction.

Bingo

Joe will have a bit of explaining to do it seems.

sheamy

He should take Joe to court  ;D

orangeman

Quote from: Bingo on April 03, 2012, 11:58:07 AM
Joe will have a bit of explaining to do it seems.

The principal was never going to confirm that it did happen now was he ?

I can't see the principal getting an apology or Joe getting annoyed.

brokencrossbar1

Joe might be alright as he says it was quoted in the local paper, I wonder which paper that is?  He ill should have run it past the school first but you'll not hear an apology from him.

Tubberman

What the fck is this about?? Now that there's (more or less) equality in the North, have some people decided they need to turn their victimhood and whinging somewhere else? Where's nearest - ah the south! Let's have a go at them for racial abuse.
What absolute sh*te.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sheamy

Quote from: Tubberman on April 03, 2012, 12:16:27 PM
What the fck is this about?? Now that there's (more or less) equality in the North, have some people decided they need to turn their victimhood and whinging somewhere else? Where's nearest - ah the south! Let's have a go at them for racial abuse.
What absolute sh*te.

Read the article before you start, ahem, whinging...

'The Armagh County Board last week accusing a Laois player of "racism" after he repeatedly taunted their captain Ciaran McKeever, alledgely branding him " a British bastard" and shouting "God save the Queen" in his face. British? Affordable housing, safe banks, steady employment and a stable infrastructure? On one view, it's not much of an insult. And it isn't racism.

What it is however, is an unpleasant attack on the ethos of the GAA, betraying as it does a certain partitionist mentality.'

(Jasus, but Armagh CB have alot to answer for in introducing the 'r' word)

jeremiah

The incident that Joe references was in the Off the Fence section in the Irish News the week after the Armagh Laois game and the St Marys semi final. It was by somebody claiming to be a parent of one of the St Marys players so don't think Joe has a case to answer on that point