No more evictions!

Started by Rossfan, December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Johnny the rights or wrongs of the banks has got nothing to do with it. It's the height of Irish bolloxology and the sort of shite you see on Facebook etc. for likes. We're not paying for water, sure it rains all year. It's absolute garbage and unfortunately the culture of chancing your arm and getting what you can for free is ingrained in society here.

You take out a mortgage or a loan, you pay it back. That's a principle as old as the hills and it's what you sign on the dotted line for. IF the bank breach that contract then they should be held accountable.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 24, 2018, 01:03:30 PM
Johnny the rights or wrongs of the banks has got nothing to do with it. It's the height of Irish bolloxology and the sort of shite you see on Facebook etc. for likes. We're not paying for water, sure it rains all year. It's absolute garbage and unfortunately the culture of chancing your arm and getting what you can for free is ingrained in society here.

You take out a mortgage or a loan, you pay it back. That's a principle as old as the hills and it's what you sign on the dotted line for. IF the bank breach that contract then they should be held accountable.

Your investments may go up as well as down but that didn't seem to be the case with bondholders when the Banks had lent themselves into oblivion.
The taxpayers bailed them out for some greater good, but I'm not so sure if that was the case.

There was no accountability there and I do agree with what you are saying but the big man also needs to play by these same rules.

Lar Naparka

It's easy enough to make a case that the McGann fella should be slung out on his ear; he  owes the money and he is way behind with the repayments so the poor bank is entitled to looking for its money and sure, who can blame KBC or any other financial institution looking for its pound of flesh money back.

It that was the full story, it would be hard to make a case for leniency for Anthony McGann. Pity about his brother and sister that they got in the way of the bank's agents as they went about their job but that was just their bad luck. Tough shit and all that.

That bucko that borrowed the money knew there would be a payback time and he can't  blame anybody else for his misfortune, can he?

But I don't think that's the full story, not by a long way.

I read an article by one of the feature writers for the Irish Times last week where I learned that up to 30,000 mortgage holders are in arrears with their repayments and around half of that number will have their homes taken from them - all done by the book of course.

Now, it's fair to say that some people will always default on their repayments but 30,000 of them, all at the same time and that's not including those who have been thrown out of their homes already or those who are stretched to the limit keeping up with their repayments.

So what happens to the McGanns when KBC regains possession of their home?

They will be made homeless for starters and that means the taxpayers will have to foot the cost of housing them somewhere. We are going through the greatest homelessness crisis in the state's history and it's steadily getting worse.

Back in the Celtic Tiger days, Bertie and his colleagues went about lowering taxes and raising wages without a bother- the good times were always going to keep coming and FG/Labour matched them stroke for stroke.

"The boom's just got boomier," was what he said one day to his critics: spend away and be damned.

Another time he told an opposition TD to go away and commit suicide when he dared question Bertie's policies. Charlie McCreevy got packed off to Europe when he urged his colleagues to slow down as the economy was overheating.

The financial regulator stood idly by a the banks and other lending institutions got in on the act and started lending money at exorbitant rates to just about anyone who passed by their front doors. The Central Bank raised no concerns either.

The good times would never end so borrow away and be damned was the attitude of politicians and bankers alike.

So between their own avarice and the banks willingness to allow mortgage seekers to falsify their income when applying for mortgages, many otherwise sane people wound up in the situation where they find themselves today- either homeless or just waiting for the grippers breaking their doors down and fecking them out on the street.

When that happens, women, children', oul' wans and young wans,  get turfed out also and all the while, vulture fund operators are getting ready to pounce. They hardly act out of concern for the common  good.

The government is of no fecking use either. FG has been in office for the last seven years and they have managed to make a bigger mess out of housing and health and just about everything else than Bertie in his most profligate days was able to achieve.

Am I the only one to foresee disaster looming up ahead?

Don't think Leo is up to the task somehow so basically we are fucked!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on December 24, 2018, 01:09:46 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 24, 2018, 01:03:30 PM

Your investments may go up as well as down but that didn't seem to be the case with bondholders when the Banks had lent themselves into oblivion.
The taxpayers bailed them out for some greater good, but I'm not so sure if that was the case.

There was no accountability there and I do agree with what you are saying but the big man also needs to play by these same rules.
There is no doubt the taxpayers got rode and what should have happened was to take the banks apart and re-structure them properly as well as dropping a few boys off at Mountjoy, but that doesn't mean the man in the street gets a free pass. If I'm paying my mortgage every other hoor can pay theirs too  ;D

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 24, 2018, 01:10:01 PM
I read an article by one of the feature writers for the Irish Times last week where I learned that up to 30,000 mortgage holders are in arrears with their repayments and around half of that number will have their homes taken from them - all done by the book of course.

Now, it's fair to say that some people will always default on their repayments but 30,000 of them, all at the same time and that's not including those who have been thrown out of their homes already or those who are stretched to the limit keeping up with their repayments.

They will be made homeless for starters and that means the taxpayers will have to foot the cost of housing them somewhere. We are going through the greatest homelessness crisis in the state's history and it's steadily getting worse.
That last 30k of people are made up of a huge proportion of non-engagers and strategic defaulters. There are people who haven't made a repayment in 10 years and I'd assume the smart ones have been putting aside a cash nest egg for when they finally get repossessed. About 115k of people are in some sort of arrears but have come to arrangment with their banks. These are people trying to do the right thing and pay what they can.

Also, when a house gets repossessed there is the possibility for it to be sold on to someone else. It isn't a straight addition to the homelss list and the house doesn't disappear. There are some folks who don't even live in the country any more and have left empty properties behind with arrears building up.

The argument seems to be that because banks were bailed out and are bo11ixes, then mortgage payments should be optional and you can keep your home regardless. Unfortunately the next bank bailout will be about 5 times bigger than the last one if that takes root. Everyone, myself included, would stop paying their mortgages and let that nice man called General Taxation sort it out. He already pays for that garden sprinkler I'm able to keep running day and night in summer time.

Wildweasel74

Like every body else I am paying a mortgage! I little sympathy for person in question, u know the terms when u sign it up! Very little said about the utter sc**bag who took an axe to a dog! He the real degenerate here!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 24, 2018, 05:38:43 PM
Like every body else I am paying a mortgage! I little sympathy for person in question, u know the terms when u sign it up! Very little said about the utter sc**bag who took an axe to a dog! He the real degenerate here!!

I'd like to take an axe to that bastard!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Then we have people who care more for the treatment of a dog over a person. Do you think the dog was a family pet the "security" team had with them or a trained guard dog ready to rip a trespasser apart?

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on December 24, 2018, 05:57:27 PM

Then we have people who care more for the treatment of a dog over a person. Do you think the dog was a family pet the "security" team had with them or a trained guard dog ready to rip a trespasser apart?

It wouldn't be Christmas without Itchy and his classic terrible takes.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 24, 2018, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 24, 2018, 01:10:01 PM

That last 30k of people are made up of a huge proportion of non-engagers and strategic defaulters. There are people who haven't made a repayment in 10 years and I'd assume the smart ones have been putting aside a cash nest egg for when they finally get repossessed. About 115k of people are in some sort of arrears but have come to arrangment with their banks. These are people trying to do the right thing and pay what they can.

Also, when a house gets repossessed there is the possibility for it to be sold on to someone else. It isn't a straight addition to the homelss list and the house doesn't disappear. There are some folks who don't even live in the country any more and have left empty properties behind with arrears building up.

The argument seems to be that because banks were bailed out and are bo11ixes, then mortgage payments should be optional and you can keep your home regardless. Unfortunately the next bank bailout will be about 5 times bigger than the last one if that takes root. Everyone, myself included, would stop paying their mortgages and let that nice man called General Taxation sort it out. He already pays for that garden sprinkler I'm able to keep running day and night in summer time.
That's all fair enough; there is little or nothing that I can't agree with. Just a matter of emphasis in places.
"That last 30k of people are made up of a huge proportion of non-engagers and strategic defaulters." That certainly is open for debate. It would seem that there are some who are making no effort to repay their loans in whole or in part but I haven't met a single individual yet who took out a mortgage, intending to default at the first opportunity.
LIke the rest of us, they have been hit with extra taxation in order to repay the debts incurred by the banks and other institutions who in turn believed their own hype and borrowed recklessly all around them. All the while they are obliged to repay the money they borrowed from the same banks. 
If a house is repossessed, the odds on it being sold on, especially in rural areas, are pretty slim- at least in the short term.From what I hear, vulture fund operators are buying up distressed mortgages but appear to be holding onto their acquisitions.
They are not making them available for social housing and that's for sure. Whatever their motives and I'm sure they are not thinking of the common good,there are, and will be, problems for the taxpayer.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on December 24, 2018, 06:00:02 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 24, 2018, 05:57:27 PM

It wouldn't be Christmas without Itchy and his classic terrible takes.

Not tonight lad

Wildweasel74

:Did anybody put an axe in a person? Must missed that p***k!

fearbrags

Brian Brou was killed with an Axe a while back  ;)

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 25, 2018, 08:21:55 PM
:Did anybody put an axe in a person? Must missed that p***k!

Are you calling me a p***k, just to clarify?