?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

marty34

Quote from: LC on March 18, 2024, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 17, 2024, 10:21:17 PMStill haven't found a regular scoring forward to give McGuigan a hand, The issue with a right footer free taker, I highlighted ages ago,am suprised Harte hasn't tried out a few lads that side for frees.

So true, McGuigan is some operator but needs support, if not sorted this could be the difference between landing the big one or not.  No coincidence that McGuigan had a quiet second half in the semi-final versus Kerry last year.

Derry's score difference is only 3 less than the Dubs.  Only for the mini dip in 15 mins V Mayo yesterday and they'd be top of the score difference in Div. 1.

That's not bad going for Div. 1.  I'm not sure why people are complaining about lack of scorers.

Derry are getting scores from all over the pitch.

What? - 3:15 yesterday. Great shooting. That's one area that Derry have improved on this year.  Scores, and more importantly goals from Mc Closkey. Points from Toner, Glass, Mc Grogan, Baker, Mc Faul and Mc Kindess etc.

People have little to be complaining about.

JoG2

Quote from: LC on March 18, 2024, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 17, 2024, 10:21:17 PMStill haven't found a regular scoring forward to give McGuigan a hand, The issue with a right footer free taker, I highlighted ages ago,am suprised Harte hasn't tried out a few lads that side for frees.

So true, McGuigan is some operator but needs support, if not sorted this could be the difference between landing the big one or not.  No coincidence that McGuigan had a quiet second half in the semi-final versus Kerry last year.

We're going over this old ground again?? McGuigan gets support from every single outfield player. This is modern football. 4 of the 6 defenders all weighed in with scores, this happens in every game . This is how Derry play, 15 defend, 15 attack.

Wildweasel74

Watched that tackle on Loughlin a no of times now, for the life i can't see how he not brought to the ground there for a penalty.

p3427977

Wildweasel74

Seen him at the game yesterday walking  around down on the pitch after the game. Not sure how far away he is, but he's not off his feet.

clawaddy

Its a funny old game. Two years ago Derry were  on the brink of Promotion to Div 1 when they played Roscommon away. They drew the game but could have won it in the last minute but for a "sequence of events" to work against them. The dropped point cost them promotion. In the final game Galway, already promoted rested some players resulting in A Roscommon victory and promotion. Next Sunday Derry play Roscommon and their approach to the game will have a big say in whether Roscommon or Galway are relegated. Different management but mostly the same Derry team???

paddyjohn

Nice to Joe Brolly back supporting Derry

Wildweasel74

Thought ole Joe said he was going nowhere near Derry with Harte in charge, was he there to watch Mayo yesterday?

shawshank

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2024, 07:35:16 PMWatched that tackle on Loughlin a no of times now, for the life i can't see how he not brought to the ground there for a penalty.

total stonewall penalty. incredible decision

Estimator

Few thoughts on the game on Sunday.  Great to see a substantial Derry following in the crowd. Thought there was more than the 9000 odd that was announced at half time, but I suppose that may have just included the tickets sold and not all the U16s as well. 

The set up at Castlebar was superb as well, the facilities at McHale Park just emphasises the how poor they are in Celtic Park. The god-awful toilets, narrow gangways, congestion (people and traffic) of Celtic Park were non-existent Castlebar.  We got parked on McHale Rd, and it was handy to get out and away especially with the guards controlling the traffic.

As for the game thought Derry played in fits and starts, some excellent football, was followed up by a litany of school boy errors.  At times we were in complete control and others we looked like one more Mayo score away from total collapse. McFaul, McGuigan, Glass all hit excellent points, McCluskey took his goal very well.  I wouldn't be too concerned with the support we have for McGuigan. And ultimately finished out the game brilliantly despite being under pressure for 15mins of the second half.

Lynch continues to mix the sublime with the ridiculous. Super save in the second half, but some of the kick out selection was baffling.  Just like towards the end of the Kerry game last year, he seems to have a blind spot on his kickouts to his right hand side.  I know its easy to point this out sitting high up in the stand, but it occurred 2 or 3 times in the second half while we were already under pressure, he'd a free option to his right, but either kicked long or looked for someone to his left.

The Ref was fairly poor as well, Rodgers was getting pulled and dragged then shrugged the player off with his strength and a free given against him. McEvoy was jumping for a kick out, Mayo lad with his back to the play just jumped straight into McEvoy, with no attempt to contest the kickout and play allowed to continue.  At the time I thought that Loughlin played for the penalty, but a couple of comments appear that this might not be the case. Would need to see it again.  Mayo keeper was taking at least the same amount of time as Lynch, yet Lynch was blown twice for it.  Even with all that the Mayo crowd were still getting on top of him.

Derry will probably be able to give another couple of players a break next week again, and give the bench another run out.  I think it would take a serious set of scores to knock us out of the league final.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JoG2

Quote from: shawshank on March 19, 2024, 01:30:42 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2024, 07:35:16 PMWatched that tackle on Loughlin a no of times now, for the life i can't see how he not brought to the ground there for a penalty.

total stonewall penalty. incredible decision

100%..and the ref knew himself, as within a minute he blew Jordan Flynn up for a foul right on the edge of the big square, that was never a foul

ck

AllStar15

Are Ballinderry and Lavey both division 2 and Intermediate or have I picked that up wrong?

shawshank

Quote from: AllStar15 on March 21, 2024, 11:59:24 AMAre Ballinderry and Lavey both division 2 and Intermediate or have I picked that up wrong?

Lavey are in Division 2 (relegated from Division 1 last season) and will play senior championship
Ballinderry are in Division 1 and will play in the intermediate championship (relegated from the senior championship last season)

league and championship are not linked, they are 'decoupled'