Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurlingballs

Hurling tonight postponed due to the Joe McDonagh cup. In my opinion it has done nothing for club hurling at all. To be now entering June and have 4 club senior matches is ridiculous. 

Last Man

I'd say that was a request from county management but I'd be fairly sure the CCC would rather see them played rather than stack it for the end of the season. Thankfully ours was played. Club life must go on.

NAG1

Quote from: Last Man on May 23, 2018, 10:17:35 PM
I'd say that was a request from county management but I'd be fairly sure the CCC would rather see them played rather than stack it for the end of the season. Thankfully ours was played. Club life must go on.

I think the clubs need to start to look to the 95% of their squads who are not with the county panel. That should be the club's priority.
The league is there to give these lads games, so what if you dont win the league who cares. IMO the league is a great chance to find out how deep your squad actually is and if those fringe players are up to coming on in the bigger games later in the year.

Granted some clubs have more players than others with the county squad and this can disadvantage but maybe time to look at the greater good.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on May 24, 2018, 08:32:51 AM

I think the clubs need to start to look to the 95% of their squads who are not with the county panel. That should be the club's priority.
The league is there to give these lads games, so what if you dont win the league who cares. IMO the league is a great chance to find out how deep your squad actually is and if those fringe players are up to coming on in the bigger games later in the year.

Granted some clubs have more players than others with the county squad and this can disadvantage but maybe time to look at the greater good.

Yes and if you have a squad big enough then its a brilliant chance, but if your are in a tight league and fighting for survival from the first match of the year (a team just coming up a league) then its tough to go without county players, the likes of yourselves can pull a win or 3 out of the bag later on in the year when needed to stay up mid to high table, when Antrim are out of Championship..

Playoffs are probably best in the case.... play all the league games and if the county say no county players at certain times thats fine, it means when Antrim are out you still have a chance to win the league if you are in the top four or stay up in the league if you are in the bottom four!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2018, 09:06:30 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 24, 2018, 08:32:51 AM

Yes and if you have a squad big enough then its a brilliant chance, but if your are in a tight league and fighting for survival from the first match of the year (a team just coming up a league) then its tough to go without county players, the likes of yourselves can pull a win or 3 out of the bag later on in the year when needed to stay up mid to high table, when Antrim are out of Championship..

Playoffs are probably best in the case.... play all the league games and if the county say no county players at certain times thats fine, it means when Antrim are out you still have a chance to win the league if you are in the top four or stay up in the league if you are in the bottom four!

Yeah there are certain ways of making it work, like play offs etc

But this bit of pulling matches over the head of 5/6 lads when there are 30/35 others then sitting kicking their heels on a night like last night.

It has to change.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Ourselves and Rossa played last night in the league. Finished 1-19 to 0-13 to ourselves and it was a good entertaining game. Rossa were up at half time and well worth their lead in the game as well but our lads dug in the second half to get the win.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

I can see two sides to the club county thing, yes you want your best players available, but a competive league will only bring players on more and maybe unearth another potential county player for the future.. striking that balance is the hardest part and god knows over the years it been done, looking at other models from other counties dosent always work, its finding one that suits Antrim and the our set up...

Having a good crowd at the games is important also, generates gate money for the club and spin offs from having a shop and a pint afterwards is also good revenue for clubs..

I did the Ports v Galgets' derby last night and the banter from the supporters makes for a good game, but even those teams are playing without fully fit/absent players due to the Christy ring competitions so its hard to gauge how well teams are going at this stage and that may also reduce the numbers at the games as 'not everyone was playing' so why bother?

but this arguement/debate has been going on for a long time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: groundlie on May 28, 2018, 08:59:58 AM
Minors beaten well by Offaly, U21s beaten by Carlow. I'm glad we are in these competitions for it can only improve us long term. Is it time for clubs to do more? Are we producing enough quality players?
Clubs are trying I believe but we are lacking a solid strategy to develop coaching standards and knowledge particularly in coaches who do not have the luxury of being an ex player. The whole idea of our development squads and how they operate needs overhauled again, too much talk about talent ID and elite players. We have some very talented players but for me as a spectator they lack the mentality to succeed when the screw is tightened. Might this be in some small way down to us putting some young players on a pedestal at an early age, defining them and possibly hampering their development into young adulthood, I don't know but there is a missing link if someone could just identify it.

Last Man

We have young hurlers very competent in all these areas yet can barely win a game outside Ulster come 17/18. There's a bit more to it than explayer/ready made coaches.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Last Man on May 28, 2018, 04:40:46 PM
We have young hurlers very competent in all these areas yet can barely win a game outside Ulster come 17/18. There's a bit more to it than explayer/ready made coaches.

As a county, both at inter-county and club level, we seem to have a very poor track record when it comes to extra time. The only notable exceptions I can think off is Loughgiel's performances in the club semis against Na Piarsaigh and St Thomas'. Off the top of my head, I cant think of any others (though I stand to be corrected).

IMHO that is as much to do with mental as physical fitness - if not more.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on May 28, 2018, 05:46:27 PM
Quote from: Last Man on May 28, 2018, 04:40:46 PM

As a county, both at inter-county and club level, we seem to have a very poor track record when it comes to extra time. The only notable exceptions I can think off is Loughgiel's performances in the club semis against Na Piarsaigh and St Thomas'. Off the top of my head, I cant think of any others (though I stand to be corrected).

IMHO that is as much to do with mental as physical fitness - if not more.

Us against Cavan Gaels and Corrifn in The same year/season  I think

NAG1

No word about the team for the weekend? Going to be a very tough away trip and the win will be needed.

hurlingstick

Quote from: NAG1 on May 31, 2018, 10:15:31 AM
No word about the team for the weekend? Going to be a very tough away trip and the win will be needed.

Whoever wins should likely reach the final. Both finalists are into All Ireland preliminary Quarter Finals this year. Winner v 3rd in Munster and runner up v 3rd in Leinster (which at present could well be Kilkenny).

old timers

manfromdelmonte

Westmeath U14s playing Antrim U14s in Robinstown today in mullingar at 1pm