Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Sorry but all you're doing here is fulfilling the propaganda of the paid manager. That somehow they have a magical insight that will nullify any opponent. It's absolute f**king nonsense.

Every defender in the noughties knew that Sean Cavanagh would slow down then speed up on his right foot. Yet it was a technique that worked in every game he played in.

Poster above made a great point about the Kerry match. David Moran wasn't vested with some amazing insight into Clarke's kickout patterns. He just had his best ever aerial outing in a Kerry shirt. He probably wouldn't have delivered quite as effective a performance had Seamie O Shea and Tom Parsons been fit for Mayo. But they weren't, and he had things his own way. Absolutely feck all to do with tactics or inside info. Just a player having a good day.

From the Bunker

Quote from: thewobbler on July 28, 2019, 03:20:23 PM
Sorry but all you're doing here is fulfilling the propaganda of the paid manager. That somehow they have a magical insight that will nullify any opponent. It's absolute f**king nonsense.

Every defender in the noughties knew that Sean Cavanagh would slow down then speed up on his right foot. Yet it was a technique that worked in every game he played in.

Poster above made a great point about the Kerry match. David Moran wasn't vested with some amazing insight into Clarke's kickout patterns. He just had his best ever aerial outing in a Kerry shirt. He probably wouldn't have delivered quite as effective a performance had Seamie O Shea and Tom Parsons been fit for Mayo. But they weren't, and he had things his own way. Absolutely feck all to do with tactics or inside info. Just a player having a good day.

Kerry pushed up on the kick out! This forced Clarke to kick long. His kick out are not long which suited David Moran. This was a tactic! I train a girls team. If tomorrow, I had to manage a team to play them. I'd know the areas to get at them. Why? Because week in week out, I see them and I know where things go wrong for them. I know what sort of ball does not suit certain players.  Players are creatures of Habit of how they foul, how they track back, how they can be isolated from the game!

thewobbler

Kerry pushed up on the kickout as for the first time in a decade, they enjoyed an aerial superiority over Mayo, and wanted them to go long. It's also a decade since Mayo 'a full back line have been involved in short kick outs, as such has been their midfield's continued superiority during that time, that there has been no need for "tactical kick outs". So they don't look for space on kick outs like other full back lines do.

This is not a David Clarke problem. It's a Mayo problem, and Hennelly doesn't fix it. Kerry didn't work this out because of Buckley. They worked this out because they'd a look at Mayo's aerial options and realised they could dominate. Moran then got his tail up during the game.

Football is a lot simpler than the likes of you make out. You didn't need inside knowledge to play to your own team's strengths.

——

By the way, id love to see a Mayo Kerry AI final. There'd be 2 O'Sheas, Ruane and O'Connor would be on the field, and Mayo could would resume control of midfield again, no matter what plan Kerry come up with.

WhoDat

And as I said, the insight offered by former managers go beyond kickouts or what player is comfortable kicking off what foot. That's information that anyone can see for themselves by watching a game.

It has nothing to do with "the propaganda of the paid manager", whatever that is supposed to mean.

If you think that a former manager who only managed these players last year and knows all of them personally is not advantageous to the team he is currently working with, then I can't help you.

WhoDat

Quote from: WhoDat on July 28, 2019, 04:36:59 PM

And as I said, the insight offered by former managers go beyond kickouts or what player is comfortable kicking off what foot. That's information that anyone can see for themselves by watching a game.

It has nothing to do with "the propaganda of the paid manager", whatever that is supposed to mean. There's nothing magical about it either.

If you think that a former manager who only managed these players last year and knows all of them personally is not advantageous to the team he is currently working with, then I can't help you.

larryin89

Quote from: WhoDat on July 28, 2019, 04:40:05 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 28, 2019, 04:36:59 PM

Give an example then?

It has nothing to do with "the propaganda of the paid manager", whatever that is supposed to mean. There's nothing magical about it either.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2019, 09:22:40 AM
Little or nothing being said about Stephen Roachford. Looks like he has had a positive influence on Donegal. More importantly he know all about Mayo and their weaknesses as he spent three years with us trying to hide or correct them. He knows first hand about Clarkes weak kick outs and about our defensive frailties. This kind of inside knowledge coming into a game like this is gold dust.

The national and probably Mayo media and pundits etc will talk up the Rochford "influence" if Donegal win this game.

At the moment not a lot to be said because Donegal are in the same position right now as they were last year and if they lose this round 3 tie like they did last year they really haven't progressed/improved at all.

I think this game is all set up for a Mayo win but if they are good enough to win it remains to seen if they do it wouldn't surprise me if David Clarke pulls off a number of match winning saves.

larryin89

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 28, 2019, 06:23:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2019, 09:22:40 AM
Little or nothing being said about Stephen Roachford. Looks like he has had a positive influence on Donegal. More importantly he know all about Mayo and their weaknesses as he spent three years with us trying to hide or correct them. He knows first hand about Clarkes weak kick outs and about our defensive frailties. This kind of inside knowledge coming into a game like this is gold dust.

The national and probably Mayo media and pundits etc will talk up the Rochford "influence" if Donegal win this game.

At the moment not a lot to be said because Donegal are in the same position right now as they were last year and if they lose this round 3 tie like they did last year they really haven't progressed/improved at all.

I think this game is all set up for a Mayo win but if they are good enough to win it remains to seen if they do it wouldn't surprise me if David Clarke pulls off a number of match winning saves.

I struggle sometimes understanding what the actual meaning of certain cliches or phrases or whatever they're called so can you explain what you mean by "you think this game is all set up for a mayo win "

Cunny Funt

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2019, 06:38:59 PM

I struggle sometimes understanding what the actual meaning of certain cliches or phrases or whatever they’re called so can you explain what you mean by “you think this game is all set up for a mayo win “
Two week break for rest and recovery and loads of time do homework on Donegal.  Horan's panel will be likely be boosted by the return of a few players.
Home advantage is better than having to travel to Ballyfofey for a win.
This round 3 tie is basically All Ireland quarter final and when did Mayo last lose one of those games? Donegal haven't won a quarter final since 2014.

Out of interest are you still playing the reverse psychology with your match views on this threads?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: WhoDat on July 28, 2019, 11:18:05 AM
Letting a manager swan off to a rival county so soon after managing the current crop of players is a major f**k up by Mayo it has to be said.

As a matter of interest, what do you think should be done to stop such a situation?

WhoDat

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 28, 2019, 07:53:22 PM
Letting a manager swan off to a rival county so soon after managing the current crop of players is a major f**k up by Mayo it has to be said.

As a matter of interest, what do you think should be done to stop such a situation?

There isn't much that can be done admittedly, but the mayo county board seem to have a bad habit of ending managerial contracts on bad terms. To my memory, they didn't get along too well with James Horan either in his first tenure. Horan never went to help out a rival county luckily for them.

whitey

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 28, 2019, 07:53:22 PM

Make them the joint manager of the U20 or U17 squad or have them sign a non-compete when they take the job (which would be impossible to enforce)

Rudi

A hash of a championship if a team who has lost 2 games makes an All Ireland semi final.

larryin89

Quote from: Rudi on July 28, 2019, 08:49:29 PM
A hash of a championship if a team who has lost 2 games makes an All Ireland semi final.

They won't make a semi final .

Are you from Roscommon?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rudi on July 28, 2019, 08:49:29 PM

Of course it is! Add to that a group of amateur players asked to tog out 6 out of 7 weeks and not even in a AI semi final! Many who are carrying injuries.

Jez, we had a Kerry team in 1980 who had to only play 3 games to win an AI.