All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

7th minute of injury-time, a point down and not playing particularly well and he does this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjXpOQQX38

MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 19, 2016, 04:10:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 03:29:12 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 19, 2016, 03:15:39 PM
FFs to COC. When he first came on the scene I never thought he was that great and that his scoring rate was more down to the circumstance he found himself in than anything else.
But hes proved that to be complete bollocks, I also thought he may be a bit of a soft touch but he's proved that BS too.

Gallsman seems to have had the same opinion as I did but wants to hold on to it despite the player in question proving it wrong again and again

His brother on the other hand looks like a good footballer but hasnt proved it at all yet from what I have seen of him, and has done nothing to warrrant on the praise heaped on him

When has he proved it wrong again and again? Diarmuid is a vastly superior footballer and has shown in repeatedly in his shorter career to date.

By his scoring rate season in season out...

Diarmuid looks quality but I've never seen him prove it with end results.

He was very good in the two games v Dublin last year, 2 points from play in both games I think

yellowcard

Watching the match again and Gavin will have selection issues for the replay. He cannot continue to keep starting Flynn as he is keeping his place purely on his reputation but has dropped way below his previous level now for sometime. Brogan is another player who must be under pressure and I'd imagine that Andrews will be difficult to keep out after his display off the bench.

thebackbar1

Quote from: muppet on September 19, 2016, 04:16:00 PM
7th minute of injury-time, a point down and not playing particularly well and he does this:

could that of been a free in for picking the ball off the ground ? it would of been a very big call

AZOffaly

Surely Paddy Andrews has to start. He's been good all year, and he's not the sort of lad that is better 'coming off the bench'. His movement is a lot better than Bernard Brogan's at this stage.

yellowcard

Quote from: thebackbar1 on September 19, 2016, 04:20:34 PM

could that of been a free in for picking the ball off the ground ? it would of been a very big call

Wasn't there a very similar incident in the final Tyrone were involved in back in the 90's?

gallsman

Quote from: yellowcard on September 19, 2016, 04:23:45 PM

Wasn't there a very similar incident in the final Tyrone were involved in back in the 90's?

Yes, because that's relevant here, isn't it?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2016, 04:23:25 PM
Surely Paddy Andrews has to start. He's been good all year, and he's not the sort of lad that is better 'coming off the bench'. His movement is a lot better than Bernard Brogan's at this stage.

That black James McCarthy got was unfortunate from a Mayo pov. Andrews scored 0-3 I think towards the end of the first half. Critical in the overall outcome.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 04:25:12 PM

Your really deperate for a row now at this stage. I'm not going to oblige you.

gallsman

Quote from: yellowcard on September 19, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 04:25:12 PM

Your really deperate for a row now at this stage. I'm not going to oblige you.

I'm not looking for a row at all - just pointing out the obvious. Topic under discussion was the 2016 All Ireland between Mayo and Dublin and the role of O'Connor. You bring up Tyrone from the 90s. To what end?

Cunny Funt

Cillian O Connor failed to score from play in the 2012,2013 Al finals at least he scored twice yesterday the first one came from a Cluxton mistake while the second one was up there with one of the best ever points from play in AI final. Now he had the element of luck because he really should have received a black card minutes earlier and if Mayo win the replay it could well be the grain of rice that tipped the scales for them.

His younger brother Diarmuid is a different type of player and probably a better all round footballer but he has a bit to go before he establishes himself as key county senior footballer like Cillian has these last 6 years.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2016, 04:23:25 PM

Andrews obviously enjoys playing against Mayo.
Got 5 from play in the replay last year I think.
Definite starter.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

gallsman

Quote from: Mac2 on September 19, 2016, 04:09:45 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 03:55:23 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on September 19, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 03:01:18 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 19, 2016, 02:29:49 PM
Give it to me, big boy. This is just exactly how I like it. Oh, yeah.  ;D

Sigh. I thought you might actually be interested, oddly enough, in a discussion.

How about a kick in the balls instead, discussion my hole, all you want to do is spew invective against a great player.

Woohoo, another one! I had no idea COC had such a large fan club! Invective? I'm impressed you know what the word even means. Pray tell, what invective have I been spewing?

A "great" footballer?! f**k me, maybe that's why Mayo can't win things. Considering that as great. Great my f**king hole. Tell me what other players you think are great and who he ranks alongside
You're looking for rational discussion after abusing a player and you're too dense to recognise it?

Right, so now it's abuse to express an opinion on the quality of a footballer or express dislike of aspects of their playing style. Yet you offer me "a kick in the balls". But I'm the one who's dense. Well done.

As for looking for rational discussion, it's a discussion board, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I can't legislate for the utter idiocy of some though, so I guess I was a bit naive there.

Jinxy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2016, 04:38:44 PM
Cillian O Connor failed to score from play in the 2012,2013 Al finals at least he scored twice yesterday the first one came from a Cluxton mistake while the second one was up there with one of the best ever points from play in AI final. Now he had the element of luck because he really should have received a black card minutes earlier and if Mayo win the replay it could well be the grain of rice that tipped the scales for them.

His younger brother Diarmuid is a different type of player and probably a better all round footballer but he has a bit to go before he establishes himself as key county senior footballer like Cillian has these last 6 years.

I wonder if a fully fit Diarmuid O'Connor would ultimately be best suited to a midfield role.
He has a similar physique to Brian Fenton and should even fill out a bit more over the next year or so.
Has the running power and football brain to play that role very effectively in my opinion.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Jinxy on September 19, 2016, 04:46:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2016, 04:38:44 PM

I wonder if a fully fit Diarmuid O'Connor would ultimately be best suited to a midfield role.
He has a similar physique to Brian Fenton and should even fill out a bit more over the next year or so.
Has the running power and football brain to play that role very effectively in my opinion.
Don't think so, Diarmuid played midfield at minor and U21 level and it never really suited him. Brian Fenton is natural modern midfielder and at his young age is going to better in that position.