All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

For anyone who's read them how exactly do they fill the pages of these 64 and 72 page special pull-out supplements for the final in the local Mayo papers this week. That's an awful lot of pages to fill on one game. Is it half ads or what? We have them in Galway as well when the footballers or hurlers were in finals but it'd be more like 16 pages.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 13, 2016, 08:04:07 PM
For anyone who's read them how exactly do they fill the pages of these 64 and 72 page special pull-out supplements for the final in the local Mayo papers this week. That's an awful lot of pages to fill on one game. Is it half ads or what? We have them in Galway as well when the footballers or hurlers were in finals but it'd be more like 16 pages.

We do lots more songs than Galway.

In fact even Galway bands write songs about Mayo.

Personally I think we should ban AIF songs until we win one.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on September 13, 2016, 08:14:41 PM

Let's not do anything too hasty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dONChKbYKs

Crete Boom

Quote from: heffo on September 13, 2016, 08:17:15 PM

Let's not do anything too hasty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dONChKbYKs

Get with the times heffo , https://youtu.be/yPs7k1Uq7-o . ;D ;D

seafoid

guy crouchback

this thread has gone a bit quite and maybe we don't have much left to say about the game its self so instead ill wax nostalgic ,this is a post i put up before last years semi

It's hard to describe the excitement I felt  on that first trip to Croke park, the 18Th of august 1985 (yes of course I had to look it up!). I was 8 years old and me and my dad were going off for the day to the big game. looking back now he was probably as excited as I was, he would have been 37 at the time, younger then I am now and in his lifetime mayo had given him very few days out in Dublin, I was the eldest so it was just me and him.  Up early for a bus to Dublin. I don't remember much about the bus journey up except that I was worried about my new flag. I was told I had to leave it in the overhead locker and I did not like being parted from it. it was the height of fashion that year, red and green horizontal bars as opposed to the more traditional  vertical. God I loved that flag I kept it for years, until it became so frayed at the edges it was little more than a collection of streamers.

I remember being out the back of the Hogan stand waiting to go in and being in awe of this huge structure. In my mind's eye it's a beautiful sunny day.  we went inside  and it was dark and forbidding the toilets were horrible and crowed and my earlier euphoria was beginning to fade. Then the magic happened, a spell was cast on me that remains to this day. We turned the corner to our section and walked towards the blinding light and there it was, Croker in all its glory, the field a brilliant striped green a field like non I'd ever seen, there was no HDTV in 1985 so I had literally never seen anything as perfect, and then there were that stands  and the people and the hill and all the blue and all the green and red. All the green and red, and my dad seemed to know everyone and every one was calling out and shouting and excited  we took our seats and I got my first lesson in how to strike up conversations with strangers at football matches. to me  the opposition were the big bad dubs so I was a bit surprised by the chatting with all the Dublin supporters, all the craic, I think I learned I was  culchie that day, ( I already knew they were only auld jackeens!) My dad had worked in Dublin years before and of course he knew some relation of the guy behind us, I was trying to get my game face on but he kept gasbagging with the enemy!!

Then the band and the parade and the anthem and mayo were doing well, Kevin mc stay tj kilgallon, willie joe padden, john finn and the rest. The excitement was too much, the game went by in flash, we drew!! I was delighted but I got the impression  the older ones new it was no good that we had lost our chance, still no harm we would be back and if not this year then next, I saw the future as being centred on my new favourite place in the world,  the naivety of youth.  Still as I said the spell was cast, the grass, the noise, the crowds the colour, the band, the players, the game, in later years the pubs, the friends, the nights out before and after, now its heading back to the day trips with kids again, the world turns. The kids, nothing sums up the GAA more than the kids that go to games big and small with their flags and headbands and hats and jerseys and a ferocious  belief in their team that is hard to maintain as the years pass buy.

So on sunday we meet again, about a third of the population of Mayo will actually leave the county and head to Dublin, we will  meet our best friends and people we haven't seen in years  as we amble down the north circular, outside gills we will meet some Dubs we know and the craic will flow, heroes of yesteryear will walk buy and dads will whisper their names to the little ones " look that's wille joe padden over there'', "See yer man son, that's Barney Rock", the kids will nod but don't really care they only have eyes for Aiden or Bernard.

Then inside and it happens all over again, the bright light from the tunnel, the incredible green, the noise the roar of the hill,  ''come on you boys in blue'', MAYO MAYO MAYO MAYO''  in response from around the ground growing louder and louder. Then a winner and a loser, Who shall it be? Doesn't really matter.

seafoid

We do lots more songs than Galway.

In fact even Galway bands write songs about Mayo.

It might be a very short ban

From the Bunker

Did not read the piece as I have had enough nostalgia to last a life time. Nostalgia  at this stage dampens the spirit!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2016, 01:20:59 PM
Did not read the piece as I have had enough nostalgia to last a life time. Nostalgia  at this stage dampens the spirit!
It's worse than inhibited ostertagia

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2016, 01:20:59 PM

If you ask me, nostalgia was way better when I was a young fella.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayoffs

That report on the news by Party Marty was shocking. Vaughan get getting a bit of free advertising, John 'glug glug vroom' Maughan talking shite and Rockford telling us we need to up the intensity levels. Marty then shares the news with us that if Mayo win on Sunday, Sam will be spending the winter in Ashford Castle.  Bizarre
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/all-ireland-final-a-mayo-win-means-all-we-know-is-wrong-1.2790121

Mayo as All-Ireland champions. How will we cope? We won't have Nixon to kick around anymore. No more jokes about the gang that couldn't shoot straight. No more sad heroes. We'll never hear Ciaran McDonald's name again. Liam McHale can go back to being an ex-basketball star. Pat McEnaney can go to Westport on holiday.
Dinner dance
Will Galway bate Mayo? Doesn't matter, Willie Joe or no. They're All-Ireland champions and managed to throw Galway an oul' win along the way just to get their hopes up. That will fairly take the legs out from under the end-of-year Galway GAA dinner dance. Maybe they'll get Aidan O'Shea along to hand out the Connacht medals.
Ah here, this is starting to get scary. Mayo as overlords. Mayo as the guy who gets the girl. Mayo played by George Clooney instead of Paul Giamatti. Everything we know will be wrong.
Famine
If Mayo win the All-Ireland, who will we cry about then? Whose famine do we adopt as our own? Cavan haven't won since 1952, Roscommon since 1944, Kildare since 1928. Sure when will any of them be in a final again? Or anywhere close to one? Mayo are interesting because Mayo, like the poor, are always with us. But if they win the All-Ireland, will they even be Mayo anymore?
These are questions of philosophy, of psychology, of theology almost. Nearly makes you hope for a Dublin win, just so we don't have to delve too deep into them.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2016, 07:09:03 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/all-ireland-final-a-mayo-win-means-all-we-know-is-wrong-1.2790121

A bit like speculating what would life be like if aliens landed.

I did enjoy the bit about getting Aidan O'Se to present the Connacht medals.

On a more serious note I presume Galway GAA won't actually have any sort of presentation/ceremony re the provincal medals. It would just be too cruel/embarrassing for the players to force them through such rigmarole.