Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 16, 2019, 11:27:52 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 16, 2019, 09:08:06 PM
The bookies odds for the game are ridiculous. I guess they mirror the weight of money that must be going on the Dubs. It's Kerry we're meeting not some first-time challenger. It's no more than a 50/50 game for the Dubs (at best).

I still feel the pain/shock of the 1975 final when a young Kerry team came out of nowhere to hammer the Dubs. The challenge this year will be no less severe.

Dublin beware!
Nothing ridiculous about the odds, was similar odds for the Semi final v Mayo which Dublin won by 10 points.  Many first time challengers would be more solid defensively than this current Kerry team.  Its 70/30 game in favour of Dublin i reckon.

In 1974 Dublin won their first senior AI for 11 years a bit different from the 2019 Dublin team going for 5 in a row.

In 1974 they had won their first Leinster in 9 years. They had not been even in the Leinster final the previous 8 years! They were as much a novice team as Kerry.

grassHarrow

Dublin trained in Clare this weekend and on Sat they had 10 hired security personal surrounding the Cooraclare pitch ....  just in case some Kerry lads crossed the Shannon !

seafoid

Eddie van Halen is the guitarist in the yellow jacket

I think he looks a bit like Jim Gavin

https://youtu.be/SwYN7mTi6HM
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

WT4E

Dublin -6 on the handicap - printing money.

14 points in the hurling probably be 14 in the football as well - hardly a classic year!

Hound

The doubt about the football final is we don't know how good Kerry might be.

I would have loved to have played them last year, as even though Clifford and O'Se were emerging as stars, Geaney and JOD were struggling and their defence was just absymal!

This year, the turnaround in their defence has been huge. I presume credit has to go to Keane in that regard. Add in the form of Geaney and O'Brien to an improved again Clifford and O'Se and, well, they're All Ireland finalists. 

They played very well against Mayo and turned it into a non-contest (Mayo missing a few in fairness to them). A very good game v Donegal, albeit Donegal didn't turn out to be as good as maybe we thought. Also has to be remembered that Kerry played Donegal without David Moran, who'd be a massive loss. Kerry were not good in the first half v Tyrone, but turned that around very impressively in the second half, and Tommy Walsh adds another wildcard factor.

As is always the case, if you take chances, Dublin will give you chances. If Kerry get 1-on-1s with Dublin defenders they will get a lot of joy. But very hard to do that without leaving 1-on-1s up the other end too, so that's a quandary Keane will have to figure out.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on August 19, 2019, 11:46:19 AM

I would have loved to have played them last year, as even though Clifford and O'Se were emerging as stars, Geaney and JOD were struggling and their defence was just absymal!

This year, the turnaround in their defence has been huge. I presume credit has to go to Keane in that regard. Add in the form of Geaney and O'Brien to an improved again Clifford and O'Se and, well, they're All Ireland finalists. 

They played very well against Mayo and turned it into a non-contest (Mayo missing a few in fairness to them). A very good game v Donegal, albeit Donegal didn't turn out to be as good as maybe we thought. Also has to be remembered that Kerry played Donegal without David Moran, who'd be a massive loss. Kerry were not good in the first half v Tyrone, but turned that around very impressively in the second half, and Tommy Walsh adds another wildcard factor.

As is always the case, if you take chances, Dublin will give you chances. If Kerry get 1-on-1s with Dublin defenders they will get a lot of joy. But very hard to do that without leaving 1-on-1s up the other end too, so that's a quandary Keane will have to figure out.

Bare stats says Kerry have conceded more per game in this years championship than last year.  Main talking point from the Munster final was how poor they were in defence, Cork should have scored a lot more than they did. Against Mayo while they won pulling up Mayo could or should have scored at least 1-20. Against Donegal they did concede 1-20 and again lucky it wasn't a lot more conceded, the following game Donegal managed just 1-10 and were knocked out of the championship.  Tyrone scored 0-18 and their supporters will be taking about their missed chances for some time to come.

Dublin have scored on average 28 points per game this summer it will come as no surprise if they score in and around that average against that Kerry defence. 

From the Bunker

joemamas

Have to disagree.
I was at the semi-final, and the Tyrone forwards were so dominant, that their outfield players were just hoofing it in, and still were winning 80% of the ball.
Kerry's full-back line is brutal. I have a feeling they will employ a sweeper(s) to stay in the game.

thejuice

I didn't think the majority of the Yerra-tales would be coming out of Dublin!

Would ye stop. Dublin will win comfortably enough.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

imtommygunn

Quote from: joemamas on August 19, 2019, 01:23:37 PM

Have to disagree.
I was at the semi-final, and the Tyrone forwards were so dominant, that their outfield players were just hoofing it in, and still were winning 80% of the ball.
Kerry's full-back line is brutal. I have a feeling they will employ a sweeper(s) to stay in the game.

It wasn't even diagonal balls - it was just hoofed up in the air lol. (That's not a critique of their kick passing - they were doing what was needed).

Armagh18

Look what Tyrone did to the Kerry defence with one good forward in McShane, imagine what O'Callaghan, Mannion and Co will do. Although the Kerry forwards have the quality to get plenty of joy out of the Dubs backline if Kerry manage to get the ball that far.

From the Bunker

Looking at the odds below, Dublin are shorter odds to win 8 All-Ireland SFCs in a row than Kerry are to beat them in this years final!

All-Ireland Final odds

1/6         Dublin

7/2         Kerry

When will Dublin's run end?

4/7         Dublin to win 6 All-Ireland SFCs in a row

13/8       Dublin to win 7 All-Ireland SFCs in a row

3/1         Dublin to win 8 All-Ireland SFCs in a row

6/1         Dublin to win 9 All-Ireland SFCs in a row

12/1       Dublin to win 10 All-Ireland SFCs in a row

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2019, 10:54:10 PM
Looking at the odds below, Dublin are shorter odds to win 8 All-Ireland SFCs in a row than Kerry are to beat them in this years final!

All-Ireland Final odds

1/6         Dublin

7/2 Kerry

Can get Kerry at 5/1

seafoid

All-Ireland Final odds

1/6         Dublin

7/2         Kerry

Can you get odds on when attendances collapse ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2019, 12:52:51 AM

All-Ireland Final odds

1/6         Dublin

7/2 Kerry

Can get Kerry at 5/1
Ros were 4/1  for Castlebar and Salthill........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM