Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Disgraceful refereeing performance I have to say.
It's not his job to try and make a game of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: TomFun on August 02, 2015, 11:08:02 PM

Crow away boys. If Fermanagh had 20% of dubs funding then expectations might be different. Dubs are heads and shoulders above all other teams commercially but still not within an ass's roar of an all Ireland. Well done.

Another newbie of the type that we see at this time every year. I don't expect that we'll hear too much from you from now on.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

under the bar

QuoteQuote from: under the bar on Today at 10:55:12 PM
Quigley is natural class, Connolly is manufactured rubbish. It's like comparing Elvis with Justin Bieber!

Quigley outshone the entire creatine brigade today.  Natural skill and normal eating will always show up the artificially enhanced who live their lives on dodgy drinks supplements!
You call the Fat Brendan Grace's diet "normal eating"?

Call him what you like but he was the most skilful and talented player on the field by a mile and still has to get up for a days work in the morning while Dublin players have an appointment with their nutritionist for a bag of supplements.

TomFun

Who's the newbie? 315 posts make you some sort of guru?What have you gotto say in the context of the post?

FermGael

Pride well and truly restored in the Fermanagh jersey.
Stood up and never stopped.
The majority of the team is 24 or under. They will learn a lot from playing in an occasion like that. Poor decisions at times cost us,  especially in the first half.
Just need to look at what Monaghan have done from their quarter final defeat to Dublin last year.
Marty O'Brien was outstanding today.
Sean was just Sean.  An outstanding talent and someone who clearly thrived of the Dublin crowd.
Some of the comments about his weight are in poor taste here.
An ulster title is a realistic aim for us now.
They players are there and we are good enough to compete at that level.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

theskull1

Those refereeing stats are pretty damning. He made a game of it. Just shows the power and influence they possess.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Line Ball

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 11:24:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: TomFun on August 02, 2015, 11:00:29 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
25-3 in fermanagh's favour the free count today.

That referee should never be allowed referee at this level again.

Out of his depth
I really loved the twee patronising of Fermanagh today.

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I haven't seen such a triumph of human spirit in a sporting context since Eric The Eel. Heroic stuff.

Crow away boys. If Fermanagh had 20% of dubs funding then expectations might be different. Dubs are heads and shoulders above all other teams commercially but still not within an ass's roar of an all Ireland. Well done.

Ah yes - funding the crutch for all pizza eating county teams out there.

Ah jaysus Indiana cut them a bit of slack. A small population and half that no interest in the game. About 20 clubs. Huge achievement for them to get there.

What are counties like Fermanagh supposed to do. Lie down and die?

The way scorelines are going I can see some counties regressing further because the gap is widening and for 20+ counties the effort is futile.  A waste of time and the bit of money they have and demoralising for a county.

Dublin can lose a game and most of the population wouldn t know or care. That is not the way it is in a county like Roscommon e.g.

I m not convinced that funding would overcome the imbalance but it has to be looked at. The fact that it is causing resentment is a problem in itself.

Croke Park's location a problem. Mostly less than half empty for games and hamstrung when it comes to holding concerts and stuff. Smaller/all counties could have done with a bit of money from Rugby/Soccer matches and Garth Brookes' concerts.

I was lead to believe that each county got £100,000 from Croke Park for the opening up to Rugby/Soccer a few years back and it was up to them how they distributed it.  In Down, four clubs got £25,000 each but in many other counties the money was put towards Centres of Excellence.  I may be wrong on this but this is how I remember it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2015, 11:26:41 PM

You had little or nothing to say of your fellow countyman last year when he helped make a game of it down in Limerick!

rodney trotter

McGrath has done a great with Fermanagh.  A big turnover of players since Canavan was there through retirement.

Sean Quigley and Corrigan 2 great forwards. Seamus Quigley would add to that only for poor discipline.

moysider

True. But it's even more disgraceful when a ref decides a game between 2 evenly matched teams and ultimately decides a championship. The first Kerry/Cork game this year being an example. It has completely changed the nature of the championship. It has given Kerry an easy path to a final and affected the chances of others.

Also, if the ref had seen the charge on Cluxton then he would have given a free out. That's a given. You can t give what you don t see at that distance and probably unsighted as well. There was a defender between Quigley and Cluxton.
If the ball crossed the line the green umpire should have raised the flag (white umpire clearly told him to but he hesitated - probably because he noted the foul, but not his job to make that call!). When the referee wen t in, all he could do was ask if the ball crossed the line. If he did not see a foul he could not call one in retrospect. Umpires can call off the ball stuff but not call fouls in play. And neither can linesmen. It's something that needs looking at but as things stand the ref probably did what he was supposed to do in that situation.
Ironically Cluxton had a go at the umpire that was sympathetic towards him 8)

Anyway it probably balances out the 45 Quigley should have had in first half and Dublin tacked on a handy point from kick-out. Another umpire error. I d say things were pretty frosty between ref and his umpires after today.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: under the bar on August 02, 2015, 10:55:12 PM
QuoteQuigley is natural class, Connolly is manufactured rubbish. It's like comparing Elvis with Justin Bieber!

Quigley outshone the entire creatine brigade today.  Natural skill and normal eating will always show up the artificially enhanced who live their lives on dodgy drinks supplements!

Creatine is a weight lifting supplement you neantherthal  ::)

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2015, 11:45:49 PM

You had little or nothing to say of your fellow countyman last year when he helped make a game of it down in Limerick!

Excuse me, I had plenty to say at the time.

I thought he did a great job.

Jinxy

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 02, 2015, 11:54:50 PM
McGrath has done a great with Fermanagh.  A big turnover of players since Canavan was there through retirement.

Sean Quigley and Corrigan 2 great forwards. Seamus Quigley would add to that only for poor discipline.

Who'd win a pizza-eating competition between Sean and Seamus?

David McKeown

Quote from: moysider on August 02, 2015, 11:55:01 PM

True. But it's even more disgraceful when a ref decides a game between 2 evenly matched teams and ultimately decides a championship. The first Kerry/Cork game this year being an example. It has completely changed the nature of the championship. It has given Kerry an easy path to a final and affected the chances of others.

Also, if the ref had seen the charge on Cluxton then he would have given a free out. That's a given. You can t give what you don t see at that distance and probably unsighted as well. There was a defender between Quigley and Cluxton.
If the ball crossed the line the green umpire should have raised the flag (white umpire clearly told him to but he hesitated - probably because he noted the foul, but not his job to make that call!). When the referee wen t in, all he could do was ask if the ball crossed the line. If he did not see a foul he could not call one in retrospect. Umpires can call off the ball stuff but not call fouls in play. And neither can linesmen. It's something that needs looking at but as things stand the ref probably did what he was supposed to do in that situation.
Ironically Cluxton had a go at the umpire that was sympathetic towards him 8)

Anyway it probably balances out the 45 Quigley should have had in first half and Dublin tacked on a handy point from kick-out. Another umpire error. I d say things were pretty frosty between ref and his umpires after today.
Have to agree with all of that but the game is far too big, fast and professional for amateur referees, they need more help as shown by the goal today
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
25-3 in fermanagh's favour the free count today.

That referee should never be allowed referee at this level again.

Out of his depth
I really loved the twee patronising of Fermanagh today.

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I agree with you about Jim Gavin. A more patronising & smug git I have never seen.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.