Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Well Brennan's already gone; McAlliskey gone; O'Neill mighten stay around for any longer,  and I wouldn't be surprised if McCurry calls it a day too. With PHarte not performing, you're soon down in numbers

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 09, 2020, 02:11:38 PM
Well Brennan's already gone; McAlliskey gone; O'Neill mighten stay around for any longer,  and I wouldn't be surprised if McCurry calls it a day too. With PHarte not performing, you're soon down in numbers

Don't expect to see any of these three back playing for Tyrone as it stands.

BennyHarp

If Mickey Harte stepped down in 2014 after losing to Armagh in round 2 of the qualifiers and his replacement's record between 2015 to 2020 read as follows;

2015 - AI semi final - lose to Kerry
2016 - Ulster Champions - AI Quarter final - lose to Mayo who go on to lose the AI final by a point after a replay
2017 - Ulster Champions - AI semi final - lose to Dublin who go on to win the AI
2018 - AI Final - Lose to Dublin
2019 - AI Semi final - Lose to Kerry who go on to lose the final after a replay.

Genuine question then, would we see this as a major underachievement for a 5 year period for a new manager and be calling for him to be replaced? We must also factor in that the backdrop of this time being that this is the era of probably the best football team in history winning 5 in a row.
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

Why would McCurry call it a day? Because he got substituted? He has been a regular this season and our top scorer.

Brennan dropped himself off the panel because he wasn't willing to stay and fight for his place, the bottom line is he hadn't done enough in a Tyrone jersey to keep his place. McAliskey may or may not come back, in an interview he gave last year he didn't rule out returning. O'Neill has had many chances now, I just don't think he is up to this level - I actually think Harte has given him more opportunities than most other managers would have.

The bottom line is no county team is going to service a forward line of 6 small, fairly slight, skillful inside forwards at the same time. You can at most fit 2 or 3 of these guys in there.

Dublin are the prototype.

You look at their forward line, half forward line are generally all 6ft players who can cover every blade of grass and chip in with a few scores, their inside men are generally all very big/powerful players who can score.

You look at how the likes of McCurry, Bradley, Brennan etc measure up physically to O'Callaghan, Paddy Small, Mannion, Rock etc.

You look at how they measure up physically to Aidan O'Shea, Cillian O'Connor, James Carr, Darren Coen - even the young Conroy lad.

You look at how they measure up physically to Murphy, McBrearty, Jamie Brennan and so on and so forth.

All the top teams play with inside forwards who have power, pace and size.

No county is going to cater for more than 2 small/slight forwards at the one time.

McAliskey to be fair does have that bit of explosive power and pace to him but the others are all really players who solely rely on their footballing ability.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyroneman

One glaring issue is MF.

We need at least 1 top class player in that position and have had average for years (on basis CC played sweeper rather than MF)

Angelo

Quote from: tyroneman on November 09, 2020, 08:24:46 PM
One glaring issue is MF.

We need at least 1 top class player in that position and have had average for years (on basis CC played sweeper rather than MF)

I do think Kennedy has potential and did well against Donegal I thought and Mayo the week before. I know some people are torn on McNulty but for me he's the best midfielder in Tyrone at present and with Cavanagh now gone we need him back in there so Harte should definitely be trying to get him back on board again.

I think Kennedy has to be a guaranteed starter now and let him build up that experience have R Donnelly/Kilpatrick/McNulty* battle it out to partner him. I'm very against putting the likes of M Donnelly/Hampsey/Burns etc in midfield - they're not midfielders.

*If he comes back into the fold

Goals_Will_Come

tyroneman

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 11, 2020, 11:11:15 AM
Enda McGinley to Antrim.

Brillliant - opportunity for getting some great experience and maybe we will have a strong candidate for future Tyrone manager on the cards further down the line......

WT4E

Is there a big news story imminent?????

:o

nrico2006

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 09, 2020, 02:22:03 PM

Didnt even realise O'Neill was still there, should have been gone long ago.  How good is Brennan?  Is the hype warranted?  McAliskey was only taking the year out, from what I hear he is coming back next season.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 11, 2020, 01:40:34 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 09, 2020, 02:22:03 PM

Didnt even realise O'Neill was still there, should have been gone long ago.  How good is Brennan?  Is the hype warranted?  McAliskey was only taking the year out, from what I hear he is coming back next season.

Brennan has all the skill in the world and a natural confidence to get the best out of it. But size, lack of blistering pace and I think a lack of willingness/resolve to put the work rate in will hold him back at county level. The bottom line is I don't think you can have anymore than 2 of McCurry, Bradley, Canavan, McAliskey and Brennan in the starting team at one time so it will go with the form player and rather than try and earn his place on the team last time around Brennan threw the towel in. He's good enough but it will take a change in mindset.

Mikhailov

Quote from: WT4E on November 11, 2020, 01:33:01 PM

I believe news is imminent indeed

GetOverTheBar

redhandefender

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 11, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: WT4E on November 11, 2020, 01:33:01 PM