Dublin v Kilkenny

Started by Bud Wiser, June 18, 2012, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think Galway and Cork would also give themselves a chance on any given day against Kilkenny. They'd be wrong 7-9 times out of 10, but they'd still think it.

seafoid

The cats are way ahead of everyone.  Tipp are closest. Cork will be back.
Galway need a few years of build up but should be challenging for honours. I think they need to get to a semifinal first though  :o.  The rest are at various stages of plodding along.

Yeah, Tipp are beatable. So I don't think it is Old Firm all the way.
And 3 years of KK-Tipp finals is enough, frankly. 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

homeofhurling8

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
Galway need a few years of build up but should be challenging for honours. I think they need to get to a semifinal first though  :o.  The rest are at various stages of plodding along.

I dont agree that the cats are way ahead of everyone, i firmly believe that we have 20 hurlers to beat Kilkenny in Croke Park,the problem is keeping those 20 lads fit,in the right frame of mind and most importantly in the right positions,thats the difference between the cats and the rest,they can fall below 100% and still beat anyone,we will need all our ducks in a row but it isnt impossible.

seafoid

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on June 27, 2012, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2012, 04:35:01 PM

I dont agree that the cats are way ahead of everyone, i firmly believe that we have 20 hurlers to beat Kilkenny in Croke Park,the problem is keeping those 20 lads fit,in the right frame of mind and most importantly in the right positions,thats the difference between the cats and the rest,they can fall below 100% and still beat anyone,we will need all our ducks in a row but it isnt impossible.

I meant over the last 13 years. How many all Irelands? Is it 8 ? Savage. 
How long will Tipp be able to keep up the tempo with this team ? 

Ard-Rí

Kilkenny have become a tribute to human endeavour. That's how good they are.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Ard-Rí on June 28, 2012, 04:07:40 AM
Kilkenny have become a tribute to human endeavour. That's how good they are.
It also helps Kilkenny that they spent the last decade in a cakewalk of a province where they only needed to start hurling in August.
It's hardly much different than Galway needing to win 2 games to win the All Ireland in the 80s.

AZOffaly

As opposed to Munster with the powerhouses of Limerick and Clare over the last 10 years? the only teams that can live with Kilkenny are Tipp and Cork. Maybe ye should go off and form your own province :)

Premier Emperor

In the last 10 years, 5 teams from Munster (including Clare and Limerick) have got to the All Ireland final.
Only one team from Leinster (Kilkenny) has made it there.

AZOffaly

And if Kilkenny were in Munster, maybe only 2 teams from Munster would have made it. Offaly and Wexford are not a million miles off Limerick and Clare, albeit a bit poorer. Cork, Waterford, Dublin and Galway are roughly the same.  And Tipp would be behind Kilkenny, slightly.

So while Kilkenny obviously have crushed all in Leinster, apart from Dublin and Galway occasionally, there's no real indication that they'd be less ruthless if they swapped provinces with Tipp, say.

The other factor is that Kilkenny's dominance has absolutely had a psychological impact on Offaly and Wexford. That's not a great reflection on either county, but it is true. Remember that back in the 90s both Offaly and Wexford won All Ireland, Offaly won 2 in fact. The sooner Cody retires the better :)

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2012, 10:01:42 AM
As opposed to Munster with the powerhouses of Limerick and Clare over the last 10 years? the only teams that can live with Kilkenny are Tipp and Cork. Maybe ye should go off and form your own province :)

Galway beat the Cats in the championship more recently than Cork did - it was just 7 years ago  ;D
That was a great match.
The rot set in the following year down in Thurles with an unmerciful drubbing.

AZOffaly

That was some game. Galway have given the cats a couple of good games since then too, I remember a good game on a Saturday evening down in Tullamore too. Galway are one of those teams, along with Cork and Tipp, that always feel they have a chance against the Cats, even if they don't :)

seafoid

Enda McEvoy had an article a few years ago about 2001 and 2005 when Galway beat the cats as catalysts for what followed- Kilkenny went upwards and Galway went backwards.

Now progress for Galway would be an All-Ireland semi final .  But I suppose the county championship is far more important  8)