Dublin v Kilkenny

Started by Bud Wiser, June 18, 2012, 08:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Not a match at all. very disappointing from the Dubs.

orangeman

Not too many seen this coming. Even the most ardent or anti KK fan didn't count on this.

theskull1

Only caught the second half but couldnt understand the dubs overdoing the short passing on such a bad day. Looked like they had had a system drilled into them that didnt suit the conditions but they kept persisting with. They didnt look great.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bud Wiser

What was that?  What happened?
I went down before the minor game to get tickets for the stand because I had a young lad with me and they were all sold out. After four hours standing in the pissing rain staring across into a stand with at least 150 empty seats I was thinking to myself "if Dublin could give Laois as big a beating in Tullamore a few weeks ago and are now getting as big a one themselves today, then maybe its time for me to stop dreaming and realize that one of the best games in the world can only be played by five or six teams?"

On the wireless coming back Mr Cody was saying, "Ah probably the weather conditions did not suit them" and maybe he is right, maybe if every county board had the same funding and training facilities because the weather conditions in La Manga or Portugal seem to have a distinct detrimental effect compared to running around a field in Ballygunner or Ballyhale. 

I blame Daly for yesterday's debacle the same as I would have blamed the minor manager had they lost that game (hurling a ball into the same 50mtr square area where the right full back and half back was cleaning them out and they had two of the best players on the field on the other side, not to mention going for a goal from a 20mtr free in the first three minutes that could have cost them in the end)

Cats did what they liked yesterday, Richie Power won balls that looked good but the challenges were both late and weak. Only for Gary Maguire it would have been 5-21  0-9.

How could a team that has all the skills, or at least enough to put up a better challenge than what I witnessed yesterday fall apart like this?  In think the answer for that is more related to Anthony Daly than Anthony Daly's team and he does not have much time to find it. The least he should be capable of doing is to shoulder some of the blame for what happened yesterday and get this team back in contention for a decent challenge through the back door.

(Said a shocked Bud Wiser after waking up with a sore head  :o)

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Hard to know what to say after that. You can accept being outhurled by KK, but they were better than us in every department. Outfought us, worked harder.

Awful performance by the players, but Daly (who has had an easy ride of it critics-wise) will half to take his share of the blame for awful tactics which didn't change when it was obvious they weren't working.

Ash Smoker

Dublin will struggle to come back from this defeat.
Daly might get another year, but the game is up for him.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 24, 2012, 07:22:02 AM
I went down before the minor game to get tickets for the stand because I had a young lad with me and they were all sold out. After four hours standing in the pissing rain staring across into a stand with at least 150 empty seats
I bet the 150 empty seats were Dublin fans who got lost on the way down or thought the Luas went to Portlaoise.
That time their footballers played in Thurles, most of them turned back half way down when they realised how far they had to travel.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 26, 2012, 10:23:07 AM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 24, 2012, 07:22:02 AM
I went down before the minor game to get tickets for the stand because I had a young lad with me and they were all sold out. After four hours standing in the pissing rain staring across into a stand with at least 150 empty seats
I bet the 150 empty seats were Dublin fans who got lost on the way down or thought the Luas went to Portlaoise.
That time their footballers played in Thurles, most of them turned back half way down when they realised how far they had to travel.

Have the Dubs drawn Clare down in Ennis?

That'll be proper championship hurling, do dog, shite the license stuff for both of them.

AZOffaly

Yep, down in Ennis. If it rains that'll cut up like a mudbath.

seafoid

This article is very good

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0627/1224318804371.html#

The championship itself is damaged because everyone wants a more competitive environment and yet counties are finding it impossible to emulate Kilkenny's high standards. But for the perfect storm of Tipperary's freewheeling tactics and Kilkenny's injuries in 2010, would we be looking at a seven-in-a-row this September?
Dublin are also emblematic of the possibilities of social mobility in hurling – an encouragement that if a county expends effort and resources in developing the game and pushing hard for senior progress – so for the team to crumble to the sort of defeat that was commonplace before the hoped-for revolution questions counties' ability ever to break out of tradition's straitjacket.
But that's the way it always has been. The big three of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary have dominated the game since its inception and more than ever in the past 14 seasons. That's why Golden Ages (1950s, '90s and to an extent the '80s) are deemed to have occurred when other counties can mount a sustained and meaningful challenge.
By the looks of things we'll be waiting a while for the next one.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Yeah much as I admire Kilkenny for being the greatest team of all time it's ( and I don't like saying it as it's unfair to Kilkenny) killing the championship buzz. If you took Kilkenny out of it Tipp would be hot favorites but 5 or 6 other counties would really fancy their chances too. If there is a God then Galway will beat the Cats in the Leinster Final. It's a big If though.

seafoid

I don't buy Tipp being part of the big 3 any more.  It's more like a duopoly and at the moment Cork aren't at the races.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
I don't buy Tipp being part of the big 3 any more.  It's more like a duopoly and at the moment Cork aren't at the races.
You mean Tipperary and Kilkenny are now the big 2 in hurling.

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 27, 2012, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
You mean Tipperary and Kilkenny are now the big 2 in hurling.

No. I believe  Tipp won 2 all irelands in the last 20 years. I wouldn't call that dominance.
Galway won the same in football. Doesn't mean they are a powerhouse. 
If the Galway hurlers got organised 2 all Irelands would be do-able in the next 2 decades. I can't see Tipperary winning all before them .

All this imperial Tipp stuff is way over the top IMO.  Tipp are more like Down are in football

homeofhurling8

If the Galway hurlers got organised 2 all Irelands would be do-able in the next 2 decades.

Ah Jaysus Seafoid,aunts uncles balls etc.....

I agree with the gist of your argument though,most other counties would fancy their chances against Tipp on any given day just like Tipp are probably the only team at the moment who  genuinely believe that they can beat the cats, of course actually doing it is another matter.