Cavan v Tyrone - 5pm, Clones, Sat 6th July

Started by tyroneman, July 01, 2019, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 06, 2019, 09:09:19 PM
The Rossies will be shitting themselves. Dublin and Tyrone to progress to the semi finals.

We won't. We will beat ye both despite the injustice of having to play two away games and our neutral game against Dublin in Croke Park.

Hound

Quote from: weareros on July 06, 2019, 10:05:44 PM
The Rossies will be shitting themselves. Dublin and Tyrone to progress to the semi finals.

We won't. We will beat ye both despite the injustice of having to play two away games and our neutral game against Dublin in Croke Park.
Ironically it is the Roscommon complaints from the first year of the back door which has since ensured that every provincial winner must play in Croke Park.

I take it the Rossies would prefer to play the Dubs in Limerick, meaning, as Connacht champions, they do not get a Croke Park game? I agree that Roscommon, or whoever the relevant provincial champion is, should get the option of Croke Park or a stadium in a neutral province for their game against Dublin, if Dublin have nominated Croke Park as their home venue for Super 8.

Not sure what to read into Tyrone. Did absolutely everything asked of them today (and a lot more), so very impressive, but the defeat to Donegal leaves question marks.

weareros

Quote from: Hound on July 06, 2019, 10:20:06 PM

Ironically it is the Roscommon complaints from the first year of the back door which has since ensured that every provincial winner must play in Croke Park.

I take it the Rossies would prefer to play the Dubs in Limerick, meaning, as Connacht champions, they do not get a Croke Park game? I agree that Roscommon, or whoever the relevant provincial champion is, should get the option of Croke Park or a stadium in a neutral province for their game against Dublin, if Dublin have nominated Croke Park as their home venue for Super 8.

This is an entirely different competition where a team could go out on score difference. In that respect two home games for Dublin, where it's known they will put up bigger scores in CP, and two away for Connacht Champions is a total sham. It's a big advantage to Tyrone too given Ros are their likely main challenger for the second spot, should they end up level on points.

Itchy

I wouldn't read too much into this result if you are in super 8s waiting on Tyrone. Cavan were so bad today they may as well have been playing Wicklow. I was critical of Meath against Dublin and today was just as bad. All our boys wanted to do was get sent off, not up for the real fight. I'm actually shocked by that today and I can tell you I've been around a long time and seen some awful shit.

sid waddell

Quote from: weareros on July 06, 2019, 10:36:14 PM

This is an entirely different competition where a team could go out on score difference. In that respect two home games for Dublin, where it's known they will put up bigger scores in CP, and two away for Connacht Champions is a total sham. It's a big advantage to Tyrone too given Ros are their likely main challenger for the second spot, should they end up level on points.

Here's one for ya

Roscommon beat Tyrone by 1
Dublin beat Cork by 7
Tyrone beat Cork by 10
Dublin beat Roscommon by 6
Roscommon beat Cork (already eliminated) by 15
Tyrone beat Dublin by 4

Cunny Funt

We won’t. We will beat ye both despite the injustice of having to play two away games and our neutral game against Dublin in Croke Park.

Not sure what to read into Tyrone. Did absolutely everything asked of them today (and a lot more), so very impressive, but the defeat to Donegal leaves question marks.

Main complaints i recall from Roscommon for the first year of the back door was having to play Galway again. Dublin like every other team in the last 8 should play just one Croke Park game and not 2.

I'd say Tyrone's defeat to Donegal matters as much as their defeat in Ulster to Monaghan meant last year and should they meet again i'd put my money on Tyrone to win.

ONeill

What is it about Cavan and Monaghan shiteing themselves against Tyrone when it really matters? Always been that way.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

They're pretty much not as good and they know it unfortunately. Too familiar with each other.

Rossfan

Poor Cavan. Felt sorry for them today.
I see the fkn Independent have  a headline "Tyrone set up Super 8 showdown with Dublin"
I suppose we should just give walkovers next 2 weeks and save our money for the trip to the new Páirc Ui Chaoimh.
When did we last play in the old one?
I'm racking the oul brain trying to recall...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Was confident of the win, but never thought it would be as big as that. Can't believe how poor cavan were. They do not look like a team that were in a provincial final a few weeks ago, was clear they didn't think they had a chance themselves today.
They really came for their pound of flesh early on too with some of the dirty challenges and off the ball stuff.

McShane is unrecognisable from a few years ago, he's rapidly developed into Tyrones star man. Donnelly and Harte outstanding today too. Mickey Harte must have shown Morgan gaaboard during the week...

Didn't see what Hartes black card was for,  was it harsh?

Hard to pick anything bad out of that today, but we are persisting with the "old" tried and tested system of flooding defence, and we all know how that fared out in 2017. Is it really necessary to have mcshane back defending when you're 12 points up?

Dublin in Omagh is going to be some night.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 07, 2019, 12:11:39 AM
Dublin in Omagh is going to be some night.

Won't be much of a night if Dublin and Tyrone win their round 1 and 2 games as they are expected to do,  it would make that game in Omagh more or less a dead rubber game and both resting players for the semi final.

RedHand88

Just saw the box Meyler got early on. Christ it's brutal. Way beyond anything which McCann did.

cavanmaniac

Cavan claw their way up a few rungs of the ladder and get summarily whack-a-moled right back down by Tyrone...has a depressingly familiar look to it.

Major question marks over that group of players now, some lads out there ought to know, and show, better than that at this stage of their careers. Drawing Tyrone was a wretched, wretched turn of events for this team and manager at this stage but to emerge with literally not one scintilla of anything positive to cling to - there is the nightmare. Graham has some job on his hands now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 07, 2019, 01:11:22 AM
Cavan claw their way up a few rungs of the ladder and get summarily whack-a-moled right back down by Tyrone...has a depressingly familiar look to it.

Major question marks over that group of players now, some lads out there ought to know, and show, better than that at this stage of their careers. Drawing Tyrone was a wretched, wretched turn of events for this team and manager at this stage but to emerge with literally not one scintilla of anything positive to cling to - there is the nightmare. Graham has some job on his hands now.

Look at the Roscommon model from last year. All is not lost!

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on July 06, 2019, 10:54:44 PM
What is it about Cavan and Monaghan shiteing themselves against Tyrone when it really matters? Always been that way.
You're the coward of the county, you should know all about shittin' yourself.