Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: J70 on February 26, 2020, 05:06:33 PM
Was just reading about this lad. I'd assumed he was some ex-pat made good abroad. Turns out he's a Londoner who supports England in the soccer and lives in the Bahamas. Nothing wrong with that (I've London-born and based cousins who go to some Donegal games), just the England support coupled with GAA obsession is unusual.

Not only that. He has gone to great... eh...lengths in his support for England.
Mayo should have ran him ages ago just for the distraction alone. You'd want a good Knock medal lest an unsavory sausage made a surprise appearance at the Bacon Factory end. It wouldn't be shoe the donkey but some poor steward trying to shoo the Mickey.

Main Street

Have Mayo already received the 250k cheque? if so do they return it or use it for the illusive academy? 

Isn't this a case of the Asses calling out the Donkey, just for the crime of being a bit of an Ass.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2020, 07:23:09 PM
Have Mayo already received the 250k cheque? if so do they return it or use it for the illusive academy? 

Isn't this a case of the Asses calling out the Donkey, just for the crime of being a bit of an Ass.

Mayo County Board will not be getting €250,000 in funding pledged by the international supporters group after cutting off dialogue with its chairman, millionaire businessman Tim O'Leary.

The funds were earmarked for the development of an underage academy, but the Irish Independent has learned they will instead be given to charities and used to buy equipment for the county's ladies football team.

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 27, 2020, 11:42:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2020, 07:23:09 PM

Mayo County Board will not be getting €250,000 in funding pledged by the international supporters group after cutting off dialogue with its chairman, millionaire businessman Tim O'Leary.

The funds were earmarked for the development of an underage academy, but the Irish Independent has learned they will instead be given to charities and used to buy equipment for the county's ladies football team.

My understanding was that this was fundraised money, not Tim O'Learys personal money.
In that case, the donors would have believed they were contributing to Mayo GAA. They may well be v pissed off that their money is not going where they expected
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

He needs to be chased down for that cash. It's ours.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Just proves the good of Mayo GAA was not his priority whilst it would of course of been welcomed but his ego is obviously a big part of this whole charade .

If it is not his own personal funds and it was raised by donors with the belief it was for the academy , there has to be an avenue mayo cb could go down to explore the possibility of receiving that cash .

But my initial thought is he will have this covered legally as he's obviously fairly shrewd with finance and the likes .

Could he say for example the mayo cb received x amount from him personally and he levelled that off with other monies ?

Amazing how we are the only county who could attract such an asshole money man .

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

AFAIK, the ISF was (is?) a registered not-for-profit organisation set up to organise funds for the development of an underage academy. I'm not an expert on New York law but it can't be much different to what we have here.
Fundraising for any event or organisation needs a licence to operate and the stated aims of the fundraising efforts must be clearly stated. IMO, that's very reasonable as those who donate to a particular cause need to know what their money will be used for.
I organised a weekly raffle for a local pitch & putt club and I had to inform the local garda supt. And give him the details, including the prize money on offer, the number of weekly tickets on sale etc.
No big deal and no problem with going ahead. I'd imagine Tim O'Leary had to do something similar, albeit on a grander scale.
That's why I feel certain that the county board must have been informed that the money was to be used for developing an academy or whatever. This is governance issues that O'Leary keeps referring to. He'd had to show his supporters and the regulatory authorities that the money raised was being used for the purposes intended.
O'Leary seems to be a bit of a loose cannon and it's hard to know what he actually told the CB  but the board members should have known in advance that donations raised from the public at large must be accounted for.
Maybe Mayo will be better off without him but if things had been different, the money would certainly be welcome.
BTW, I read recently that the meeting scheduled to take place between O'Leary and HQ was called off because Tom Ryan  insisted that the meeting take place at Jones's Road. O'Leary wanted to have the chat at his offices in Leeson Street  where he could keep in contact with his business on Wall Street. That's what I read anyway.
It's hard to credit that the GAA would pull out of a meeting if what Timmy says is true but then you can't be sure he was telling the truth.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on February 26, 2020, 05:06:33 PM
Was just reading about this lad. I'd assumed he was some ex-pat made good abroad. Turns out he's a Londoner who supports England in the soccer and lives in the Bahamas. Nothing wrong with that (I've London-born and based cousins who go to some Donegal games), just the England support coupled with GAA obsession is unusual.

I'm Mancunian, said from day one it would end in disaster; The whole story surrounding him doesn't add up, he has no real interest in the GAA.

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on February 28, 2020, 09:52:12 AM
Amazing how we are the only county who could attract such an asshole money man .

We had one of our own, albeit on a smaller scale.

larryin89

Mindspace mayo receive 35 k from o Leary this morning
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lar Naparka

Just read on Hoganstand that the Foundation was shutting down and had gifted €50,000 to the hospice.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Fair dues, good to see money go to some worthy charities in the County.

''it is an ill wind that blows nobody any good''