The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

I'd classify myself as a solid golfer. For me that means I can play golf to a standard where I enjoy it  ;D the one thing I am fighting with, and always have, is a slice from left to right off the tee (right hander). Anybody any ideas on how to cut it out? Irons and short stuff has always been solid but when on the tee I have absolutely no idea about the final destination  ;D

gerrykeegan

Best part of my round tends to be the start where each player calls out their golf ball. I hear Pro V1, titlest 2 etc then I call out Crivit 1. (A Lidl) ball. Always gets a laugh
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Orior

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on April 11, 2019, 09:10:45 PM
I'd classify myself as a solid golfer. For me that means I can play golf to a standard where I enjoy it  ;D the one thing I am fighting with, and always have, is a slice from left to right off the tee (right hander). Anybody any ideas on how to cut it out? Irons and short stuff has always been solid but when on the tee I have absolutely no idea about the final destination  ;D

On your back swing, try making sure you can see your left shoulder below your chin (or chins).
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

heganboy

a couple of things to try that worked for me with the same issue. golf gods only know if they are similar issues.

1, Try slowing down your take away and especially your transition off a shortened (say 3/4) back swing.

2. try getting the back of your left hand flat to the target just before and just after impact

also make sure you have the ball level with the back of your left heel (if you're a righty)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: heganboy on April 11, 2019, 10:06:09 PM

a couple of things to try that worked for me with the same issue. golf gods only know if they are similar issues.

1, Try slowing down your take away and especially your transition off a shortened (say 3/4) back swing.

2. try getting the back of your left hand flat to the target just before and just after impact

also make sure you have the ball level with the back of your left heel (if you're a righty)

The chins keep me warm when the cold sea breeze kicks up!! I've tried the latter but never slowed my take away. It's an action I just take for granted. Must look into it on the range. The most simplistic game in the world can be on so complicated when you overthink it.

trailer

There's literally a million things cause a slice and usually the more loft you give someone the less it is prevalent if at all. Solution get a lesson from a pro on a launch monitor who can give the proper answer. Not a solution is to ask for advice from people on a GAA forum who've never seen you swing a club.

Orior

Quote from: trailer on April 12, 2019, 01:06:40 PM

There's literally a million things cause a slice and usually the more loft you give someone the less it is prevalent if at all. Solution get a lesson from a pro on a launch monitor who can give the proper answer. Not a solution is to ask for advice from people on a GAA forum who've never seen you swing a club.

Rubbish. Slowing down your back swing is a very good tip.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

I like Rick Shiels tip videos - he has one up this week about fixing your slice off the tee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txG5LecJCr4

trailer

Quote from: Orior on April 12, 2019, 01:16:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 12, 2019, 01:06:40 PM

Rubbish. Slowing down your back swing is a very good tip.

Yeah if you want to ruin your swing.

screenexile

f**king Brandel Chamblee is some p***k going around telling lads who have actually won majors the way they should run their life.

I know we all spout shit on Gaaboard but to put stuff like that out on worldwide TV is an embarrassment!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2019, 02:55:33 PM
f**king Brandel Chamblee is some p***k going around telling lads who have actually won majors the way they should run their life.

I know we all spout shit on Gaaboard but to put stuff like that out on worldwide TV is an embarrassment!

Missed that what did he say?

Franko

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 12, 2019, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2019, 02:55:33 PM

Missed that what did he say?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2019-brandel-chamblee-questions-brooks-koepkas-toughness-leading-to-animated-golf-channel-scene

Sounds like a bit of an arse.

Puckoon

Swing path and club face. Nothing to do with swing speed. Swing path and the club face at impact dictate ball flight.

shark

Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2019, 06:00:24 PM

Swing path and club face. Nothing to do with swing speed. Swing path and the club face at impact dictate ball flight.

I had the exact same problem off the tee for years. Was perfectly straight (most of the time) with irons. To the extent that for a couple of years I played 3 iron off the tee. Eventually decided to tackle it properly - with some expert help. It was a club face issue which was solved by tinkering with my grip.

heganboy

Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2019, 06:00:24 PM

its all the physics of the when the ball and clubface are in contact with each other. the distance is down to the swing speed during that connection.
my own issues (and why the slow down and 3/4 swing worked) were because my swing with driver was too much hip and hands too early and  too fast. That was causing the hands to get ahead of the club before impact meaning I was coming across the ball (or the heel was ahead of the toe) at the impact. By slowing down and not swinging for the fences, the rhythm of usual long irons swing straightened the whole thing back up with no grip, or any other path changes required. For me- simpler was better, and I didn't really mind giving up a few yards off the tee...

but as said above, every single body is different, and what worked for me, may not work for anyone else
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity