Queries re running a club's website

Started by deiseach, September 27, 2010, 02:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

There seem to be a few lads here who are effectively running their club's website. I look at my own club's website, five years out of date and grind my teeth in frustration. I am acquainted with a man on the commitTEE who would be only delighted for someone to help out. So, fully aware that a lot of these questions are of the how-long-is-a piece-of-string variety, I'd ask:

• Does it take up much of your time?
  • Do you have to sit in on the dreaded commitTEE?
  • With all the newfangled blogging software out there, I'm assuming the logistics are relatively painless once the initial setup period is out of the way. Is this correct?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2010, 02:33:24 PM
There seem to be a few lads here who are effectively running their club's website. I look at my own club's website, five years out of date and grind my teeth in frustration. I am acquainted with a man on the commitTEE who would be only delighted for someone to help out. So, fully aware that a lot of these questions are of the how-long-is-a piece-of-string variety, I'd ask:

• Does it take up much of your time?
  • Do you have to sit in on the dreaded commitTEE?
  • With all the newfangled blogging software out there, I'm assuming the logistics are relatively painless once the initial setup period is out of the way. Is this correct?

Thanking you in anticipation.

You are right it is a how long is a piece of string question.

It can be very time consuming but there is no reason why you couldn't have as simple site that covered results, fixtures, club notes etc that could be updated in one hour a week. Remember the more you try to do the longer it'll ultimately take you to update it..

I don't sit on our committee but I've run our website for a number of years so I'd say it all depends on the quality of the information and co-operation you get from your committee.

Plenty of useful software out there alright, I'd presume you have reasonable level of ability with computers?

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on September 27, 2010, 04:42:53 PM
You are right it is a how long is a piece of string question.

It can be very time consuming but there is no reason why you couldn't have as simple site that covered results, fixtures, club notes etc that could be updated in one hour a week. Remember the more you try to do the longer it'll ultimately take you to update it..

I don't sit on our committee but I've run our website for a number of years so I'd say it all depends on the quality of the information and co-operation you get from your committee.

Plenty of useful software out there alright, I'd presume you have reasonable level of ability with computers?

Cheers, Boycey. The more I think about it the first question was a little vague. You could probably spend 24 hours a day on it if you let it. I'd like to think you could limit yourself a to a couple of hours a week. As for the rest of it, good to know I wouldn't need necessarily need to be on the committee and yes, I'd know my way around a computer