Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uisce

Quote from: redsetanta on May 24, 2017, 04:53:35 PM
Is Ben Conroy injured?

Yeah, think he is getting surgery on his shoulder which will put him out for the year i'm afraid.

Ogie

So if your Eamonn Kelly setting up & preparing for Wexford how would you go about setting up for Sunday?
We seen Corks game plan & tactics work a treat last Sunday.

redsetanta

In fairness Cork just tore into Tipp with a level of physicality and intensity that Tipp just couldn't compete with. They also won a serious amount of primary possession. The half back line bossed the Tipp half forwards.

I am not sure if we can bring that level to our game and sustain it for 70 minutes against Wexford. We can do it against Kerry and did in the relegation playoff but I certainly couldn't see us doing a Cork on it.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 25, 2017, 12:53:01 PM
In fairness Cork just tore into Tipp with a level of physicality and intensity that Tipp just couldn't compete with. They also won a serious amount of primary possession. The half back line bossed the Tipp half forwards.

I am not sure if we can bring that level to our game and sustain it for 70 minutes against Wexford. We can do it against Kerry and did in the relegation playoff but I certainly couldn't see us doing a Cork on it.

Spot on, that it is the only way. What is the difference between Wexford 2016 and 2017? Davy has thought them to increase their intensity for 75 minutes. The best plan is to fight for everything and give them no space. Primary possession is everything.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on May 25, 2017, 12:53:01 PM

While they did bring serious physicality, Cork also had a fairly clever plan. Positioning of their insider forwards and Nash's clever distribution combined to bypass the Tipp half back line. Their consequent scramble to get on ball saw them moving towards their own goal an awful lot more than usual. When they were doing this Cork half forwards opened up, forcing them to come back out. Simple.

Simple, done well, is usually the best way.

Wexford will want to play short quite a bit. This can lead to mistakes, particularly in a championship opener. Press high up FROM PLAY, keeping midfielders deep. From DEAD BALLS drop well off.
Stopping McDonald from dominating in the air will be very very important. He has a few years physically on Bergin.
It will be interesting.

Physicality, and intensity, will be vital components. But there is no point in pretending that these will be enough and that we can just go out and play.

Looking forward to it!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

I see where Michael Duignan is warning Wexford against complacency and having their eye on KK in Wexford Park. He says that Laois at home have performed very well over the years and in Willie Hyland and Stephen Maher have forwards who can out up big scores.

I like Duignan as a commentator and have seen him attend games in O'Moore Park but his knowledge of the hurling scene in Laois is very poor. With all respect to Picky he has been far from a major threat this year either. Me thinks Duignan is being somewhat complacent too.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

Not our pig, not our farm, but holy fook - http://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport/251139/the-sideline-mouthpiece-if-we-can-t-beat-westmeath-we-may-as-well-give-up-hurling.html

That will be plastered on the dressing room walls of Westmeath tomorrow  ;D

Looking at Duignan's quote above, it seems he's in good company.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

redsetanta

I see John Lennon starts at centre forward on Sunday. Will Dunphy in the half forwards too.

burdizzo

Hope he's going well (Lennon). We're light enough on replacements to plug the gaps.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

finbar o tool

i dont think we will be lacking in drive and intensity Sunday, but if we can get our decision making right under pressure, and cut off supply to Chin, then we could rattle Wexford.
Wexford will want to stop big runs from Purcell and we have to be prepared for that. I can see Picky switching with Willie Dunphy early on to support Purcells runs, and if we can be clever with our possession and feed Foyle with Purcell continuing his run without the ball we could get a few goal chances which will be a very important factor. We need Downey and Aaron Dunphy on form on the day too. Our backs will hold up fairly well but we need to keep the pressure on at the other end or Wexford will pull away with 10/15 minutes to go.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

clonadmad

Davy's positioning of Shaun Murphy early on will give us on idea of what his approach will be.

redsetanta

Don Draper

Quote from: finbar o tool on May 27, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
i dont think we will be lacking in drive and intensity Sunday, but if we can get our decision making right under pressure, and cut off supply to Chin, then we could rattle Wexford.
Lee Chin plays midfield for Wexford. He may be picked full forward, but he rarely plays there. Up your game.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on May 27, 2017, 11:09:31 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on May 27, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
Lee Chin plays midfield for Wexford. He may be picked full forward, but he rarely plays there. Up your game.

Lol.

I would be worried about  Conor McDonald. A fine talent who seems able to win any sort of ball that goes into him.

To repeat from earlier in the week, we regularly enough have a right good go at Wexford, rarely enough get a bad beating.
Our club teams always compete well v Wexford in Leinster Leagues and Club Championships.
I'm looking forward to it.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......