Monaghan v Kildare

Started by Schkite, July 18, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Can we bounce back in time to overcome a continually improving Kildare side? It will be very tough, it will take a bit to get our boys' heads right after today, and there's a couple of fresh injuries also.

After recent seasons it's also nice to be meeting Leinster opposition in the championship for a change!

The Konica

Kildare are far more battle hardened this year after their run.

I'll still tip Monaghan as Grimley won't want to lose to Kildare and he'll be under a lot of pressure in Monaghan too, the Monaghan boys will be proud too and want to show they're better than today.

I think they've better forwards also.

All of a Sludden

Kildare should win this one. Monaghan took a bit of a hiding today, it ll be hard to come back from that one.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

INDIANA

can't see any way back for monaghan after today's disaster. All their limitations cruelly shown up. I think Kildare will beat them.

Schkite

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 06:23:23 PM
Kildare are far more battle hardened this year after their run.

I'll still tip Monaghan as Grimley won't want to lose to Kildare and he'll be under a lot of pressure in Monaghan too, the Monaghan boys will be proud too and want to show they're better than today.

I think they've better forwards also.

They didn't show it today! The big names didn't show up for us today, and they'll definitely need to step it up the next day. Freeman, Finlay and McManus didn't play near what they could(albeit because they weren't allowed), a similar performance against Kildare and it's the Lilywhites into the quarters.

The Konica

Kildare ain't Tyrone and Monaghan are a damn sight better than Derry

I can't see Monaghan letting themselves down 2 weeks in a row.

Banty'll be huffing and puffing blowing the hinges off the door's before the game and Grimley will have to prove his worth now.

Jinxy

I'd fancy Kildare to dominate the middle third and the Monaghan FB line (minus JP Mone) to come under sustained aerial bombardment.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

oakleaf stateside

if monaghan could'nt stop tyrone running at them they deff wont stop kildare doin it. kildare had men running allover celtic park on sat
Dont Do It

The Konica

I don't think Clerkin and Lennon will be dominated easily at all, so I think that'll be a lot closer than you think.
Dessie Moen will go in FB, and while a but rough will have enough experience to shore that up better than most.

A few people writing off Monaghan too soon I think.

Armaghgeddon

Think you are missing the key man here.

Grimley - he was there last year.

Main Street

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on July 18, 2010, 06:38:39 PM
if monaghan could'nt stop tyrone running at them they deff wont stop kildare doin it. kildare had men running allover celtic park on sat
Monaghan defended well enough against Tyrone for the most part of the game. Tyrone only need to score 10 points in a game :)

Dinny Breen

Didn't want this draw as even though I witnessed them in person today I don't think Monaghan will play as poorly again, totally devoid of ideas they were

In Kildares favour

- Have won 3 on the trot and unbeaten in 4 championship games
- Full-back line is now settled and performing very well, Peter Kelly will pick up Freeman
- JP Mone will be a big loss for Monaghan, was playing very well until injured today
- Menatally Kildare will be strong and belief will be high conversely 6 days is too short to turn this around mentally for Monaghan, they really believed that they would win that Ulster final
- Smith is back and he is worth at least 4 points to Kildare
- Physically we will be sharp and shouldn't be tired we have beaten 3 poor teams by average of 10 points, very comfortable 2nd halfs
- Kildare play are playing similarly to Tyrone, Monaghan really struggled against that style today..

Not in Kildare's Favour

- Now playing their 5th game in row, people will tell them their tired, believe you are tired and you will play tired
- Monaghan backlash, it will come, probably 1st 20 mins..
- Grimley knows Kildare and Geezer inside out
- Dermot Earley is not 100%, a fit Dermot would dominate Monaghan, Monaghan have a much better midfield than Derry so this battle could be crucial, need Flynn to step up again.
- Tommy Freeman is not playing against the Tyrone full back line, instead he is up against Andrew McLoughlin, 'shudder'..

Looking forward to it, a tight gane and I think Monaghan will win..
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

if kildare pick up as much breaking ball again that will negate imo the stronger midfield pairing of monaghans advantage
Could be a monaghan backlash - i'd expect them to win but as you say , 6 days and such a crushing defeat makes it harder - though they will have learned a hell of a lot out there today

Bogball XV

Monaghan, especially if Corey is back, but they should win anyway.

Donnellys Hollow

I can't see Monaghan being as poor again but the 6 day turnaround after losing a final is very tough as Kildare found out in '02 and '03. Kildare are on a bit of a roll now and they'll probably go into this as favourites. We've found a settled team and a bit of good form but playing five Saturdays on the bounce is bound to take it's toll at some stage.

I think the Grimley factor will be overplayed this week. For all that he'll have an in depth knowledge of most of the Kildare players, that will count for little when the ball is thrown in.

Doubtful there'll be many changes to Kildare's team. Smith in for O'Connor will probably be the only one. A case could be made for Eoghan O'Flaherty instead of Roli but I think Roli's physicality will ensure he gets the nod.

Presume it will be held in Navan - unless they make it a double header with the Dubs match in Croke Park?

The league game in Clones last year was a great game. Hopefully this one will be as entertaining and Kildare can take their third Northern scalp of the year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?