GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

The Kerry County Board have confirmed today that David Clifford has tested positive

...for being the best footballer in Ireland

larryin89

Is it the fancy dans who were due to play New York this may ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2020, 04:39:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 05:31:00 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:40:59 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:20:45 PM
Why on earth would the GAA have ordered a full shutdown when all its members are still mingling daily at school and work?

The GAA can now follow up appropriately and will do today.

Some of you are demanding. Some of you are just twisty and nasty. Most of you are just unrealistic.

It's called leadership! The GAA has a responsibility to look after the best interest of its members and players. Regardless of what other activities its members get up to there is an onus on the GAA hierarchy to give a clear direction for matches and club activity. I'm sure they will get their act together soon following the Gov announcement but I'd have expected it to be sooner.

Again, unrealistic, demanding, maybe even twisty.

As of this morning, every u7, u9 and u11 rural Gael in Ireland was sitting in a confined space with all other children their age.

Even the under 7s would have been able to point out the flaw in telling them the GAA club had stopped their training.

Twisty?! Get over yourself!

I have an 85 year old mother, I'm at my club 3 evenings per week training teams. The last thing I want to do is carry something back to my Mum.
As a governing body the GAA has a responsibility and therefore needed to give some direction, not to sit on their hands.

I too have pensioner parents.

And I object as is strongly as possible to you claiming that the "GAA has a responsibility" in the subsequent sentence.

Just what does it take for people like you start assuming personal responsibility?

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/watch-gaa-president-john-horan-encourages-gaa-clubs-to-look-after-the-most-vulne/

Transcript below if you can't play the video. You've another person to object to as strongly as possible here.

Exactly the kind of thing the GAA should be advocating... this is leadership!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on March 14, 2020, 04:35:46 PM
Yeah and I think Sligo are due to play London.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Ros are due to play London.
Probably wont be happening......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

gaa got lucky moving the club championships to january

magpie seanie

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 14, 2020, 10:18:23 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 14, 2020, 04:35:46 PM
Yeah and I think Sligo are due to play London.

We've Galway or NY. Though I can't see it happening now.

mouview

Quote from: blanketattack on March 14, 2020, 09:48:03 AM
The Kerry County Board have confirmed today that David Clifford has tested positive

...for being the best footballer in Ireland

Galway county board mounting an appeal.

An Fhairche Abu

For the Galway-NY and Roscommon-London matches, I can't see them going ahead at any point this year now, at this stage if we see any Championship this year at all we'll be doing well.

Shane Walsh in with a good shout for the best player in 2020 so far but it's only league performances and absolutely irrelevant in the face of the pandemic affecting Ireland and the rest of the world to be honest.

Sport is so small in the scheme of things but you would miss it all the same, you'd always read about the championships long ago completed in the following year for whatever reason, I think that's where we are at unless there is an unforseen and dramatic improvement in the overall global situation.

Itchy

Whatever about the response of HQ, the response of local grassroots gaa has been tremendous. Cancelled training before the order, meetings cancelled, lottos cancelled. Offers to the communities vulnerable to help get shopping etc. The grassroots are the glue that holds society together.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on March 15, 2020, 10:54:19 PM
Whatever about the response of HQ, the response of local grassroots gaa has been tremendous. Cancelled training before the order, meetings cancelled, lottos cancelled. Offers to the communities vulnerable to help get shopping etc. The grassroots are the glue that holds society together.

Very true Itchy. Compared to the muppets in the Dublin pubs.

Last Caress

Quote from: Itchy on March 15, 2020, 10:54:19 PM
Have to agree with you itchy. Our club has been leading the way with help and support for the elderly and vulnerable people in our community at this time.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 15, 2020, 10:37:54 PM
For the Galway-NY and Roscommon-London matches, I can't see them going ahead at any point this year now, at this stage if we see any Championship this year at all we'll be doing well.

Shane Walsh in with a good shout for the best player in 2020 so far but it's only league performances and absolutely irrelevant in the face of the pandemic affecting Ireland and the rest of the world to be honest.

Sport is so small in the scheme of things but you would miss it all the same, you'd always read about the championships long ago completed in the following year for whatever reason, I think that's where we are at unless there is an unforseen and dramatic improvement in the overall global situation.
https://www.the42.ie/galway-uncertain-new-york-championship-5047442-Mar2020/?

I'd think most would agree the chances of the London, New York championship games going ahead in May is between slim and none. I'd hope supporters that was to travel over will get some refunds on flights and accommodation.

armaghniac

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 16, 2020, 05:41:30 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/croke-park-to-be-used-as-drive-thru-covid-19-testing-facility-39048327.html

Another indication that there will be no games on for the foreseeable future

It is a good idea though. Croke park is a big site, not going to be used in present crisis, where everyone knows where it is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B