John Morrison RIP

Started by bloody mary, February 12, 2019, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Big character, never conformed and you could say he was eccentric but he always thought outside the box. He had a great way with people as he was a very positive person. RIP John.

Rossfan

Sorry to hear this.
RIP John.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Echo mayomick's comment about him being a fans favourite in 06. Didn't know he was unwell. RIP John.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omaghjoe

Itchy

Sad news. Enjoyed his articles in Gaelic life. Always thinking outside the box. Seemed like a real character. Condolences to his family and friends.

seafoid

Loads of comments here
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0212/1029122-gaa-coach-john-morrison-dies/

Turlough O Brien  @TurloughCarlow

Devastated & distraught to hear of John's passing. One of my dearest friends, a father figure to me. He did so much for me as a coach & a person. Brought me into his sessions in Mayo, Leitrim, Cork, shared all he knew. Moulded me & 1000s of others. Ní bheidh a Leithéad ann aris
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pioneering-gaelic-football-coach-john-morrison-dies-1.3791404

Pioneering Gaelic football coach John Morrison dies

Armagh man's genial personality was always directed at banishing negativity

Seán Moran

The sheer geographical breadth of the tributes being paid to John Morrison, whose death was announced on Tuesday, tells its own tale about his widespread influence as a coach.
Although he was involved with management in a number of counties, often with Derry-based manager Mickey Moran, the Armagh man's most abiding legacy will be as a pioneering coach of football players.

There's hardly a county where he didn't spread his gospel in tutorials and at games development conferences.
As manager of Antrim, he put them through their paces to the accompaniment of house music. He also famously used balloons to train centrefielders and the force of his genial personality was always directed at banishing negativity in individual players and teams.

His high point as an intercounty coach was helping Moran guide Mayo to the 2006 All-Ireland final, beating Dublin in the semi-final, where they were outplayed by a Kerry team that was simply better. He also worked with Derry, Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan and Armagh.

Yet there are so many stories of how he helped individuals to improve their game through personal tuition. One of those was Armagh's Paul McGrane, All-Ireland winner and All Star.

Speaking to Keith Duggan in these pages in 2005, John Morrison explained his advice.

"The two things that needed changing were the position of his feet when he jumped into the catch and the trajectory of his arms when he met the ball. It used to be that his feet trailed, whereas now he jumps knee raised and his hands are in front of his face instead of straining behind his head.

"The reason for the balloons was that they just hang up there and they gave him a chance to get his radar right. With anything like that, you have to be really willing in order to break down your game and reconstruct it. Paul wanted to know what he could do. I told him I would have him hanging up in the air. And he worked at it. Then one evening after a club game, I think it was, he rang me delighted and said, 'John, I was hanging tonight'."
He influenced many readers with his coaching books and manuals as well as up until recently a column in Gaelic Life.

More than 10 years ago, he was telling anyone who would listen that Dublin were now taking games development so seriously that it would be only a matter of time before the county again became successful.

He was a lifelong member of Armagh Harps.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Mickey and John gave us an a crazy wonderful year in '06. Great Summer. Thanks John, RIP.

bannside

John was part of a triumphiate that included Philip Kerr and Terence Mc Williams who were knocking out coaching manuals to those fledgling coaches across Ulster and beyond in the early to mid nineties. One I recall was "games for better team play" and it was a mile ahead of its time.

He invited me to a Derry training session he was taking along with Mickey Moran around 2004, and again, that session was like nothing else I had seen.

A true gentleman, RIP Big Man.

Maroon Manc

I was reminded yesterday that John came over to Manchester to do a coaching course probably over 15 years ago, can't remember much apart from what a character John was.

Armamike

John managed our club for a season in the early 90s. I think it was probably one of his first club roles outside of his own club, the Harps (could be wrong).  He took a bit of a rabble of a squad and won the league and junior championship with them that year.  It got him noticed and the county job came calling at the end of that season.  At one of the first training sessions the usual suspects were messing about and questioning things. John used his superior wit and intelligence to quell the ejeets among them.  At the first session too he told them they needed to learn how to run properly!  Puzzled looks all around. He was right though, and as others have said here, he liked to deconstruct things.  He was a huge figure in Armagh football over many years and will be badly missed. RIP.
That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

A few funny stories about him but he was always thinking differently!  He was a teacher in school for my last year in the Abbey and he was a jovial character.  He had us doing flexibility stuff I recall and it was excellent....not that I was ever flexible but it helped! He also insisted on doing goals in the teachers/pupils game and milled anyone who came in round him ;D

Think he washed the feet of the Armagh players with Holy Water once before a game which they went on to lose...I'm sure I recall Benny Tierney relaying this story once. 

The big thing about him was that he was so absolutely genuine in everything he did.  No matter how outlandish it may seem you believed in him and he believed in you and that stood out in any conversation about him.

RIP John

grounded

Desperate sad news. Had a few coaching sessions with John and I will always remember his positively, encouragement and definitely his eccentricity which was a breath of fresh air. Rest in peace.

rrhf

Brought an original and eccentric approach underpinned with genuine love and understanding of the game. My sympathies to his family club and friends.

Sportacus

RIP. 
At one stage he had the Antrim lads warming up to dance music!  A great character in the GAA.