FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2021, 12:16:46 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2021, 11:26:23 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 12, 2021, 11:14:39 AM
Entertaining enough game and I think you can see Kennys vision for the team becoming more solid. We looked relatively comfortable at the back for a change and opened up Portugal a few times. The next qualifying campaign the results will have to follow as the honeymoon period will be over then.

The booing of Ronaldo was a tiresome sideshow. He shut them up showing a little of class at the end giving his jersey to the young girl who ran on the pitch. Why the need to boo a player just because he is world class or for god knows what reason.

There are too many LIverpool fans. The same happened Fernandes when he went off...

MR2 because of results. Far from given we'll beat them.

You think people would identify as Irish fans first and Liverpool/Man Utd fans 2nd. My kids were there and they were looking forward to seeing Ronaldo and while he wasnt at his best they will remember fat arm chair fans roaring at him that he is a sex offender and booing him instead. This is why I can never understand this "we" fascination with English club soccer.
The booing of Ronaldo was tedious. It reminded me of the booing of Jaap Stam in that 2001 game v Holland, I don't know what Jaap's crime was then, leaving Man u to play elsewhere?
Sometimes Irish football supporters are a national embarrassment.
But as it turned out the booing coincided with some of Jaap's most embarrassing errors in play, it gained some comical element. There was nothing comical about the booing of Ronaldo.
Defense was very good last night and considering we're struggling with quality in every other area the team performed very well. Kenny most definitely has the team with him.

themac_23

The fact our main striking threat is a player who can hardly get a kick for WBA says a lot. listen we played well the other night, but its easy to play against a top team when the result is irrelevant and already eliminated the 'go and give it a lash' mentality. for me the big tests for Kenny so far have been failed, im willing to give him the next qualifying campaign but id much rather beat lesser teams when the game means something than draw with 1 of the big teams when it means F all

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 12, 2021, 08:27:57 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 12, 2021, 06:23:19 PM
Certainly can't fault the effort of the lads in the last couple of games, plenty of potential in this group of players, are improving with each game and to qualify for a major competition in the years ahead has to be a objective.

Egan, Duffy was the best defenders on show last night, Coleman showed his good and bad sides, the good the block on Ronaldos shot 1st half, bad totally switching off to allow Ronaldo in for a free header 2nd half and more often than not he scores those type of chances. Robinson, Doherty, Ogbene put in a serious shift for their side.

Need so many more of them playing at a higher club level though, until then we'll be expecting them to be much greater than the sum of their parts. Particularly need more (creative) attacking options.
The options available to promising Irish teenagers are much more restricted than they used to be. Neither part of the island has a development infrastructure to compare with what England used to offer. Fixing this will take time and money.

GJL

One of the first ways to fixing it is an all Ireland league leading to an all Ireland team. Having two different leagues and two different national teams on an island of this size make zero sense.

seafoid

Quote from: GJL on November 13, 2021, 05:43:29 PM
One of the first ways to fixing it is an all Ireland league leading to an all Ireland team. Having two different leagues and two different national teams on an island of this size make zero sense.
Maybe it did when England was finishing players but it certainly does not now.

Baile Brigín 2

How will the full time LOI mergimg with the part time IL improve youth development?

I would love to see an AIL but it's painted as a magic bullet. If lads won't go and see Sligo or Waterford visiting I doubt Carrick or Warrenpoint will open their wallets.

GJL

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 13, 2021, 06:19:32 PM

How will the full time LOI mergimg with the part time IL improve youth development?

I would love to see an AIL but it's painted as a magic bullet. If lads won't go and see Sligo or Waterford visiting I doubt Carrick or Warrenpoint will open their wallets.

I would imagine an all Ireland league would attract more sponsorship for both the league itself and the teams involved. It wouldn't be the magic fix over night but long term it definitely would make more sense and help.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GJL on November 13, 2021, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 13, 2021, 06:19:32 PM

I would imagine an all Ireland league would attract more sponsorship for both the league itself and the teams involved. It wouldn't be the magic fix over night but long term it definitely would make more sense and help.

Why? Peoole keep saying the above like ot's a formality. I get that Rovers v Linfield could be marketed as a big game and has huge potential, but the LoI is a long way in front. So you would have the top half of LoI clubs and the rest IL. Where does this additional interest and money come from week in week out?

GJL

What Do you suggest? Leave it as is?  The last 10 years or so the six counties have produced a better 'national' team than Ireland have. My interest is in an all Ireland team. The first step to this is an all Ireland league.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GJL on November 13, 2021, 07:00:20 PM
What Do you suggest? Leave it as is?  The last 10 years or so the six counties have produced a better 'national' team than Ireland have. My interest is in an all Ireland team. The first step to this is an all Ireland league.

I have said I think it's a good idea. But those selling it as a panacea to everything can't seem to explain why

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2021, 11:15:10 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 11, 2021, 10:43:02 PM
Ronaldo thrives on that sort of stuff! There is nothing he loves more than being the Villain - or the hero depending on where you are looking from.

Liam Brady very cold and sore on analysis this evening. Results have been up and down, but one has to remember Kenny did not inherit a team full of confidence and direction. Blooding new player, a new system and dealing with the Covid malarkey was not an easy task.

I like football and to see it played properly. I realise it's a results game. But jez, you want to go to be entertained with skill, technique and good positional play.

So you didn't enjoy Big Jacks time ?

I liked Big Jack's time up to Italia '90. After that it was awful. Jack had no plan B, Did not blood players.

We finished in a play-off v Netherlands in '95 with 7 defenders on the pitch in a game we were chasing!

Itchy

Quote from: themac_23 on November 13, 2021, 10:11:14 AM
The fact our main striking threat is a player who can hardly get a kick for WBA says a lot. listen we played well the other night, but its easy to play against a top team when the result is irrelevant and already eliminated the 'go and give it a lash' mentality. for me the big tests for Kenny so far have been failed, im willing to give him the next qualifying campaign but id much rather beat lesser teams when the game means something than draw with 1 of the big teams when it means F all

Your post is full of hypocrisy. Is it Kennys fault that Robinson doesn't always start for West Brom. By saying that you admit we have players no where near the level of Portugal and Serbia but you seem to be implying finishing behind them is a failure?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid