Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2018, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 24, 2018, 08:55:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 24, 2018, 08:12:59 PM
Delaney is some gobshite.

Mick should have the job with no ridiculous arbitrary time limits imposed on him.

This is a stroke to appease the perpetually moaning, always unhappy League of Ireland set.

I think Mick could well pull out altogether now - he's being shafted before he has even been appointed.

And you know how these talks went? Ffs there are some balloons on here, for all you know that was the agreement that they (Stephen and Mick) wanted. Mick not shy on speaking out so you'll hear from him on this contract, so until then speculating is silly
Says one of the biggest balloons of all here.

Even if McCarthy is on board with it (1.2 million a year might help in that regard) the situation is a dog's dinner.

You don't impose arbitrary time limits on a manager before they've even begun, regardless of whether they have success or not.

Imposing such is a recipe for failure and it doesn't help the successor either.

But if Mick qualifies and does well in the Euros, why the hell should we then ditch him for the World Cup?

And replace them with a bloody League of Ireland manager?

Why would you want to do that?

We tried it once before and it was a disaster.

Yeah thought that myself. If the team is gelling and playing well, riding high, why would you risk that?
And not only that, what if Kenny is a disaster with the U21s,how do you give him the senior job?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on November 24, 2018, 10:18:29 PM

Mick should have the job with no ridiculous arbitrary time limits imposed on him.

This is a stroke to appease the perpetually moaning, always unhappy League of Ireland set.

I think Mick could well pull out altogether now - he's being shafted before he has even been appointed.

And you know how these talks went? Ffs there are some balloons on here, for all you know that was the agreement that they (Stephen and Mick) wanted. Mick not shy on speaking out so you'll hear from him on this contract, so until then speculating is silly

Even if McCarthy is on board with it (1.2 million a year might help in that regard) the situation is a dog's dinner.

You don't impose arbitrary time limits on a manager before they've even begun, regardless of whether they have success or not.

But if Mick qualifies and does well in the Euros, why the hell should we then ditch him for the World Cup?

Yeah thought that myself. If the team is gelling and playing well, riding high, why would you risk that?
And not only that, what if Kenny is a disaster with the U21s,how do you give him the senior job?

You don't! He'll be hidden away for two years and the hype will have died down.

rodney trotter

Hard to be a disaster at U21. Noel King was in the Job since 2010 and he was nothing special. If Kenny develops the players, that's what will be expected,.Kenny is overseeing the whole under age Squads from u15 up, as well as managing the U21s.

Capt Pat

Quote from: laoislad on November 24, 2018, 10:18:29 PM

Surely the best thing to do was give Kenny the senior job for the euros and if it works out well then keep him on for the more important world cup qualifying. If he flopped at the euros then you could look elsewhere.

Capt Pat

The Irish under 21s have never done well. Any good players they might have had usually graduate straight to senior level after under 18s.

Milltown Row2

Impose time frames? He's agreed it ya wally! Let it go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 24, 2018, 10:34:43 PM
The Irish under 21s have never done well. Any good players they might have had usually graduate straight to senior level after under 18s.
I like Noel King and he's done okay with the u21s, however, it won't be difficult for Kenny to improve on that. 
I don't mind this deal the FAI have done with Kenny in waiting, possibly it would be less of a risk to appoint Mick in order to qualify for the euros,  but Kenny is the future, he's an intelligent coach and team manager.

Dolph1

Bravo John Delaney. He learned a thing or two from the Russia/Qatar world cup draw. Announce 2 managers at the same time and buy himself a minimum of 4 more years at the helm.

The cutest of the cutest.

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on November 25, 2018, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 24, 2018, 10:34:43 PM
I like Noel King and he's done okay with the u21s, however, it won't be difficult for Kenny to improve on that. 
I don't mind this deal the FAI have done with Kenny in waiting, possibly it would be less of a risk to appoint Mick in order to qualify for the euros,  but Kenny is the future, he's an intelligent coach and team manager.
At Dundalk, who were a shambles when he took over. He wont have the same freedom. And at clubs where he worked under constraints and expectation he failed. Badly.

Main Street

The best thing that ever happened to Stephen Kenny was getting sacked by the Shamrock Rovers' board after one season, a club run by donkeys, supported by a mob element who didn't have the football brain to figure that Kenny would swing it around and have the team challenging for the title  in the next season.
Despite having relatively good financial resources, SR have stayed on the outside looking in, ever since.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on November 28, 2018, 10:28:25 AM
The best thing that ever happened to Stephen Kenny was getting sacked by the Shamrock Rovers' board after one season, a club run by donkeys, supported by a mob element who didn't have the football brain to figure that Kenny would swing it around and have the team challenging for the title  in the next season.
Despite having relatively good financial resources, SR have stayed on the outside looking in, ever since.

He made an absolute bags of the Rovers job, as he did at Bohs and Dunfermeline. He was also heavily involved in the double contract show at Derry. He turned Dundalk around in spectacular fashion, but you are rewriting history here.

JoG2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 28, 2018, 01:38:50 PM

He made an absolute bags of the Rovers job, as he did at Bohs and Dunfermeline. He was also heavily involved in the double contract show at Derry. He turned Dundalk around in spectacular fashion, but you are rewriting history here.

Don't follow the LOI, but would have been aware of Kenny being held in very high esteem in Derry. After having read your assassination of him, I had a look at his managerial history online. You've painted a slightly different picture Paul

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: JoG2 on November 28, 2018, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 28, 2018, 01:38:50 PM

Don't follow the LOI, but would have been aware of Kenny being held in very high esteem in Derry. After having read your assassination of him, I had a look at his managerial history online. You've painted a slightly different picture Paul

Paul?

I think his time at Dundalk absolutely earned him the right to be in tbe mix for the Irish job.  But there are worrying failures along the way too. If he has learned from them, fantastic. But they do exist and fans of said clubs have stories to tell.

But the argument that because manager x was a success at a club that the previous club who fited him are by defintion wrong is just silly.

Boycey

Just saw on the news that the eagerly awaited Euro20 draw is on tomorrow. That eagerly awaited I didn't even know it was on  :)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Boycey on December 01, 2018, 09:53:15 PM
Just saw on the news that the eagerly awaited Euro20 draw is on tomorrow. That eagerly awaited I didn't even know it was on  :)

It was one of the main reasons the FAI moved swiftly to get rid of O'Neill/Keane. Both were proving a bit too toxic for the big show coming into town.