22/1 Harry Redknapp
25/1 Liam Brady
25/1 Marco Tardelli
25/1 Martin Jol
25/1 Paul Jewell
25/1 Kenny Dalglish
25/1 Pat Fenlon
25/1 Owen Coyle

Not exactly a stellar list.Liam Brady,Owen Coyle,Pat Fenlon, Paul Jewell...jaysis.. Where are they getting Jol from? Why would he even be linked to the job? Are they just pulling names from a hat, or their arses even.

I would like to see Chris Hughton get the job.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

glens73

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 11, 2013, 12:16:24 PM
Paddy Power Prices according to BreakingNews.ie

Next Ireland Manager
4/5 Martin O'Neill
7/1 Brian McDermott
10/1 Mick McCarthy
10/1 René Muelensteen
14/1 Roy Keane
16/1 Chris Hughton
22/1 Harry Redknapp
25/1 Liam Brady
25/1 Marco Tardelli
25/1 Martin Jol
25/1 Paul Jewell
25/1 Kenny Dalglish
25/1 Pat Fenlon
25/1 Owen Coyle

Why is he on the list?

An Gaeilgoir

FAI will have to take someone who is currently without a club, they cant afford to buy anyone's contract out..............as for Martin o Neill, i'm not convinced, always reminds me a bit of Mick o Dwyer, out of touch with the modern game..........

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 11, 2013, 12:39:34 PM
FAI will have to take someone who is currently without a club, they cant afford to buy anyone's contract out..............as for Martin o Neill, i'm not convinced, always reminds me a bit of Mick o Dwyer, out of touch with the modern game..........

Leave Micko alone.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Martin O'Neill would have us playing pure football that Dunphy et al are crying out for and that Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid can dictate with relative ease.

Asal Mor

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 11, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

He'd be cheaper than Micko though.

EC Unique

Hope O'Neill gets it. At least it might be watchable..

rodney trotter

O Neill is a great man manager and would have the team playing good football , Trap wasn't that. He would have everyone playing for him, got the best out of McGlean at Sunderland in that first season. He would get lads like Darren Gibson back in the fold, and get Anthony Stokes back in the Squad as well, talented player but a bit head less.

There was too many fall outs under Trap, not like Ireland can afford to let players drift away. Done a great job at the start in getting the team organized but that was to be expected with his salary and CV. Last 18 months were a disaster.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Bingo on September 11, 2013, 12:41:02 PM
Martin O'Neill would have us playing pure football that Dunphy et al are crying out for and that Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid can dictate with relative ease.
Andy Reid???? he'd need to go to slimming world first!

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on September 11, 2013, 12:50:12 PM

You do know that O'Neill plays the same way as Trap except he'd play a big man up front with a wee man rather than just two wee men up front.

O'Neill relies on Robertson to do his coaching for him. He didn't join him at Sunderland and suffered for it. O'Neill's trick is to get into the dressing room and get alot out of the players but even this recceded in his time at Villa and Sunderland. His master plan at Villa was to play Emile Heskey.

O'Neill had his time but football has moved on from his time at Leicester and Celtic. He isn't a huge step on from Trap.

rodney trotter

Robertson is ill at present so it might put O Neill off taking over Ireland, but who's know's. I don't think the football under O Neill would be as dull as Trap regardless.

Fabio Capello's master plan with England involved using Heskey a lot too.

ballinaman

Now to get that bollox John Delaney out the door next. Obviously shat himself at the thought of an empty stadium vs Kazakhstan in October!

rodney trotter

Quote from: ballinaman on September 11, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
Now to get that bollox John Delaney out the door next. Obviously shat himself at the thought of an empty stadium vs Kazakhstan in October!

+1.    an eejit.

AQMP

Quote from: Bingo on September 11, 2013, 12:58:54 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on September 11, 2013, 12:50:12 PM

You do know that O'Neill plays the same way as Trap except he'd play a big man up front with a wee man rather than just two wee men up front.

Yes, pretty much spot on Bingo.  I don't think we would get free flowing football with O'Neill at the helm.  The only plus I could see for O'Neill would be that his man management style would lead to a more harmonious and perhaps more confident squad.

Though I'm no big fan of players taking the hump and refusing to turn out for their country, and he is no world beater, I don't think a country with as few resources as Ireland can afford a player like Gibson on the sidelines.  As one other poster said earlier I think Trap arrived and thought to himself "These players are no good, how can I ensure we don't get humped 4-0 in every match?"

These could be lean times for Ireland.  As with the England team the current set up in the Premiership means fewer and fewer Irish or Irish qualified players are getting the opportunity to play for good sides in England.  In addition there's little or nothing coming through OWC that we could steal/poach/persuade.

johnneycool

The only free flowing football Ireland will see for the foreseeable future is flowing into the Irish net.

As bad as some of those lads are, Walters, Sammon, Green, Wilson, Whelan etc, there's no world beaters waiting in the wings to suddenly elevate Ireland from being also rans.