FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 10, 2013, 09:29:30 PM

An OWC supporter tweeted earlier...."Fcuk that....beat by a radio station". Hard not to laugh. ;D
At least that's not as bad as Uzbekistan who were beaten by a team with a pair of tits of up front.

thewobbler

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2013, 11:49:47 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 10, 2013, 09:17:29 PM
I see our wee country (Northern Ireland to sensible people) got took down by those mighty Luxenbourgs, they couldnt stop sniggering on ITV about it

I don't know how NI do it. In recent years they seem to have beaten a lot more good teams than Ireland have but they are always liable to lose to the really crap teams as well. Whereas Ireland tend to beat all the bad teams but can only draw at best with good sides.

I'd guess it's something to do with trying hard to raise profile when they can. Most of the NI team are playing at journeyman levels, and putting in a big individual performance against England, Spain or Russia can only help their careers. Against the other minnows, it's irrelevant.

ROI's players seem to have the opposite going on. Against the big international sides, they seem to play with a fear that if they're torn apart, it won't help their careers. When added to the fact that it is important for Ireland not to lose internationals anywhere, for fear of going down to the next seeding pool, it's all a big fear fest.

thejuice

I see Trap made the point that Ireland are at a disadvantage because our domestic league is below standard. I think there is a grain of truth to that. As I said before,  soccer is popular nationally but when it comes to supporting the game in a way that would actually benefit the game in this country, it's non-existent. The game of soccer in Ireland is under resourced to really produce and sustain any meaningful success.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Quote from: thejuice on September 11, 2013, 11:14:16 AM
I see Trap made the point that Ireland are at a disadvantage because our domestic league is below standard. I think there is a grain of truth to that. As I said before,  soccer is popular nationally but when it comes to supporting the game in a way that would actually benefit the game in this country, it's non-existent. The game of soccer in Ireland is under resourced to really produce and sustain any meaningful success.

He's right, but it's funny how it's only a problem now. I remember Trap came to open the new stand in the RSC in Waterford and I thought it was a nice touch, that we would see someone who was at least willing to see how it was in the trenches. Given it turned he was barely bothered watching games in England, what a naive thought it was .

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WeeDonns

Trap and the FAI have parted ways
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0911/473554-trapattoni-leaves-ireland-post/

who are the favorites for to replace him? I cant access betting sites could someone post up odds

Shamrock Shore

Poor auld Trap.

The golden boy until he started dealing with the FAI..............

johnneycool

Quote from: WeeDonns on September 11, 2013, 11:42:26 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0911/473554-trapattoni-leaves-ireland-post/

who are the favorites for to replace him? I cant access betting sites could someone post up odds

Marty O'Neill will be touted as well as Roy Keane.

laoislad

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2013, 11:49:19 AM
Quote from: WeeDonns on September 11, 2013, 11:42:26 AM

What about aul Whiskey Nose?  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Quote from: laoislad on September 11, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2013, 11:49:19 AM

What about aul Whiskey Nose?  ;)

Man Utd are already sounding him out.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on September 11, 2013, 11:14:16 AM
The state of the game in England doesn't help either.
It's very hard for Irish players to get into the top teams now compared to 20 years ago .
The net is much wider.
Man Utd or Liverpool  won't ever have an all UK/Irish team again.   

rodney trotter

There would be no point going for Roy Keane, Ireland don't need another manager with an agenda with some players. Chris Hughton would be a great choice, or O Neill. If they go foreign, the manager would need to have better English then Trap.

Fuzzman

Paddy Power Prices according to BreakingNews.ie

Next Ireland Manager
4/5 Martin O'Neill
7/1 Brian McDermott
10/1 Mick McCarthy
10/1 René Muelensteen
14/1 Roy Keane
16/1 Chris Hughton
22/1 Harry Redknapp
25/1 Liam Brady
25/1 Marco Tardelli