Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

My take is that Mayo fading is the inside out way of how they are likely to lose one.

Dublin are an ageing team who haven't had a proper championship match in a year, and won't be bringing on a group of crack commandos from the bench.  The Dub's most likely path to success is to blow Mayo out of sight early doors. And Con O'Callaghan is just the man to do that.

Mayo's bench will be half made up of strong runners and half made up of big game experience. Dublin shouldn't wish to find out how that goes,

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2023, 09:28:44 PM
My take is that Mayo fading is the inside out way of how they are likely to lose one.

Dublin are an ageing team who haven't had a proper championship match in a year, and won't be bringing on a group of crack commandos from the bench.  The Dub's most likely path to success is to blow Mayo out of sight early doors. And Con O'Callaghan is just the man to do that.

Mayo's bench will be half made up of strong runners and half made up of big game experience. Dublin shouldn't wish to find out how that goes,

If Mayo were 10 points up or 10 points down at HT you wouldn't say the game was over either way though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

It's hard to know how good Dublin are
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omagh_gael

Two pages on a Mayo thread, what's going on?

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on June 27, 2023, 10:40:27 AM
I think he was down with this stomach bug that apparently ran through half the squad before the cork game .

Considering how Diarmuid O Connor played that day, I could see that has some credence.
For a man that literally runs himself into the ground every time he puts that Mayo jersey on, he was standing with his hands on his his knees 20 mins in, also got badly caught in the build up to that Cork goal.

joemamas

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 27, 2023, 12:03:54 PM
Very difficult to know where Dublin are at so just so difficult to predict and can Mayo put back to back performances together.

Those kick out stats will have alarmed McStay especially considering so many were contested but on the flip side they managed to win despite only winning 12 out of 37 kick-outs.
very valid point, we have been badly beaten in the middle third for three straight games.
Cannot see how that can be resolved in a week. Who knows.

Tubberman

Quote from: joemamas on June 28, 2023, 02:59:19 PM
Very difficult to know where Dublin are at so just so difficult to predict and can Mayo put back to back performances together.

Those kick out stats will have alarmed McStay especially considering so many were contested but on the flip side they managed to win despite only winning 12 out of 37 kick-outs.
very valid point, we have been badly beaten in the middle third for three straight games.

Yes, would be a major concern at this stage. Can't win ball in midfield when we go long, and Reape is getting jittery when opposition puts on a press.
The stats from last week show Galway really should have won that game, but same old Galway - they just don't have the forwards 😉
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Tubberman on June 28, 2023, 10:35:38 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 28, 2023, 02:59:19 PM

Yes, would be a major concern at this stage. Can't win ball in midfield when we go long, and Reape is getting jittery when opposition puts on a press.
The stats from last week show Galway really should have won that game, but same old Galway - they just don't have the forwards 😉

Good man, T.  ;D

rosnarun

Quote from: joemamas on June 28, 2023, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 27, 2023, 10:40:27 AM
I think he was down with this stomach bug that apparently ran through half the squad before the cork game .

Considering how Diarmuid O Connor played that day, I could see that has some credence.
For a man that literally runs himself into the ground every time he puts that Mayo jersey on, he was standing with his hands on his his knees 20 mins in, also got badly caught in the build up to that Cork goal.
Donr let that fool you, he can often look tired in warmup
its his abilty to keep going and going that makes him such a special player,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

WhoDat

who will pick up fenton and con, from a mayo perspective? there is a huge game in con this year imo, could be sunday.

likewise tho, could be a day for aidan o'shea can't think who dublin could put on him who would have the physicality? murchan on conroy i assume? he'll have the speed for him but there would be a height difference.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

If that's true then that's a game changer.

WhoDat