Predict Prelim Q/finals: Kildare/Monaghan, Cork/Ros, Donegal/Tyrone, Galway/Mayo

Started by GAABoardMod5, June 21, 2023, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: reddgnhand on June 25, 2023, 11:56:47 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 24, 2023, 10:42:23 PM
Me, personally would have expected our corner back to be making an attempt to get back into his own half when we are winning by 5 or 6 points going into the final minutes of a knock out game. Ideally would have liked him to be picking up his man.  I wouldn't expect him to be in attempting sh!thousery with the Donegal keeper.

Scored a couple of points up there yesterday.  Dooher & Logan have to rip him a new one this week about being up there.

I don't have time to explain the difference in joining an attack and acting the maggot after the ball has gone dead. We'll agree to differ and leave it at that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 25, 2023, 10:00:13 AM

He threw the ball up in the air - you are not allowed to throw the ball in Gaelic football.

Not allowed to catch or gather a ball thrown in the air but the ball bounced off the ground making it a debatable decision.

Rossfan

And then there are "handpasses" which dont comply with the striking rule but are never pulled up!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angus MacGyver

Watched the kildare monaghan game again. Jaysis the referee played with Kildare for most of that game.

Rudi

The Conor Daly throwing the ball in the air, was a classic hometown decision, where the referee was influenced by the large home support. Cork were very fortunate to win that game. We lost the game in the last 4 minutes played before half time. We were in total control. Hopefully we can learn & be better next year, 7 months away.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Angus MacGyver on June 25, 2023, 10:22:22 PM
Watched the kildare monaghan game again. Jaysis the referee played with Kildare for most of that game.

Dunno about  that. He gave Monaghan two of the handiest scorable frees you'd ever see in the first half.

Never beat the deeler

I don't understand the confusion on the Roscommon player fouling the ball. You are not allowed to throw the ball in football

QuoteRULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
4.1 To overcarry or overhold the ball.
4.2 (a) To throw the ball.
(b) To handpass the ball without:
(i) It being Fisted
or
(ii) It being struck with an open hand with a
definite underhand striking action.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/vxpgnvzwyiogaylcqubh.pdf

I've seen people on Twitter saying you throw the ball downwards to hop it. You don't. If you were allowed to throw it up for a bounce, what would stop you throwing it over a players head and running past him, like a quick lineout in rugby.
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2023, 10:18:20 PM
And then there are "handpasses" which dont comply with the striking rule but are never pulled up!
There was an article in the Irish Times about TMOs in the GAA. It's all about cameras. You need to see issues from as many angles as possible.
RTÉ have 6 cameras I think in CP  .
The URC final had 17. The Champions League had 32.
These are moneybags sports.
You are never going to have 32 cameras in Páirc Shéain Mhic Diarmada in lovely Leitrim or Clones or anywhere else. So the handpasses are let slide.

https://youtu.be/Gxd23UVID7k
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2023, 04:49:32 AM
There was an article in the Irish Times about TMOs in the GAA. It's all about cameras. You need to see issues from as many angles as possible.
You are never going to have 32 cameras in Páirc Shéain Mhic Diarmada in lovely Leitrim or Clones or anywhere else. So the handpasses are let slide.

It doesn't matter how many cameras you have, you're not going to use them to check hand passes FFS.
Aussie rules fans have the same complaint about non-striking hand passes. If the referee (or umpire) can't see an infringement, he shouldn't guess. You aren't going to be able to see from both sides at the same time.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 26, 2023, 04:43:15 AM
I don't understand the confusion on the Roscommon player fouling the ball. You are not allowed to throw the ball in football

QuoteRULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
4.1 To overcarry or overhold the ball.
4.2 (a) To throw the ball.
(b) To handpass the ball without:
(i) It being Fisted
or
(ii) It being struck with an open hand with a
definite underhand striking action.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/vxpgnvzwyiogaylcqubh.pdf

I've seen people on Twitter saying you throw the ball downwards to hop it. You don't. If you were allowed to throw it up for a bounce, what would stop you throwing it over a players head and running past him, like a quick lineout in rugby.

It was a definite throw. The controversy here is that the call was made in injury time of a knockout game. The irony is that everybody wants consistency in refereeing but most don't want the rules applied against their team in injury time.

Wildweasel74

Throw, don't start watching the hurling handoasses, half them are dodgy as hell.

maddog

straightred

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 26, 2023, 01:57:46 AM
Quote from: Angus MacGyver on June 25, 2023, 10:22:22 PM

Dunno about  that. He gave Monaghan two of the handiest scorable frees you'd ever see in the first half.
https://twitter.com/clinicalgaa/status/1672898054725292032
We can talk all day about cameras and angles but some of these were in front of the ref. I'd say he's done for the summer

Milltown Row2

One of Laois's goals yesterday was a clear throw ball, not that it mattered but it happens all the time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 26, 2023, 06:17:42 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2023, 04:49:32 AM

It doesn't matter how many cameras you have, you're not going to use them to check hand passes FFS.
Aussie rules fans have the same complaint about non-striking hand passes. If the referee (or umpire) can't see an infringement, he shouldn't guess. You aren't going to be able to see from both sides at the same time.

Not for matches. To analyse where the game is at. The current system of one ref has been overwhelmed in both hurling and football.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/17/referees-in-a-tough-position-as-hurlings-high-wire-act-continues/
"I do not envy anybody trying to referee modern day hurling'. The standard of hurling is phenomenal, the skill levels are gone off the scale, but it's a far, far harder game than I refereed."
Intercounty referees are sent a rule book at the beginning of the season, but up to a couple of years ago they used to receive an exhaustive 80 page handbook. One page was devoted to a checklist of match-day logistics, alpha to omega. Among the 23 items listed was a reminder to bring a coin for the toss and a straight-faced directive to "referee the game in accordance with the rules".
But how, exactly? The way hurling is being played at elite levels has changed so much over the last five or six years that the rule book hasn't been able to keep up. The body-shape of players, the emphasis on power-plays, greater clustering in the middle third, the prevalence of swarm tackling and the viral spread of rucks have made elements of the game impossible to referee except by gut reaction and guessing.

Most players will not be stopped by that kind of contact, and because they can usually break through, the referee will ordinarily not blow for a foul.
In that way an infringement has entered the bloodstream of the game, championed by common practice. Coaches and players know that this boundary has been pushed so that kind of tackling is coached now: players are met with body hits and strong arms to the upper body in the hope of slowing them down, or forcing a turnover."

There is no point in moaning about handpasses. The problem is a lot bigger.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU