GAAGo and other gripes

Started by Captain Scarlet, May 09, 2023, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 27, 2023, 05:51:51 PM
RTE's Dee Forbes & Declan McBennett are Directors of GAAgo. A public service broadcaster whose primary duty is to the public, is at the same time maximising profit by putting big games behind their paywall. It is a very serious conflict of interest.
GAAGO is an overflow media delivery  vehicle required because of the short season. RTE's capacity to show matches is limited. 
I am not sure that profit maximisation is the goal of GAAGO.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: Main Street on June 27, 2023, 01:10:36 PM
Are RTÉ getting fewer matches than when they were competing against Sky/TV3?

I think the GAAGO is just brilliant, so much progress has been made in the last year or so. The broadcast quality/production standards use to be hair pulling frustrating. Nowadays pretty much I can watch every broadcast hitch free, around the world and HD standard to boot. And there are plenty of upgrades in the pipeline.

No I think I saw they are actually showing an extra game under the new deal. Still won't stop the yaps on twitter crying that every game should be free to air because it's the national sport.

armaghniac

RTE's Dee Forbes & Declan McBennett are Directors of GAAgo. A public service broadcaster whose primary duty is to the public, is at the same time maximising profit by putting big games behind their paywall. It is a very serious conflict of interest.

Less of the paranoia. The number of games is determined by GAA as much as anyone else and RTÉ's involvement in GAAGo reflects its importance for overseas games where RTÉ is not broadcast. The GAA could have insisted that all QFs would be on RTÉ, but they want the extra revenue too and these were on Sky in previous years.

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 06:18:28 PM
GAAGO is an overflow media delivery  vehicle required because of the short season. RTE's capacity to show matches is limited. 

There is more scope for making this clear by ensuring that club members get a discount, linking it to tickets so that you can watch the replay for free etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2023, 06:21:21 PM

Less of the paranoia. The number of games is determined by GAA as much as anyone else and RTÉ's involvement in GAAGo reflects its importance for overseas games where RTÉ is not broadcast. The GAA could have insisted that all QFs would be on RTÉ, but they want the extra revenue too and these were on Sky in previous years.

There is more scope for making this clear by ensuring that club members get a discount, linking it to tickets so that you can watch the replay for free etc.
Some people think the 1937 constitution states that all GAA matches must be on RTE.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 07:06:55 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2023, 06:21:21 PM

Some people think the 1937 constitution states that all GAA matches must be on RTE.

a lot of people assume the GAA is similar to RTE and Government Funded where as in actual fact the FAI got twice as much over the covid years and are now looking for 863m euro yes almost a billion so pay fpr their stadium. (needless to say they will not be contributing)
saying that
Also why at times can RTE use the news channel to broadcast games.
surely they could also use RTEJR  rather than a constant Cartoons  A football or hurley match might encourage them to exercise
and they also have a mainly silent Oireachtas TV as timing of event would rarely clash. or even the news channel at a push
most of these channels wold be a much better bet for Streaming than what could have been one of the biggest program of the year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trailer

Peoples opinions seem to be

1) Every single GAA game should be covered by RTE
2) The licence fee should scrapped  . (How they actually want to fund coverage is to be determined)
3) Think of elderly people

Joe the wally brolly has a clear axe to grind as well. Mouthing on Twitter. He has yet to acknowledge that when he left RTE he went to subscription broadcaster to work as a pundit. He hasn't revealed how much RTE paid him or how much he was paid when he went to eir sport. Did he provide his services for free?

Hound

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2023, 06:20:15 PM

I think the GAAGO is just brilliant, so much progress has been made in the last year or so. The broadcast quality/production standards use to be hair pulling frustrating. Nowadays pretty much I can watch every broadcast hitch free, around the world and HD standard to boot. And there are plenty of upgrades in the pipeline.

No I think I saw they are actually showing an extra game under the new deal. Still won't stop the yaps on twitter crying that every game should be free to air because it's the national sport.

It's about both cost and access.
It's moved from a subscription channel to pay per view. Even allowing for the season ticket option it's a big move to go from a subscription channel which shows a rake of other sports to a GAA PPV model.
A good proportion of people already have Sky Sports, so it would have cost them nothing extra
Many people struggle with the technology of how to get a stream from their phone to their tv. My father and uncles wouldn't have a notion.
All 6 pubs in my village in Dublin have Sky Sports, none of them have GAAgo. Only a small proportion of pubs in the country have GAAgo.

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2023, 11:30:14 AM

It's moved from a subscription channel to pay per view. Even allowing for the season ticket option it's a big move to go from a subscription channel which shows a rake of other sports to a GAA PPV model.
A good proportion of people already have Sky Sports, so it would have cost them nothing extra
Many people struggle with the technology of how to get a stream from their phone to their tv. My father and uncles wouldn't have a notion.
All 6 pubs in my village in Dublin have Sky Sports, none of them have GAAgo. Only a small proportion of pubs in the country have GAAgo.

Not sure I agree on the pubs thing. Everywhere seems to be showing GaaGo games. A pub subscription is only €300 for the year so there's no excuse for anywhere not having it, considering that Sky Sports costs tens of thousands a year for pubs.

As for the technological aspect, your father and uncle would, for most of their lives, only been able to see 2 semi finals and a final on TV. Now there are 31 televised games a year on terrestrial TV., which is remarkable considering the way the championship is compacted now and the fact that the GAA is not the only sport on from April to July. There is nowhere in the GAA constitution that says every game should be free to watch.

weareros

The great Kerry team of 70s/80s only had All-Ireland semi and final televised live. What's more, the supporters were known to only show up in numbers for Munster final with Cork and All- Ireland. I've stayed in remote parts of Kerry and have had good internet and it's such a tourist county it's required and has been looked after. Ironically, in the days of TV aerials the television reception was unwatchable in parts of Kerry due to the mountains.

square_ball

Why has the Saturday Game all of a sudden stopped for the year? They didn't have a show on last Saturday with 3 big games on that day and they have nothing on this Saturday for 2 of the biggest games of the year. I seen someone on Twitter say that they have had 6 Saturday Games shows this year. So much for being given an extra highlights show this year and they have done the bare minimum with it.

rosnarun

can any smart tv get GAAgo with any additional equipment
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RedHand88

Quote from: square_ball on June 28, 2023, 12:40:43 PM
Why has the Saturday Game all of a sudden stopped for the year? They didn't have a show on last Saturday with 3 big games on that day and they have nothing on this Saturday for 2 of the biggest games of the year. I seen someone on Twitter say that they have had 6 Saturday Games shows this year. So much for being given an extra highlights show this year and they have done the bare minimum with it.

They do the full weekend highlights on the Sunday night

RedHand88

Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2023, 12:42:27 PM
can any smart tv get GAAgo with any additional equipment

Yes

Main Street

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 28, 2023, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2023, 11:30:14 AM

Not sure I agree on the pubs thing. Everywhere seems to be showing GaaGo games. A pub subscription is only €300 for the year so there's no excuse for anywhere not having it, considering that Sky Sports costs tens of thousands a year for pubs.

As for the technological aspect, your father and uncle would, for most of their lives, only been able to see 2 semi finals and a final on TV. Now there are 31 televised games a year on terrestrial TV., which is remarkable considering the way the championship is compacted now and the fact that the GAA is not the only sport on from April to July. There is nowhere in the GAA constitution that says every game should be free to watch.
Broadcasting of multi  games at the same time/crossover times is only practical when streamed.
so the issue is about about two or so of the top games that use to be carried exclusively by Sky on the weekend that people already had access to,  not about the multi streaming of the 'lesser' games.

I surmise that when the deal ended with Sky, there was only one other outside option to negotiate a deal with, Virgin Media.

I assume it would have been a full GAAGO add-on extra to a Virgin broadband package, costing an extra eur 10-15  monthly?
And the GAA decided to actually become the Grab ALL Assoc  (along with RTÉ)  with the intention to more forcibly persuade Irish based GAA fans to transition over to GAAGO, faster than people were willing, faster than the full streaming/broadcasting infrastructure was in place and the attractive bait was the GAAGO exclusive to some of the most desirable top games.
This is the first season of that happening. As I live abroad, GAAGO is a blessing, once upon a time (< 1998),  my only access was my mother posting the sunday paper with monday's sports pages inserted, which I'd receive some 7-10 days later.
I'd like to know how many extra Irish based subscribers GAAGO have gained and future expected numbers, as well as income figures for the GAA.

square_ball

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 28, 2023, 12:42:39 PM
Quote from: square_ball on June 28, 2023, 12:40:43 PM

They do the full weekend highlights on the Sunday night

I know but surely with 2 huge games not on free to air TV on Saturday it was the ideal time to be putting on the Saturday Game rather than wait another 24 hours to show highlights.

RTE got an extra highlights show which people have been looking and have done 6 shows with it.