GAAGo and other gripes

Started by Captain Scarlet, May 09, 2023, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

Quote from: markl121 on June 26, 2023, 01:15:47 PM
First experience of gaa go in a pub at the weekend. Absolute disaster, two tvs on the go, one was 30 seconds behind the other. Eventually got the synced only for one ti freeze for a second and throw the whole thing into chaos again.
This sounds like the pub's fault and not GaaGo. Surely the best way to do it is have one stream being output on multiple monitors rather than having a stream for each? Also is there a way of telling if a stream is for a personal or pub account (like the sky sports pint symbol)?

There were a couple of errors over the weekend with a "no signal detected" type error but I don't think they lasted too long or missed any important bits of the match.

p3427977

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 26, 2023, 01:27:01 PM
First experience of gaa go in a pub at the weekend. Absolute disaster, two tvs on the go, one was 30 seconds behind the other. Eventually got the synced only for one ti freeze for a second and throw the whole thing into chaos again.
This sounds like the pub's fault and not GaaGo. Surely the best way to do it is have one stream being output on multiple monitors rather than having a stream for each? Also is there a way of telling if a stream is for a personal or pub account (like the sky sports pint symbol)?

There were a couple of errors over the weekend with a "no signal detected" type error but I don't think they lasted too long or missed any important bits of the match.
That error happened on rte at the weekend so wouldn't blame GAA Go.

thewobbler

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 26, 2023, 01:27:01 PM

Hold on. If I'm reading you right here, you're suggesting that it's the pub's fault for not already having reviewed and paid for an overhaul of their AV equipment to ensure that all screens (regardless of age, settings and ports) can simultaneously display the same streamed input?

Mad.

HokeyPokey

It's strange enough that Mayo V Dublin has the biggest supposed billing and not Tyrone V Kerry, the last two all-Ireland winners, never mind the fact that it won't be on RTÉ.

markl121

Was actually across three different pubs in downings in Donegal tbf. One had the stream freeze at 68 min of Monaghan Kildare andnit never came back, the other two bars had streams all over the place. It would definitely need to come from the one source to try and sync it

Rawhide

I am able to watch the live games but can't get see past games, no idea what the problem is
cccc is a true supporter lol

Jell 0 Biafra

I have found it works better on my laptop rather than the firestick.  So I just   connect the laptop to the tv and it works fine.

seafoid

The infrastructure to support GAAGO is not good enough
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 26, 2023, 01:43:02 PM
It's strange enough that Mayo V Dublin has the biggest supposed billing and not Tyrone V Kerry, the last two all-Ireland winners, never mind the fact that it won't be on RTÉ.
I don't think anybody said Mayo v Dublin has the highest billing.
Mayo have to be on Sunday no matter who they drew. Then logistics decided everything else. It seems it was pre-planned that both Saturday games would be on GAAgo and both Sunday ones on RTE.

Though I fully agree that all four matches should be on RTE.

Main Street

Are RTÉ getting fewer matches than when they were competing against Sky/TV3?

I think the GAAGO is just brilliant, so much progress has been made in the last year or so. The broadcast quality/production standards use to be hair pulling frustrating. Nowadays pretty much I can watch every broadcast hitch free, around the world and HD standard to boot. And there are plenty of upgrades in the pipeline.

rosnarun

is it usual for GAAGO to have a much longer break at half time that is need.
I though i was watching a match live at the weekend but after it calved it took about 2 minutes to get it going but match was over. should have bee 15 mins left
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full moon

I follow boxing and one thing streams and streaming apps have trouble with is when large amount of viewers can overload the host capabilities. It will be interesting at the weekend, because last weekend the streams went down at various points. This weekend will have large viewership on the Saturday so if the streams tank again it could be a disaster.

I'm not against GAA Go but I personally don't agree with it replacing televised games and people acting as if it's the same thing. While a lot of people didn't have Sky Sports, at least pubs did, and there was no issue with broadband coverage, smart TVs etc. Really you're excluding people much like the refusal to accept cash at matches.

Coupled with the fact RTE own a stake so it's not all as clear cut. I have heard LOI TV is a partner channel of GAA Go also?

Redhand Santa

No matter about the live shows surely there is no excuse for not having a highlights show this Saturday night? Doesn't look to be one in their schedule. Two of the biggest games of the year surely deserve some sort of coverage that day/evening?

From the Bunker

RTE's Dee Forbes & Declan McBennett are Directors of GAAgo. A public service broadcaster whose primary duty is to the public, is at the same time maximising profit by putting big games behind their paywall. It is a very serious conflict of interest.

balladmaker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2023, 04:51:37 PM
No matter about the live shows surely there is no excuse for not having a highlights show this Saturday night? Doesn't look to be one in their schedule. Two of the biggest games of the year surely deserve some sort of coverage that day/evening?

Nah, they'll cram each Q/Final into 5 minute highlight packages on the Sunday Game, job done.