Nicky Rackard Cup

Started by Saffron exile, May 01, 2007, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleSimon

I wasn't expecting an answer. I'd say I could guess! I just heard from a punter I know who knows a few people...only heard on Sunday mind you which wasn't much use, he hadn't backed it either so I thought it was here say until I seen your response on this thread.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lone Shark on July 09, 2007, 09:30:07 PM
Quote from: SimpleSimon on July 09, 2007, 09:09:16 PM
Will you consider laying any handicap prices? That Donegal game will be very close I would think, little between them in the group I think. Tyrone could also upset the applecart, excuse the pun ;)

Not a prayer.

I really want to price these games in order to provide as good a service as possible, but the likes of last weekend when I get absolutely hosed by half the Ards peninsula who know that Down are not going to make any effort down in Kerry, it makes it a lot harder to justify.

(Yes, I know there were injuries, but Kerry still lost to Meath by ten points the previous week. There is no way I have access to the kind of information I'd need to price games like this accurately)

To say that the Down hurlers didn't try against Kerry is a bit rich there lone shark. The team was decimated and yes the dogs on the street knew the odds of them winning should of been long, so if a bookie makes a f**k up then yes people are going to take advantage. As for the bet being withheld, I don't know if it was with Ladbrokes or not as he but in on in a bookies in belfast, don't know if Ladbrokes has offices over here as well as the on-line stuff.

As for lack of information, I'd posted on the Christy Ring thread that Down had lost their only real scoring threat, their centre back to suspension and their corner back as well as a few other injuries to starting players. I think even the hogan stand had it as well, so someone wasn't doing their homework. Toals in Portaferry or Foxes in Kircubbin certainly weren't offering such generous odds.

seeheartalk

Armagh play Tyrone this Saturday at 3pm in Keady.
Loneshark any odds on Armagh doing the double (no not the dole thing) - the hurlers and the Ladies Footballers.

Lone Shark

Quote from: johnneycool on July 10, 2007, 08:33:24 AM

To say that the Down hurlers didn't try against Kerry is a bit rich there lone shark. The team was decimated and yes the dogs on the street knew the odds of them winning should of been long, so if a bookie makes a f**k up then yes people are going to take advantage. As for the bet being withheld, I don't know if it was with Ladbrokes or not as he but in on in a bookies in belfast, don't know if Ladbrokes has offices over here as well as the on-line stuff.

As for lack of information, I'd posted on the Christy Ring thread that Down had lost their only real scoring threat, their centre back to suspension and their corner back as well as a few other injuries to starting players. I think even the hogan stand had it as well, so someone wasn't doing their homework. Toals in Portaferry or Foxes in Kircubbin certainly weren't offering such generous odds.

Yes, Down had injuries. Incidentally most of the bets that did the damage were taken well before Hogan stand posted anything about the injuries, so to say that the Dogs on the street knew when I am an Offalyman living in Galway is a bit of a stretch. (Yes I know people had made posts, but I can't be checking every thread and nor can I be taking the posts of an internet forum as gospel, irrespective of who they come from) People give out when I don't do games like this, and it's not practical to wait until I see a team announced somewhere because I'd be waiting all week and the bets would only be up for around 24 hours. Interesting how despite all these "dogs" knowing about this not a single bet came from outside the Ards peninsula.

However - and here is the relevant thing - Down went to Westmeath in their first match of this competition and lost by a point, a fair reflection of two evenly match teams. TWELVE of that team lined out down in Kerry. Yes Johnston is a fine player, worth three or four points at least. (However he only scored two against Westmeath), but you cannot for a minute tell me that losing by ten points to Kerry is an acceptable result for 80% of that team. On a normal day Down would be beating that Kerry by seven or eight points - if you replaced those three lads with cardboard cut outs you shouldn't have an eighteen point swing.

Once again - let me stress I am not suggesting this game was thrown or anything like that. I am saying that Down clearly did not put their best foot forward in this game (much like Offaly put in a pathetic show against Cork) and several people knew this was coming. From a bookies point of view this is hard to take, because at the end of the year unless something unusual happens I'm going to have to break down my profit and loss as per competition and take the decision that I can't price stuff like this anymore, which I don't want to do.

Now if anyone here wants to try and explain to me why I should come to any other decision, please tell me, but don't try to tell me that I "didn't do my homework".

Incidentally, that was NOT our shop who is witholding payment - I would not let that happen. However I see the fact that you are unsure on this thread didn't stop you from saying it was us anyway on another thread. Bad form if I may say so sir, and I'll ask you to change it. Ladbrokes have no shops in Belfast to my knowledge - only in Derry within the six.

Don

If one is happy to lay match prices, should one not be happy to lay handicap prices. Are they not connected

SimpleSimon

Is anyone going to any of the rackard games tomorrow?

Sidelined

Armagh hammered Tyrone 2-19 to 1-09 today.
Tyrone hit 12 wides in the first half.

SimpleSimon

Why can't this draw be made today along with all the others? It just belittle's the competition by only making it the Monday of the semi-finals! Unless off course it has been made, if so can someone please post!

seeheartalk

Armagh v Donegal at Keady on Sat at 3pm
Louth v Roscommon at Drogheda at 3pm

Armagh v Roscommon at Croke Park ;)

brokencrossbar1

Great result for Armagh and would be quite ironic if they were to win something this year with the footballers not.

Do the Nicky Rackard winners automatically go into the Christy Ring for the following year?

neilthemac

Yes. and somebody drops down to the Rackard Cup

Donegal and Louth could have a few things to say about that potential lineup in Croker

Craigyhill Terror

I'm not 100 per cent it's automatic that the winners go up like they have done in the past. They might have to play-off against bottom in the Christy Ring. The same goes for the Chrsity Ring winners and bottom in the Liam McCarthy

Saffron exile

The finallists from 2007 both go up to the christy Ring cup in 2008. No relegation from the Ring this year.

SimpleSimon

Brokencrossbar it would be nice and ironic if that were to happen Armagh. But as Neilthemac says I think both louth and donegal will have a lot to say about it as both have been written off since the start of the competition. If I recall I think I said both would be there or there abouts.

Regarding the fixtures I was told the louth game was at 7pm, with the Armagh v Donegal game at 3pm!

When was that decided about both finalists going into the Ring cup?

Craigyhill Terror

I knew something was different this year