Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Poor enough game and Cork being exposed here.

seafoid

Deiseach must be enjoying this after the liverpool
Experience.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2014, 05:26:39 PM
Experience.

Nah, bit like Liverpool they have come up short, will Cork be as lethargic again?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zulu

Cork are a bit like Down in 2010 who overachieved. I was surprised by Waterford's performance but not by Cork's. Neither team are up to much.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2014, 06:22:52 PM
Experience.

Nah, bit like Liverpool they have come up short, will Cork be as lethargic again?
Stirring on here too!

thejuice

Promising display from Waterford today. Still the same inability to close out a game but maybe these young lads will overcome that.

I thought it was an alright game looking forward to to the replay.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 25, 2014, 07:41:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2014, 06:22:52 PM
Experience.

Stirring on here too!

I'm in one of those moods ffs!! Off tomorrow you'd think I'd be in good form!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

That was some game. What a goal by young Gleeson.

Munster council will be delighted. I was shouting for the underdog but I can't see Cork being as average the next day out.

AZOffaly

Why is the replay on the 8th of June? I know Limerick and Tipp are in Thurles next Sunday, but if it had to be Thurles, why not on Saturday evening, like Tyrone and Down? The winners will have a week to get ready for Clare, so instead of playing the same opponent (whom you've prepared for) twice in a week, now you play two different opponents in a week.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2014, 08:59:21 AM
Why is the replay on the 8th of June? I know Limerick and Tipp are in Thurles next Sunday, but if it had to be Thurles, why not on Saturday evening, like Tyrone and Down? The winners will have a week to get ready for Clare, so instead of playing the same opponent (whom you've prepared for) twice in a week, now you play two different opponents in a week.

Thought that was strange myself unless they've already decided that Thurles pitch couldn't take two/three matches in less than 24 hours!

As for the game, it was a good, exciting contest without being an overly high standard, but I think we're seeing the widespread use of the packed defense and short passing game by all and sundry and I think it will ruin the game as a spectacle to an extent.

Yesterday Waterford had for the big part of it only two men within forty yards of the Cork goal, Cork at the other end something similar, which does create space for these forwards, but they've some ground to cover to get within a roar of getting a goal, Gleesons goal proves this point as somehow the Cork defense allowed him to waltz in from 45 metres out (their achilles heal against Clare last year) and but it away in style in all fairness. Cadogan up the other end was tormenting his markers without realistically getting a sniff of a goal, which came after a goal mouth scramble, which like a few other scores the Waterford defence should have cleared.

Waterford will be happy, but disappointed in the same breath as they'd a poor Cork on the ropes and should have finished them off, maybe they'll have gained a bit more confidence from the performance, but you've got to think Cork can't be as bad the next day out. Who will have learned and improved the most?

A few things of note, both Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran in the act of retaining possession throw/drop the ball onto the ground and scoop it back into their hands, a fine line IMO, but they got away with it yesterday, any referees clarify on this?

I thought Cadogan threw himself to the ground for a free near the end of the first half and big Gavin bought it, are we likely to see more of this during the summer or will the Kilkenny manliness prevail?

Marty Morrissey and his fixation with fuckin 'dual stars', yeah Marty we know Aidan Walsh and Cahalane play football, great, but we don't need told it every farts end.

Canalman

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2014, 07:14:06 PM
Cork are a bit like Down in 2010 who overachieved. I was surprised by Waterford's performance but not by Cork's. Neither team are up to much.

Agree with you totally about Cork. Still scratching my head as to how close they came last year to actually winning the AI.

Waterford imo are a team that needs a complete oil change with alot of youngsters thrown in and  then will win the AI in the next  5 years or so, if not sooner.

deiseach

Quote from: thejuice on May 25, 2014, 07:43:48 PM
Promising display from Waterford today. Still the same inability to close out a game but maybe these young lads will overcome that.

I thought it was an alright game looking forward to to the replay.

I can't find any recent instance of Waterford being well ahead at some point in a Championship game only to fail to win. Maybe you mean the Minor hurlers in last year's drawn Munster final, and while they lost that battle they won the war.

Yesterday was a thrilling surprise. It had similarities to Liverpool - missed out on the ultimate prize but the gap between where I expected them to be and where they ended up was huge! I can't see Cork being that bad again. In the first half, they were horrendous. But there are signs of life after a dismal end to the League.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 26, 2014, 09:47:03 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2014, 08:59:21 AM

A few things of note, both Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran in the act of retaining possession throw/drop the ball onto the ground and scoop it back into their hands, a fine line IMO, but they got away with it yesterday, any referees clarify on this?

I have seen this more and more, if they throw the ball as if to put it on the stick then miss, is that clumsy or deliberate? It's a fine line, if they consistently do it in a game I'll blow for throw ball and let him know what I think he's doing. This is being taught or they are copying this from games on TV.

didlyi

Henry Shefflin did this a couple of times. Throw the ball ahead then sprint and pick it up again and it passes as a solo effort that was recovered. In his case I think it was deliberate and he was penalised once.

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2014, 09:46:19 PM
That was some game. What a goal by young Gleeson.

Munster council will be delighted. I was shouting for the underdog but I can't see Cork being as average the next day out.
It was a cracking goal.
I am not that convinced about Cork.

Love the Munster championship - any one of 5 could win it.