Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

How over weight are you?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html

I don't know your current fitness level...

A walk jog program like the above is probably a good start if you aren't fit. If you are fit starting off with slow running for ~20 minutes a time would be a good start. Doing this a few times a week then building up time and pace will build with time etc.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: theskull1 on November 14, 2010, 11:05:03 PM
How over weight are you?
Very sensitive question! I could lose a couple of stone like but I do cycle about 7ish mile a day - 5 days a week so I'm not too unfit.  Though that's a whole different muscle group.

thanks tommy - think walk programme would be good start off
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrones own

Just cause ye fell off the bike last week....its hardly call for drastic measures :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 14, 2010, 11:17:53 PM
Just cause ye fell off the bike last week....its hardly call for drastic measures :P
Hey I didnt fall off it - there was just a bit of a collision...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrones own

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 14, 2010, 11:21:38 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on November 14, 2010, 11:17:53 PM
Hey I didnt fall off it - there was just a bit of a collision...
Ah right......I just thought we stopped falling off our bikes...oops I mean having
collisions when we were 7  ;)
  - Walter Lippmann

lurganblue

With the new year approaching I thought I'd ask a question about fitness. All you runners on here, what way do you measure the distance you have ran? I have been using runkeeper on the iPhone for it's gps but have found that it, along with the iPod going quickly snuffs out the battery. Looked at those sat nav watches but they're about 100 bills ffs

Minder

Quote from: lurganblue on December 30, 2010, 09:33:35 PM
With the new year approaching I thought I'd ask a question about fitness. All you runners on here, what way do you measure the distance you have ran? I have been using runkeeper on the iPhone for it's gps but have found that it, along with the iPod going quickly snuffs out the battery. Looked at those sat nav watches but they're about 100 bills ffs

On a related point, Runkeeper Pro, usually £5.99, is free until the end of January.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heffo

MyTracks on the Android is free - only gives distance, avg speed etc though

Tyrones own

Quote from: lurganblue on December 30, 2010, 09:33:35 PM

Get one of these yokes...shoulda bought it a long time ago, mighty job altogether!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0025VKW5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293748369&sr=8-1
  - Walter Lippmann

imtommygunn

I've a Garmin 405.

There are a few new ranges out now - 310, 410 etc Things I keep track of are heart rate, distance, time on feet and current pace. All easily accessible on a garmin.

The 405 is awful with water though - it has a bezel that needs locked or it just keeps scrolling and beeping. The news ones should be better.

I've a training diary on fetcheveryone too. Very useful for keeping track / looking back on when you race to see how to improve.

Tyrones own

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 30, 2010, 10:50:22 PM
I've a Garmin 405.

There are a few new ranges out now - 310, 410 etc Things I keep track of are heart rate, distance, time on feet and current pace. All easily accessible on a garmin.

The 405 is awful with water though - it has a bezel that needs locked or it just keeps scrolling and beeping. The news ones should be better.

I've a training diary on fetcheveryone too. Very useful for keeping track / looking back on when you race to see how to improve.
There were a lot of complaints about the bezel on the 405 and that's the reason I went with the 310 XT and it's water proof, kinda designed for triathlons.
Why do you not use Garmins own software for keeping tabs on your progress...I think it's great!
  - Walter Lippmann

imtommygunn

Fetcheveryone, I find, is a very simple interface for the training diary and is pretty nifty to use.

All I want is average HR, pace / mile and distance for each run which fetch has. It summarises all this very well. Also a very useful feature on it is you put in what shoes you did the run in and it records this. Useful as most trainers only have ~500 mile in them so a good indicator of when to change.

Garmin connect has loads of bells and whistles but I wouldn't use the half of them. It's very good no doubt.

I was just reading the 410 bezel is much better. I'm contemplating upgrading. However it's £330 on amazon! 260 on a GPS site though.Might take a look at the 310. The 305 was very chunky - I'm guessing it's the same?

lurganblue

They sound very good lads but f**k they are wile dear!! May just have to bite the bullet though

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: lurganblue on December 30, 2010, 11:54:36 PM
They sound very good lads but f**k they are wile dear!! May just have to bite the bullet though

I bought the garmin 205 a bout four years ago. Used it still to day, would feel like I am running naked if I didn't have it on. It cost 250 US dollars.

My youngest brother just finished his first marathon in Dublin earlier this year and for Christmas I bought him the garmin 305 version which unlike the 205 will record your heart rate. It cost 350 US dollars which is probably 175 pound. If your interested you can PM me and I will give you the stores information where I purchased it. Its in Chicago though.