Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oak Leafer

Well with my knee's i think 10k is sufficient!  ;D

imtommygunn

Step 1 would be increasing your distances. A long run a week is basically a must if you want to improve. If you're at 4 or 5 miles build it up say a mile a week (on your weekend run) until you get to 8 or 9 miles I would say for 10ks or further for longer.

After you get the long runs up a bit you want to look at tempo work. Tempo = for 10ks say 4 miles at a "comfortably hard" pace.

Other running should be easy then plug in hill reps after a month or two.

First of all you want to build fitness and next would be strength. Longer runs will do both of these. Try upping your distances keeping the pace at a level where you can do it without too much hassle for your fitness.

Oak Leafer

Many thanks for advice fella's!

Should I continue the 3/4 days a week, with a days recovery in between?

Bingo

If anyone gets the Indo on thursday for the Fit magazine, check out pages 14/15, they have included an article on the fitness and well being programme that we started in the club last year and has grown massively this year.

Great fundraiser for the club plus the benefits for the participants who are getting great value has been huge. Serious interest and buzz about it this year, kicked off on Tuesday night of this week.

tyroneman

What's the normal healing time for a calf strain? Did a half mara on sat and it wassore , I had discomfort after a few miles running last night and stopped but it's not really that bad walking today

I was due to do along run this weekend as part of marathon training but should I give it a miss?

Def not torn (been there before)

ballinaman

Quote from: tyroneman on September 19, 2012, 06:50:56 PM
What's the normal healing time for a calf strain? Did a half mara on sat and it wassore , I had discomfort after a few miles running last night and stopped but it's not really that bad walking today

I was due to do along run this weekend as part of marathon training but should I give it a miss?

Def not torn (been there before)
If its sore when you hop on the affected side i'd give it a miss. If not, you should be ok with long sustained stretching (painfree) >30 seconds as much as you can throughout the course of the day, ice x 10 mins x 3.

north aontroim gael

Lads I have been banging out a few miles on the treadmills recently and everytime I get to the 10 minute mark (first 5 minutes usually a light jog to warm up) my shins tighten up and give me hell.  Nearly impossible to get them loosened up and limits the time/distance I can do. 

Never really have this problem when road running.  Any tips?

thewobbler

That sounds bizarre North Antrim. Usually shin splints would be the other way around. If you're running on a very small incline on the treadmill, it might be that your natural gait causes the problem on flat surfaces *; you don't notice it so much on the road because of incline changes. Have you tried a steeper incline on the treadmill?

* disclaimer, I don't understand matters of science or biology

north aontroim gael

I thought that the slight incline may have been the reason for it so was wary of increasing it.  Will maybe ramp it up a bit the next time I go to the gym to see if it makes any difference. Cheers

cadence

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 20, 2012, 10:50:39 AM
I thought that the slight incline may have been the reason for it so was wary of increasing it.  Will maybe ramp it up a bit the next time I go to the gym to see if it makes any difference. Cheers

the incline will be a problem as it will tighten the distance between your toes and your shins when you run. it doesn't seem like much, but running up and down hills takes time to get right. you should look at your biomechanics. try having a slight lean forward when you run, use your core muscles to balance you, keep your stride shorter and quicker going uphill, lenghten it going down, use minimal knee lift, and make sure your foot strike is bang on the middle of your foot... that should sort it. but i wouldn't do all my running uphill/at an incline if i were you... you're going to end up putting too much strain on your shin muscles i'd have thought? a more varied terrain is better as it gives the legs a better work out.

Bingo

Marathon training well ramped up at this stage.

Did the big run on Saturday, 21 miles in 2hr 55m, better time than I expected and manged to keep a very steady pace throughout.

Base of the left foot hasn't been the best since mind. Was great to get it done and, bar the foot, the legs feel fresh since.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on September 24, 2012, 11:03:17 AM

Did the big run on Saturday, 21 miles in 2hr 55m, better time than I expected and manged to keep a very steady pace throughout.

Base of the left foot hasn't been the best since mind. Was great to get it done and, bar the foot, the legs feel fresh since.

Do you think come race day you'll manage to complete it under 3hrs?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2012, 11:47:16 AM
Quote from: Bingo on September 24, 2012, 11:03:17 AM

Do you think come race day you'll manage to complete it under 3hrs?

No, not a chance. Its my first marathon and that distance was new terrority for me.

When I set out, i had no time, then I said I'd look to break 4hrs as an achieveable target. Now the lad who has been giving me pointers and has run them, says that I could target 3.30 but 3.45 is a relaistic target.

Who knows, another 5 miles seemed a long way to go when I finished saturday. Just planning to keep to my plan/pace and see what i have to finish with.

imtommygunn

Bingo the pacers are generally very good. I'd say a good bet would be to go out with them (either 3:30 or 3:45) and try and stick to them. I'd say 3:30 could be within your grasp given 2:55 for a 21 miler.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 24, 2012, 12:01:48 PM
Bingo the pacers are generally very good. I'd say a good bet would be to go out with them (either 3:30 or 3:45) and try and stick to them. I'd say 3:30 could be within your grasp given 2:55 for a 21 miler.

Yeah, thats definately a consideration. Is it best to go with faster ones and hope to stay with them or slower pacers and try and have something to finish with, I'd be of cautious thinking and would think 3.45 and finish stronger would work for me.