Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: flantheman82 on January 16, 2012, 07:26:54 PM
Just got a quick question about the different heart rate zones. My main aim at the minute is to lose weight. When I start running at a fairly slow pace, bearing in mind I'm really unfit, I quickly reach close to my max heart rate. To reach the heart rate zones for fat burning, I have to walk briskly.
Does this make sense that just walking would enable me to lose more weight than running? Can't really understand the logic!

Stop f**king eating  :D :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

That's a good time MR for a debut.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

flantheman82

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2012, 10:25:09 PM
Quote from: flantheman82 on January 16, 2012, 07:26:54 PM
Just got a quick question about the different heart rate zones. My main aim at the minute is to lose weight. When I start running at a fairly slow pace, bearing in mind I'm really unfit, I quickly reach close to my max heart rate. To reach the heart rate zones for fat burning, I have to walk briskly.
Does this make sense that just walking would enable me to lose more weight than running? Can't really understand the logic!

Stop f**king eating  :D :D

I've been looking at that too but I've had no option but to cut out the fatty foods as I can't cope with them anymore. Have to get my gallbladder removed in next few months. Just waiting on a date. So at minute, hopefully not gaining weight. Just need to start losing it.

lurganblue

Quote from: thewobbler on January 16, 2012, 08:18:53 PM
The Runkeeper app records times, distances and maps, and it's free. Can't fault it myself.

Yep, never had a problem with runkeeper.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
That's a good time MR for a debut.

I will probably try again the following Saturday and try and get a few more seconds off it. Need to regulate my breathing better i think. I never tried to sprint the last hundred yards or so. Longer legs would help  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Aerlik

Folks, I was supposed to do the 12kms City-to-Surf run in Perth last August and was travelling brave n well but got a nasty hand injury, about a month beforehand, which put me in a splint for two weeks as I severed two tendons so had to wear a finger cast.  Well, I couldn't run as the pain was feckin deadly at rest.  Anyhow, I was off sport of any kind for over three months.  Needless to say the fitness took a bit of a knock. 
However, I was trawling through the local online rag and found this website for a training regime for women.  Ignore the fact that it is advertised for hersell, I am using it and am making good steady progress.  I am going to do the 12kms again and am at Week 4 level, managing the 4kms under 20 minutes.  If I can get consistent sub-60 minute times by July, I may look at doing the 22kms to see if I can finish it.

I'm still using Mizuno shoes which I find have superb arch and heel support and are well aerated.  I have a fitting done when I go to buy new shoes.

Does any of the lads wear Skins-type clothing and if so is it worth the money or another gimmick?

Anyways, here is the site address:
http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/collections/sydney+running+festival,135

Let's know what you think.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AQMP

For anyone based in the North West, there's a 10 mile run in Bundoran on 10th March

http://www.carabundoranrun.com/

Bingo

Did the hellandback yesterday outside Bray, what an event! I can see why the purist road runners mightn't be interested but for something different, its really good.

The weather really added to it and their was muck throught even without the actual challenges on the course that had alot of mud and water anyhow. 8 of us done it and all said they'be be back to have another craic at it.

Hats off to the fella in the swamp who thought he could plough through the middle rather than navigate the sides like everyone else and he came a cropper, covered from head to toe and had to dragged out by two lads as he struggled to get his footing in it. At least he got a washing in the river crossing about 1km further along.

Plenty of GAA jerseys on show as well.

bridgegael

thinking of doin a marathon in june,  wat sort of miles should you ideally be doing in the run up to the event.  i am currently averaging  18mile per week.  i wont get running as much though when football starts up again nxt week.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Bingo

Quote from: bridgegael on January 30, 2012, 11:19:51 AM
thinking of doin a marathon in june,  wat sort of miles should you ideally be doing in the run up to the event.  i am currently averaging  18mile per week.  i wont get running as much though when football starts up again nxt week.

For taking on that run you'd be as well following a running plan - http://halhigdon.staging.racersites.com/ seem to be very popular.

In fairness, I would find it very hard on the body to be doing such a run in the middle of a football season. Two completely different type of training and would put massive strain on the body. Maybe some of the other more experienced runners will advise but I know don't many who would take on the both.

imtommygunn

You'd be needing to be hitting your 18 miles and then some as your long run.

It all depends how seriously you want to take it but you'll not be playing much football for a few weeks after it. You could probably get by on 30 mile a week but the less preparation you do the more pain you will feel round it and the longer you will take to recover.

I wouldn't recommend it in the middle of a season. Dublin is in october and wouldn't clash as much with the football season.

Aerlik

Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2012, 01:06:46 PM
For anyone based in the North West, there's a 10 mile run in Bundoran on 10th March

I checked out that website and there are a couple of decent training programmes there. 

That link I attached before is loosely based on a Fartlek/Interval training programme.  I am enjoying it and have completed week 5.  Must admit I'm mainly running on a treadmill (with the occasional run with a mate) and the heat over here right now (and associated dehydration) is a major problem.  Fluid intake is vital.

There are a couple of 10Ks coming up so if I can get the time off work I'll run them.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Aerlik on February 16, 2012, 02:48:31 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 17, 2012, 01:06:46 PM

I checked out that website and there are a couple of decent training programmes there. 

That link I attached before is loosely based on a Fartlek/Interval training programme.  I am enjoying it and have completed week 5.  Must admit I'm mainly running on a treadmill (with the occasional run with a mate) and the heat over here right now (and associated dehydration) is a major problem.  Fluid intake is vital.

There are a couple of 10Ks coming up so if I can get the time off work I'll run them.

post that link again aerlik if you dont mind, theres a good chap  :)

No1

10k race next Sunday fairly flat course with some beautiful scenery!

http://www.kilcliefgac.com/news/index.php#news_item1267

Aerlik

qyjj, check out the link on my post on p.31.

Also, ham,  can you do me a favour.  Can you measure the distance from the Diamond down Cabool, Movanagher road, up the Coleraine road, Mullan Road, down the Moneydig road across Drumsaragh, through Gortmacrane road, left at the chapel, right onto the Moneysallin road, left at Lisnagrot road and back into the Diamond.  I'd say it's about 15 miles.  I plan to run it when I'm home, to say I did it.  if you're up for it maybe awheena youse will join me. 

Failing that measure everywhere above, up to the chapel, then straight in the Drumagarner road to the town.  Oh, and if you do want to join me, blinkers on from the chapel to Creighton Hutchinson's...don't want anyone being sidetracked into the Point. ;)

there's a good chap. ;D