The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Hopefully it's a sign that these sectarian hatefests are getting less popular.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2023, 11:51:50 AM

This will lead to a bumper turn out this year and the fall away again next year. No one wants to walk 10 miles and listen to hymns anymore when you can stand, drink and piss in the street for the day!

It's basically turned into to a rave in Sandy row now. Which is the issue for the elders.

naka

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 07, 2023, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2023, 11:51:50 AM

This will lead to a bumper turn out this year and the fall away again next year. No one wants to walk 10 miles and listen to hymns anymore when you can stand, drink and piss in the street for the day!

It's basically turned into to a rave in Sandy row now. Which is the issue for the elders.
It's a day on the beer on sandy row
Similar to saint patricks day in the holy lands

Not much temperance and religious fervour

full moon

Do Alliance members/voters engage in the Order Order parades and stuff anymore? Or Ulster Rugby type followers. Much of it seems more loyalist and working class in nature?

AustinPowers

general_lee

Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 02:26:31 PM
Do Alliance members/voters engage in the Order Order parades and stuff anymore? Or Ulster Rugby type followers. Much of it seems more loyalist and working class in nature?
Some of the rugby farmer types still love it. More and more people from a Unionist background are seeing it for the anachronistic shite that it is.

armaghniac

The OO is different in character in country parts and in Belfast. In many country parts a few oul fellows get together a few times a year and in most cases do not cause any great trouble to anyone, not least because they have to live there all year round. in Belfast it lets the sectarian slums take over the main streets, but the educated classes have less and less to do with it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 07, 2023, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 03:24:08 PM

The OO is different in character in country parts and in Belfast. In many country parts a few oul fellows get together a few times a year and in most cases do not cause any great trouble to anyone, not least because they have to live there all year round. in Belfast it lets the sectarian slums take over the main streets, but the educated classes have less and less to do with it.
Don't be fooled. Let's remember that those singing about Michaela McAreavey in that band hall were not from Belfast's slums but indeed from God fearing South Derry.
Yeah some places in Armagh are ferociously anti-Irish/Catholic. The area stretching from Portadown-Armagh-Markethill-Tandragee is fairly staunch.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 04:39:51 PM

Don't be fooled. Let's remember that those singing about Michaela McAreavey in that band hall were not from Belfast's slums but indeed from God fearing South Derry.
Yeah some places in Armagh are ferociously anti-Irish/Catholic. The area stretching from Portadown-Armagh-Markethill-Tandragee is fairly staunch.

I have no direct experience of this, in Cross' we did not ever have an Orange lodge unlike places like Birr or Roscrea. But in the 6  counties things are not homogenous, community relations might be decent in Poyntzpass but not in Tandragee, and local Orange lodge might fit into that.

imtommygunn

The Gaa social episode with Brian canavan was very interesting. He talked a lot about this and the cross community relationships in his community. What you say is like what he says. It varies greatly from place to place. I imagine all it takes is a few eejits on either side to sour these relations.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 07, 2023, 05:26:00 PM
The Gaa social episode with Brian canavan was very interesting. He talked a lot about this and the cross community relationships in his community. What you say is like what he says. It varies greatly from place to place. I imagine all it takes is a few eejits on either side to sour these relations.

I was thinking of that in my example, and previous comment by Tony Fearon, Presumably if there was a non confrontational approach in the local lodge then that is reflected in their leadership over time, a son takes over from his father on the committee or whatever. You'd have some places in Fermanagh with civil relations and while the likes of Kilkeel is not good, there could be other places in South Down where this was not the case.

general_lee

Poyntzpass is the benchmark for good relations. Can always remember when Armagh were going well late 90s/early 00s, the red, white & blue bunting came down straight after the 12th and the orange/white Armagh bunting went up, sometimes with a bit of cross over.

pbat

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 07:13:21 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 07, 2023, 05:26:00 PM

I was thinking of that in my example, and previous comment by Tony Fearon, Presumably if there was a non confrontational approach in the local lodge then that is reflected in their leadership over time, a son takes over from his father on the committee or whatever. You'd have some places in Fermanagh with civil relations and while the likes of Kilkeel is not good, there could be other places in South Down where this was not the case.

You'll find relationships are good when in areas were they're in a minority and generally in them areas the nationalists let them get on with it. I drove into a small parade last Sunday in South Armagh about two miles from my house. I didn't even know it was on, two cops held me for 10 mins till it walked passed, they stopped at a memorial said a few prayers played about 3 tunes and back into there cars and away.

In areas where they can still lord it over the pesky fenians you find the tensions.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 07:30:40 PM
Poyntzpass is the benchmark for good relations. Can always remember when Armagh were going well late 90s/early 00s, the red, white & blue bunting came down straight after the 12th and the orange/white Armagh bunting went up, sometimes with a bit of cross over.

Now they would have to do it the other way around!

Quote from: pbat on July 07, 2023, 07:46:49 PM
You'll find relationships are good when in areas were they're in a minority and generally in them areas the nationalists let them get on with it. I drove into a small parade last Sunday in South Armagh about two miles from my house. I didn't even know it was on, two cops held me for 10 mins till it walked passed, they stopped at a memorial said a few prayers played about 3 tunes and back into there cars and away.

In areas where they can still lord it over the pesky fenians you find the tensions.

Exactly.

full moon

Quote from: general_lee on July 07, 2023, 04:39:51 PM

There is a village called Richhill it's a stop on the Belfast-Cavan/Monaghan bus route. It's in that area I think?

It seemed like a staunch loyalist enclave, there was UVF flags on main Street I think and Soldier F. Not a place that seemed like stopping for a pint in lol