Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

Not funny at all. Even if you  are a referee (you wouldn't know by your posts on here )  ::) ;)

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2023, 11:23:52 PM
Quote from: Estimator on July 06, 2023, 11:05:03 PM
From twitter:

Not condoning or excusing what happened at Cookstown tonight, but the person involved is apparently a vulnerable adult with special-needs.
People should consider this before commenting or jumping to conclusions about what happened.

Anyone that shouts and abuses referees can be classed as someone with special needs, hope that clears that up

Are you ok at the minute? Genuine question.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PMG1

Quote from: Estimator on July 06, 2023, 11:05:03 PM
From twitter:

Not condoning or excusing what happened at Cookstown tonight, but the person involved is apparently a vulnerable adult with special-needs.
People should consider this before commenting or jumping to conclusions about what happened.
This is true and it would be totally out of character

GAABoardMod5

I have not deleted anything by poster Fionntamhnach.

The poster did delete a lot of his posts in late Dec 2022 and the last activity of that username is logged as 27 Dec 2022 at approx 3:15pm.

Wildweasel74

If he a vulnerable adult, what's he running round with a penknife on car keys?

Puckoon

Would  urge all to tread lightly and with any compassion that can be mustered. This thread could take a very rough turn but it's all relative and we are never in control of all the facts.

I've known him since we went to school together. A very smart man in his topics of interest, his posts were most informative. But he was socially and emotionally on the shorter side of the stick. Would have endured loneliness at best and bullies  at worst as a teenager and young man. Having a family member in this kind of space myself - it's not quite vulnerable adult but it's also not fully fledged everything is going well type adulthood either. Unless you've lived it you never have a clue what these individuals endure in their formative years. It's heartbreaking.

It's a horrible event, I'll be glad to hear when the injured parties and scared children etc involved are improving. And I hope he gets the help and structure he needs.

Edit: I'd noticed his posts here and his social media presence had dissappeared last year and was worried. I really do hope he gets some help as all was clearly not well when that happened.

PMG1

Quote from: Puckoon on July 07, 2023, 12:22:57 AM
Would  urge all to tread lightly and with any compassion that can be mustered. This thread could take a very rough turn but it's all relative and we are never in control of all the facts.

I've known him since we went to school together. A very smart man in his topics of interest, his posts were most informative. But he was socially and emotionally on the shorter side of the stick. Would have endured loneliness at best and bullies  at worst as a teenager and young man. Having a family member in this kind of space myself - it's not quite vulnerable adult but it's also not fully fledged everything is going well type adulthood either. Unless you've lived it you never have a clue what these individuals endure in their formative years. It's heartbreaking.

It's a horrible event, I'll be glad to hear when the injured parties and scared children etc involved are improving. And I hope he gets the help and structure he needs.

Edit: I'd noticed his posts here and his social media presence had dissappeared last year and was worried. I really do hope he gets some help as all was clearly not well when that happened.

Well said Puckoon, this was definitely not the man we both know. Life has not been easy for him and has lost some family members in the not too distant past, things were obviously not all well with him. My heart goes out to his family as I am sure they are very afraid for what lies ahead of him. His father would have been at the game and is as diehard a GAA man as you would ever find, he himself has not been physically well of late and after losing a daughter this is the last thing he would have needed. This is not a good situation

befair

Quote from: PMG1 on July 07, 2023, 01:32:43 AM

Well said Puckoon, this was definitely not the man we both know. Life has not been easy for him and has lost some family members in the not too distant past, things were obviously not all well with him. My heart goes out to his family as I am sure they are very afraid for what lies ahead of him. His father would have been at the game and is as diehard a GAA man as you would ever find, he himself has not been physically well of late and after losing a daughter this is the last thing he would have needed. This is not a good situation
Abusing/blaming refs is an accepted part of GAA culture. Whatever the circumstances of this particular incident, we need to change this culture

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2023, 09:52:29 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 06, 2023, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 06, 2023, 09:44:58 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 06, 2023, 09:36:17 PM
There'll be a big one in the news tomorrow.

Someone stabbed the ref in the leg at a U16 match in Cookstown.... and it wasn't even a Cookstown man that done it!!!!  ::)

WTF like

Just saw the photos. Don't recognise him. Desperate situation altogether. Who'd be a referee now...

Not sure if ref involved or not. Hearing a prominent Cookstown GAA man may have been the victim

GAA have only themselves to blame. Shitty attitudes towards discipline and authority. Chickens coming home to roost.
Thoughts with all those affected.
Fella with  mental health issues took a go at the ref, club man stepped in to protect the ref and was stabbed in the leg. Hope he is ok.

Dougal Maguire

Maybe best to lock this thread
Careful now

Cavan19

Quote from: marty34 on July 06, 2023, 11:12:41 PM
You could see refs going on strike.

Take a hardline approach, say for 3 weeks. No games played in all counties at underage and senior level.

That would focus minds.

I would back them in this.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Top G on July 07, 2023, 07:53:20 AM

The world has gone mad.

You can defend your best buddy from school all you want, but don't dare urge me to show compassion for a man who decided himself to pull out a knife and stab someone at a children's football match. I'm just glad the man was stopped when he was because God knows the damage he could've inflicted.

I understand what you're saying, the man might not be the full shilling or may have been dealt a bad hand but let's call a spade a spade, the man stabbed somebody. An absolute disgrace and should be held fully accountable for his actions, regardless of how many times you sat beside him on the bus or shared lunch with him.

He did not say the perpetrator should not be held fully accountable.
But he did say posters should refrain from making ill informed and inflammatory statements.
Do you think that is an unreasonable suggestion?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 07, 2023, 08:04:44 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 06, 2023, 11:12:41 PM
You could see refs going on strike.

Take a hardline approach, say for 3 weeks. No games played in all counties at underage and senior level.

That would focus minds.

I would back them in this.

Agree also - Semifinals and TC final cancelled because refs on strike. If there's no ref there's no game, would drive home the message

Rudi

Sounds like a human tragedy, thought he came across well here. Difficult for all involved - mental health is beyond most peoples comprehension You have to live it, before you have some understanding.
You would have to question why one in this condition would be carrying a knife of sorts. Fair play to the Cookstown club man, who put himself in harms way for the protection of the referee. Hope the referee will be ok, also hope F.. gets the help he requires.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Jerome on July 07, 2023, 06:13:39 AM
Whilst not condoning the actions or anything like that I believe there was no knife involved as earlier reported. Believe the weapon was an umbrella.

from tyrone thread...