Free money

Started by billy the kid, December 10, 2007, 03:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

...just received this email
Maybe Billy - you'd do your usual...

Your Chance to Make Another Statement!

Fellow gaels in north Leinster  have arranged a public meeting on the pay-for-play arrangements as follows:

Wednesday 19 December
7.30 pm
Cavan Crystal Hotel, Cavan Town

Let's see what the south Ulster/north Leinster/north Connacht view on all this stuff is. If you're from there, then turn up at the Cavan Crystal next Wednesday night. Bring others with you ... and tell even more people about it. This is one of the most important things you'll be asked to do to help reverse the pay-for-play agenda ... so let's have a turnout that makes a statement!

If you're getting this email you're a believer. If you're a believer, be there!
(If anyone sees a bearded gentlemen in a red suit ... invite him along!)

After Last Saturday ...
After the approval of the pay-for-play arrangements last Saturday - by Central Council only, remember (and in my official guide Central Council is just one of five levels of "jurisdiction" within the GAA, the other four being Clubs; Counties; Provinces; and Congress) - what's now to stop this scenario:

Millionaire A offers County A's Senior Football Panel members €/£20,000 a man to win the All-Ireland
He offers Player B from County B €/£50,000 to come on board ... and gives him a job/address in County A
All parties sign an agreement stating that they "recognise that the GAA is an Amateur Association and state their absolute commitment to the maintenance of the amateur status of the Association. They state that nothing in this agreement shall be allowed to undermine the amateur status of Gaelic games". (Does that last bit sound familiar?)
In the new post-8 December world how can the GAA legally or morally oppose such a scenario? It's performance-based; County panel-specifc; isn't "our" money; and will be paid/distributed by a third party. And there's a paper guaranteeing the amateur status. So it clearly isn't pay for play! (It's definitely time for that bearded gentleman in the red suit!)

Up Down! Up Tyrone!
Tyrone and Down will meet in next year's Ulster SFC (GPA strikes etc permitting of course!). Whatever the outcome, we'll know we have two true GAA counties going head-to-head.

On Sunday Down voted unanimously to reject last Saturday's pay-for-play deal. On Tuesday night Tyrone voted 152:1 to reject any meddling with Rule 11 via grants or any other sleight-of-hand. Tyrone's mathematics are interesting in that they almost certainly reflect the proper proportions involved in this whole issue. Don't let's pretend there isn't a "GPA view". There is. And it has a right to be heard. But for every GAA person holding that view we'd be very confident there'd be 150 who don't hold it.

To its shame last Saturday made no attempt to reflect or seek the views of the 150.

You're Growing ... and Growing ... and Growing!
As of last night, 12 December, there's 521 of you out there. Thank you for supporting the opposition to pay-for-play.

We believe this is now on the agenda for Congress 2008. And we intend to keep the debate rolling right up until then. To do that we need your help.

Stay with us!
Keep raising this issue!
Don't accept that the fat lady has sung (she hasn't even warmed up yet!)
Keep reinforcing what the GAA's really about!
And come to the Cavan Crystal Hotel next Wednesday night!

billy the kid

jus keeping her up there boys  ;D ;D ;D

dont want people to forget that the GPA are trying to sell our soul to the devil.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

tbrick18

My brother was at a forum in Croke Park on Saturday there with representatives from clubs from all over the country (about 500 I think he said). Brennan was there and they were asked to raise issues that they thought were relevant about the GAA today. Not surprisingly the issue of grants was raised and a vote was taken to guage the feeling amongst the forum members....a unanimous NO vote was made. I think this is a very good indication of the grass roots feeling about paying players the grants.

Another interesting (and unrelated) point raised was about the money generated from the use of Croke Park for Soccer and Rugby matches. Nicky Brennan assured the forum that every penny in income genered by these games would be filtered down to the clubs throughout the country by means of a lottery grant type system.

feetofflames

what about gate receipts, new sponsorships etc.  Its important the GAA wholeheratedly assists the clubs to build the GAA in communities.  Croke Park is built now, it needs no more money spent on it.  It is a money making jewel in the GAA crown, all money from all games needs to be grant aided to the clubs..
Chief Wiggum

lynchbhoy

the money made from croker etc is also used to pay these coaches of schools and underage kids. The GAA have taken on a huge amount of these people and it is a fantastic step to take, both as an added PR service and recruitment vehicle, plus helping tackle the modern problem of child obesity and laziness!
Other things the GAA need to start using the money for is an improvement in the injury funding - whether short term or long term problems of no longer being able to work due to GAA related injuries etc.
Bereavement funding also.
imo.

I think local GAA clubs could be utilised the same way, allowing their facilities and grounds to be used by local parish for whatever purpose and PR these clubhouses and pitches back to being the focal point of comunities and parishes again, thus bringing back more kids to play where they would have fallen by the wayside.
Local GAA clubs can take back money in the community to help self-improve its club and facilities.

Another thing I would liek to see 'excess ' GAA money being used for is the provision of all weather pitches at at many clubs that have the space for them. this provides an all year round facility to play hurling/football etc.
An all weather pitch is ideal for starting off kids hurling in juvenile hurling academies.
An All weather pitch is another resource to rent out as well.

Zapatista

Well done to you of one belief!! You put up a good fight.

I will ask however that you do not leave the stage just yet. There will be need for people like you in the future and I hope that when that time comes you can rise to that challenge with the same passion you faced your first challenge.

Thank you of one belief.

lynchbhoy

I'd like to see the vote go to the membership of the GAA, all the folk of voting age...members and players in clubs..

as I still have not met anyone apart from on this board who is in favour ...

I'd happily take the decision of the majority, but dont know where the consensus 'for' the grants is coming from...

magpie seanie

Where are all the people who were sreaming blue murder about how every member had to have their say in the Rule 42 debate? Where are these lovers of democracy? Is it only certain times that they want democracy?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2008, 04:34:52 PM
Where are all the people who were sreaming blue murder about how every member had to have their say in the Rule 42 debate? Where are these lovers of democracy? Is it only certain times that they want democracy?

ab-so-f**king-lutely

Uladh

Now don't shoot me for this lads but there obviously isn't anywhere near the strength of feeling on this issue as the rule 42 one. You can't wish it to be so.

I would agree that every member should have their say but i get the distinct feeling that there wouldn't be a great turn out. i picked up the first voice of concern on the issue in our own club last night. we're a long way down the track now.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 17, 2008, 10:34:11 AM

Now don't shoot me for this lads but there obviously isn't anywhere near the strength of feeling on this issue as the rule 42 one. You can't wish it to be so.

I would agree that every member should have their say but i get the distinct feeling that there wouldn't be a great turn out. i picked up the first voice of concern on the issue in our own club last night. we're a long way down the track now.

It's a bit late now.  ;)

lynchbhoy

isnt that the point though

the whole thing was kept ambiguous and so drawn out, we were both bored and uninformed as to what was actually happening, until the end when the ruling was made.
There was I suppose an expectancy that like other similar items - such as rule 42 and rule 21, there would need to be a vote, but as this was not simply a county board matter, this being a player issue, and the 'grassroots' being bandied about, where were clubs asked for their vote on the matter and the membership within each club going towards a county ballot and therefore a consensus county mandate and decision - towards a countrywide ballot.
No - counties were asked to vote, but to my knowledge, no representation from the actual members was asked for and therefore not given.
How can such an issue be decided upon.

I think the political ploy here by GAA HQ was great in getting this passed with minimal fuss. They didnt want a consensus sought fom individual club members, so it was kept as vague and high level as possible. , so they could have it passed and avert any dispute with gpa and any disruption towards the impending championship.

not on imo.
duffy seems to be a soft sihte fool.

orangeman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 17, 2008, 11:06:46 AM
isnt that the point though

the whole thing was kept ambiguous and so drawn out, we were both bored and uninformed as to what was actually happening, until the end when the ruling was made.
There was I suppose an expectancy that like other similar items - such as rule 42 and rule 21, there would need to be a vote, but as this was not simply a county board matter, this being a player issue, and the 'grassroots' being bandied about, where were clubs asked for their vote on the matter and the membership within each club going towards a county ballot and therefore a consensus county mandate and decision - towards a countrywide ballot.
No - counties were asked to vote, but to my knowledge, no representation from the actual members was asked for and therefore not given.
How can such an issue be decided upon.

I think the political ploy here by GAA HQ was great in getting this passed with minimal fuss. They didnt want a consensus sought fom individual club members, so it was kept as vague and high level as possible. , so they could have it passed and avert any dispute with gpa and any disruption towards the impending championship.
not on imo.
duffy seems to be a soft sihte fool.

ab-so-f**king-lutely    ;)