Kevin Moran - only man to win All Ireland and FA Cup ?

Started by SuperMac, December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 03, 2008, 01:52:57 PM

"I played Gaelic Football with some of the local boys ..." recalls Alonso.  ... "It was very fast, very tough. Maybe they should wear crash helmets."

Bloody anti-Meath Spaniard.

5 Sams

Whatever about playing football......it's the fact that he came from Spain to MEATH to learn English that is hard to believe ;) ;) :P
The Aristocrat Years

CSC

Quote from: dublinfella on January 03, 2008, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 01, 2008, 10:20:57 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 01, 2008, 10:01:30 PM
QuoteSocrates does not have a Sigerson Cup medal.

But Mohammed Ali did play hurling.

Xavi Alonso played Gaelic Football

I think that one can be filed under the Gerd Muller handball or Socrates Sigerson medal myth.

but did Socrates not win an All Ireland Freshers medal

Jinxy

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 03, 2008, 02:16:36 PM
Whatever about playing football......it's the fact that he came from Spain to MEATH to learn English that is hard to believe ;) ;) :P

Meath is very popular with Spanish kids who can't speak english good and want to learn how to do other stuff good too (like play football).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

saffron sam2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 01, 2008, 10:15:39 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 01, 2008, 08:55:05 PM
Gerry McIlhenny is the only man with an All-Star and a "Home International" (not my phrase) winners medal.
So does Gerry McElhinney
;)

Lynchbhoy in "Position To Correct Someone Else's Spelling" shocker.

Sorry Gerry.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Jinxy

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 03, 2008, 06:52:32 PM
His favourite Irish town is now Naaaaaaavan

Listen closely next time "the 'pool" are on Match of the Day. "Heeor Gerrard, pass us de bawl will ye!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Pangurban

Not true. John Kirwan won All Ireland medal with Dublin in 1894, and was on the tottenham side which won the FA Cup in 1901..

Leg End

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 01, 2008, 08:55:05 PM
Quote from: SuperMac on December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 PM
Just wondering, is Kevin Moran the only man to win All Ireland Senior ('76, '77) and an FA Cup medal ( '83, '85 ). Pretty good collection of medals for any man. Or if not a major soccer medal, then maybe an international Boxing title, Rugby, Golf, whatever, along with an All Ireland Senior ?

Martin O'Neill has MacRory, Ulster minor football and European Cup winners medals.

MacRory Cup is an ulster schools title
we're here for a good time, not a long time

dublinfella

Quote from: CSC on January 03, 2008, 02:28:11 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 03, 2008, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 01, 2008, 10:20:57 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 01, 2008, 10:01:30 PM
QuoteSocrates does not have a Sigerson Cup medal.

But Mohammed Ali did play hurling.

Xavi Alonso played Gaelic Football

I think that one can be filed under the Gerd Muller handball or Socrates Sigerson medal myth.

but did Socrates not win an All Ireland Freshers medal

there is no such competetion and he never played any sport in Ireland. He had a trial for Bohs and wasnt up to standard at the time as he did his PhD in UCD long after his playing career finished.

heganboy

They're no such competition as all ireland freshers? I feckin knew it.
Feckin' conspiracy were all of those games and the crowd at the final a set-up? I knew there was something strange going on. Bastards
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

lynchbhoy

there is or there WAS such a competition that ends up in an all Ireland freshers final.

I played in one and was unlucky to be on the team beaten by the cheating banger playing jordanstown in 1988.
(was told the sorry story the following summer in america by one of the Jordanstown players who I met there)
Those heady days, where I took the ball off maurice fitz and stuck it over the bar when we played ucc in our first game in our 'group stage' in the fresher competition !

Saffron sam - you'd normally be the first to correct folks in the event of a spelling mistake ... just thought I'd do the same for you ;) :D

Our Nail Loney

There definitely is an All Ireland freshers competition.

In my fresher year (2003 I think, not really sure, I have had three) Jordanstown won it, Queen's were put out by Cork, though they beat J'town in the group stages I think.