Frank McGuigan on grants

Started by ONeill, January 03, 2008, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: tram on January 06, 2008, 12:44:33 AM

1 - As I've already said, payments to managers, players in the USA & trainers over the years have all been underground, clandestine, kept away from the accounting details & clearly against the rules. The "grants" are in a sense, above board and are being claimed so by Central Council, the GPA & the Irish Government. By your logic your local bunch of chemists should be looking to get a bigger cut of prescription money from the government because some people are making money dealing with Cannabis, Heroin & Meth. The case with students is for me a fence-sitter as the recipients of these direct from the GAA are under obligation to their third level studies and lose this if they drop out. But if they have to be sacrificed to keep any claim of pay-for-play out of the GAA, so be it.

See, that's why I'm loathe to continue here. I'm not saying the (your analogy) chemist deserves a bigger cut because the underworld exists. I'm simply pointing out that the underworld does exist and it's hypocritical to berate the legal and ignore the much more lucrative illegal.

Finally - it's seems to be a recurring theme amongst the anti-grant gang that what is 'under the table' is wrong but 'happens' so keep whist - it ain't broken. Even if it involves Tyrone players receiving $15000. Even if it entails certain trainers in Tyrone receiving £500 a month. Even if it involves managers receiving 5-figures. To me, that's just head-in-the-sand crazy. Deny inter-county players a sum of E1500 for govn approved sporting allowances yet allow 10 times that amount elsewhere just because it's not common knowledge and not written in stone?

For you to say that 'tax money' is the same as the money your club receives for you drinking in club, paying entrance fees, lotteries, annual subscription etc is stretching it. If you pay taxes you know your money will be used for a plethora of govn schemes. Bet you didn't think your club money was going towards paying Paddy.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Tram - interesting that you tslk about club Tyrone there - has the grants issue had an effect on the contributions ? If not, do you think it will have ? Will people still be happy to pay out money to County board ?

I hope they do continue to do so by the way but some people are bound to be asking themselves questions.

orangeman

This Garvaghey complex will  need a lot of money pumped into it. So the club Tyrone money will be needed for an awfully long time.

Fishbat

As a few have said this "pay for play" has been going on for a lot longer than any of us probably realise through business deals, jobs, odd backhander to the chosen few etc...  Few clubs are snow white.  Is corrupt too strong a word?

Anyways more to the point - good luck to Kyle Coney in Sydney, the Lough shore swan

orangeman

Good luck to him is right - hope he wins the premiership or whatever it is called. When does the Aussie rules season start and finish ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fishbat on January 07, 2008, 09:28:48 PM
As a few have said this "pay for play" has been going on for a lot longer than any of us probably realise through business deals, jobs, odd backhander to the chosen few etc...

The fundamental difference before though, was that such (monies) were never demanded as a right before a ball was kicked.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fishbat

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 07, 2008, 09:38:13 PM
Quote from: Fishbat on January 07, 2008, 09:28:48 PM
As a few have said this "pay for play" has been going on for a lot longer than any of us probably realise through business deals, jobs, odd backhander to the chosen few etc...

The fundamental difference before though, was that such (monies) were never demanded as a right before a ball was kicked.

Who knows what went on across parishes

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fishbat on January 07, 2008, 09:48:26 PM
Who knows what went on across parishes

The exceptions have become the rule it would seem.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

give her dixie

On the subject of the topic, Frank has once again showed himself up with taking a load of nonsense. Every time he opens his gub, his brain is not in tune with his tongue, and he talks a complete load of bull. The man has lost the plot some time ago, and his behaviour in relation to selling his All Star on E Bay speaks volumes for the man.
Plus, the only journalist who will write about him is a certain Kevin Hughes in the Tyrone Times. Kevin has a habit of printing contoversal items that are biased and have a hidden agenda. Remember how he made a complete idot out of Jody O' Neill in '05 after the Ulster Final?
Let Frank and Kevin ramble on as no one with any intelligence gives the pair of them any respect for what they have to say.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

That story about Jody O'Neill talking about Mickey Harte was distasteful to say the least.  The final insult was delivered when Tyrone went on to win Sam.

Apaarently Jody didn't say anything like what was reported - maybe Mc Guigan has been misquoted as well ?

lynchbhoy

as its the new year, will frank make an equally insightful statement about diets and helathy regiemes ?
;)