MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The mental health issue is basically a bye-ball in this Act, its such a grey area that anyone can abuse it and get an abortion - therefore abortion on demand!!
Tbc....

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 31, 2008, 01:41:35 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 31, 2008, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 31, 2008, 01:22:55 PM
I don't think we should go down the road of the Catholic Church's teachings here. It values life so much that it would rather millions died of AIDS than sanction the use of condoms.

Surely they would rather Catholics abided by their teachings and refrained from sex before marriage thereby negating the need for condoms to prevent AIDS.
Are you serious? Millions of Africans have AIDS, many of them are married. The Catholic Church opposes the use of contraceptives in these instances as well.

No, the Catholic Church would say that the married couple should not be having sex if there is a risk that one partner may transmit a disease to the other.

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on August 01, 2008, 09:32:03 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 31, 2008, 01:41:35 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 31, 2008, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 31, 2008, 01:22:55 PM
I don't think we should go down the road of the Catholic Church's teachings here. It values life so much that it would rather millions died of AIDS than sanction the use of condoms.

Surely they would rather Catholics abided by their teachings and refrained from sex before marriage thereby negating the need for condoms to prevent AIDS.
Are you serious? Millions of Africans have AIDS, many of them are married. The Catholic Church opposes the use of contraceptives in these instances as well.

No, the Catholic Church would say that the married couple should not be having sex if there is a risk that one partner may transmit a disease to the other.
Yes, that's living in the real world.

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 l

quote]I know what the Catholic Church teaches 'in an ideal world',

Are you complaining about a catholic church teaching about how to live in an ideal world?

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on August 01, 2008, 01:46:55 PM
Quote from: Maguire01

QuoteI know what the Catholic Church teaches 'in an ideal world',

Are you complaining about a catholic church teaching about how to live in an ideal world?
In a nutshell, yes. In understand that religious teaching is often be based on an 'ideal world' scenario, that everyone should be good, etc etc.... but to be relevant, surely the Church/Churches has/have to be a bit more pragmatic in advising on how to deal with situations that aren't so nice and ideal.
Even taking the HIV/AIDs scenario out of the equation for a minute, do you think that sexual relations between a married couple should be solely for procreation? In the grand scheme of things, what (negative) difference does a bit of rubber make?

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2008, 06:31:39 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on August 01, 2008, 01:46:55 PM
Quote from: Maguire01

QuoteI know what the Catholic Church teaches 'in an ideal world',

In a nutshell, yes. In understand that religious teaching is often be based on an 'ideal world' scenario, that everyone should be good, etc etc.... but to be relevant, surely the Church/Churches has/have to be a bit more pragmatic in advising on how to deal with situations that aren't so nice and ideal.
Even taking the HIV/AIDs scenario out of the equation for a minute, do you think that sexual relations between a married couple should be solely for procreation? In the grand scheme of things, what (negative) difference does a bit of rubber make?

In the grander scheme of things a piece of rubber takes away from the God's devine intention for Marriage.  First of all Marriage is a "sacrament" not just a piece of paper and not everyone fully understands what they are committing to before they enter into marriage.  Never mind who they are making this pledge to apart from their spouse.

from the Catechism:
"By its very nature the institution of marriage and married love is ordered to the procreation and education of the offspring and it is in them that it finds its crowning glory."162

How can the Catholic Church take a more liberal stance on contraception or anything else for that matter?  It goes against God.

Yes the church strives for an "ideal" world and the "real" world is very much different than what they would hope for but to let standards and morals slip just because it is unrealistic according to your ideas and opinions is an extremely foolish view in my opinion.

I have a son - a piece of rubber would mean I don't have that son.  God intended for us to be blessed with that son and who am I or you or anyone else to go against Him?

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

if you believe in God and the Trinity and the Holy Spirit then in a way yes He did

When Jesus rose from the dead He left us the Holy Spirit   - as a Church we believe that the Holy Spirit continues to guide us.

God instituted the Church with Peter and his modern day descendants as its head

What the Church says  - God backs up

I don't expect anyone to believe anything just because I say so or the Bible says so or a priest says so

Believe if you all want  - I do
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Quote from: tram on August 07, 2008, 05:30:55 PM
QuoteGod intended for us to be blessed with that son and who am I or you or anyone else to go against Him?

Quoteif you believe in God and the Trinity and the Holy Spirit then in a way yes He did

What proof is there that "God" is male?

He invented Monday night football, poker and golf!

sid waddell

omaghjoe

Except for all the Humans that don't even have the right to a life..... A very sad day

sid waddell

Thankfully those that want to keep NI as backward cesspit which treats women like shit are dwindling

And now they've lost forever, which is wonderful

Abortion and same sex marriage will be an accepted fact of life in no time at all, and people will wonder how it took so long

Only the doolally, headbanging fringe will continue to make an issue of this

Before long even the DUP will have accepted it

Ireland is finally united in recognising human rights

BennyCake

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2019, 12:48:14 AM
Ireland is finally united in recognising human rights

...and in recognizing that humans dont have the right to life