Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

Mr. Pain thinks that the meeting has been delayed until Friday night and the outcome will not be known until after that. Mr. Pain finds it kinda funny. Some supporters are just idiots! The Ballinagh ones are worst because every club has a few but Ballinagh have a lot of these stupid bas***ds who heckle referees, officials, opposition players, opposition management, opposition supporters and even their own players and management whenever the opportunity arises. They seem to go to games just for that purpose. Mr. Pain has encountered this on numerous occasions. It is frustrating and Mr. Pain often feels like inflicting maximum pain on these lugs but unlike some he has restraint. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Anyone heading the Minor Semi Final on Sunday. Might make the trip up myself. Hopefully we'll get a result which will minimum get us a place in  the All Ireland quarter final. That would be a great achievement given our terrible runs in previous years.

mylestheslasher

Jasus, Ulster Minor Semi and senior qualifier draw this weekend and not a peep out of anyone. Has there been a nuclear explosion in Cavan in my absense. Good luck to our minors. Our seniors need more than luck I am afraid.

The Bottom Brick

Long time away from the board!

I have a feeling that we'll take Tyrone this Sunday. I was very impressed with the way Cavan kicked on late in the game against Armagh.

The two wing forwards and two midfielders are excellent, though I think McClarey should start.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 27, 2008, 08:29:04 AM
Anyone heading the Minor Semi Final on Sunday. Might make the trip up myself. Hopefully we'll get a result which will minimum get us a place in  the All Ireland quarter final. That would be a great achievement given our terrible runs in previous years.
The Game is all Ticket Myles so cant see too many Cavan Fans being at it.

Also Welcome Back to the board Brick.

Homer

Just sticking my head in door as I'm absolutely buried with work this week.

Anyway to cut a long story short you may not be surprised to find that I think the ban is ridiculous.

I just can't see how the county board can punish the players of Ballinagh who had absolutely nothing to do with the incident. The lads worked their bo***ks off, to finally return Ballinagh to Division One football after 15 years of trying and why should the luantic actions of a "fan" take that away from them. At the end of the day they just want to play football.

If the ban does go ahead the fallout from this could be catastrophic for GAA in Ballinagh.

As for all the open questions on the suspension I'm afraid I know as much as yourselves as to what the ban actually entails, for instance the Junior Division 4 Championship requires players are not involved with the Senior Championship so I guess we have a full squad for it then.

Ballinagh put forward their appeal tonight. but with all the media attention it's hard to see the CB budging.

Anyway best of luck to the minors on Sunday and see ye in Clones

Denn Forever

It is a harsh sentence but we need to make an example someplace.  There was a lot of kudos on the main board about the stand thatt the CB made.

How will the GAA be affected in Ballinagh?  All other teams as far as I understand will still be operating.  You'll have one hell of a division 4 and Junior B team.  Saw that the Div 4 team was playing on Wedensday night (well the carpark was filled and ballinagh were supposed to be playing mullahoran).

The GAA seem to be coming down hard on all ill discipline and hopefully it will all stick.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

Heard minors were a point up with a minute to go, lost it by two.

Are we stuck in a f**king time loop or something when it comes to big minor championship games? I f**king give up, I really do.

mylestheslasher

Made the trip to Clones on Sunday and came home wondering what might have been. It was a strange game with both teams losing their half badly when playing with the wind. Cavan switched their FF Tierney (Ballyhaise) with Ctr Forward McDermott (ballinagh) and treid to Isolate McDermott on the Tyrone FB. While Cavan had loads of ball in the 1st half they kicked brutal passes into McDermott. The other problem they had was a total obsession with hand passing the ball out of defence. Tyrone put on the pressure and turned these chances into points. Tyrones goal game from a hopeful punt forward that was totally misjudged by Leddy at Fb (Gaels), Tyrones forward headed for goal and Leddy pulled him down. Cavan went in 0-3 to 1-6 behind at half time. A couple of switches at half time really changed the game. Packie Leddy of Rehills came on at FF and McDermott went back out the field. Team Captain Oisin Minagh (Redhills) went to Ctr Back for the injured Fergal Flanagan. The 2nd half belonged to Cavan.Big McKiernan lad from Mullahoran at midfield started winning everything from kickout and direct ball into the sub at FF casued Tyrone serious problems. Tyrones FB was then sent of for a 2nd yellow just into the 2nd half and suddenly it looked like we could get back at them. Some fine attacks yielded points and we were back to only 2 down with 10 minutes left. Then A long ball in broke of the FF to Tierney who scored with ease. So 1 point up and that winning mentality of Tyrone kicked in. A free equalised and then their star man Kyle Coney kicked a huge point from 45m to put them ahead again in injury time. He then go himself sent of for a 2nd yellow, yet even with two men less Tyrone were able to run the entire field with an overlap to kicked the security point.

It is hard to sum up the game really. This is not as good a minor team as in the past but they had a lot of heart. But they were very wasteful when in possesion kicking wildly at the posts and fumbling the ball a lot. Team Captain Minagh was very poor I thought and to be honest its the 3rd time I've seen him this year and he has been poor in all. He only was taken of with injury near the end. I think he should have come off earlier. Best for Cavan was mcKiernan at midfield. He had no help but still lorded it against a midfield that Tyrone tried to crowd out. He is a big lad and is definetely one for the future. Niall McDermott was our most acurate forward and Tierney of the Haise was good in parts. He seems like a very strong young lad. He palmed of a Tyrone back at one stage and nearly put him into the stand!

I would give Mickey Graham some credit as this was not the best minor team ever but he did get two wins out of them and put for some atrocious ball play in the 1st half we would have beaten Tyrone. I expect Tyrone will win the final and god knows maybe the whole thing.

I see the seniors got Kildare away in the back door. Same as a few years ago. Not a bad draw on paper but that is what Kildare are thinking too I'd imagine.

cavanmaniac

Thanks for the report myles, just like I feared, we once again had the beating of Tyrone but when it comes to the last few minutes, when the big boys are separated from the little boys, the northern teams always have that mental edge over us. Until we change the mindset and approach a gamewith real belief, we'll always be the bridesmaids with moral victories. What's the bets Tyrone go all the way now and reflect at year's end and say Cavan was the toughest game they had?

I should say though that Mickey Graham looks our most promising minor manager for as long as I can recall, hopefully he'll have learned a bit himself and has a decent team to work with next year. E.g. many of that team still underage next year?

Depressing fact: We haven't beaten Tyrone in a competitive game, NFL or championship, at minor, U21 or senior, since 1996.  :o  So many times in the last 12 years, particularly at minor we've been in pole position and coughed it up. Ah well  :-\

Hollow Man

I agree that Graham is shaping up as a good manager by his results with the Bridge and Scumalee, sorry Drumalee (THIS IS A JOKE BOOJANGLES CALM DOWN) but at the end of the day his results with the minors are the same as those acheived by Nelligan, Brady, Clarke, Keogan etc at that level ie competing well but not winning the Ulster Minor League, then choking when they have the beating of a good Northern team.

I think they have a good side next year, I know Barry Reilly, Kevin Tierney, Packie Leddy etc are underage again.

PS The midfielder McKiernan is from Swad I think, not Mullahoran as someone said earlier

cavanmaniac

Oh aye, it seems we've got Kildare in the qualifiers again, almost forgot.

Newbridge is a tough place to go but you'd reckon if Wicklow can beat them, Cavan can at least give them a game. Mind you, Kildare have had a good while to recover since that loss and I hear on the grapevine that McGeeney has Kildare hitting all around them in challenge games which won't suit our boys.

It's a terrible thing to have to say but I hope we lose it convincingly so that people at the top realise that big changes have to be made. I honestly think the county is at as low an ebb now as it ever was, it's utterly depressing what a shambles the whole thing is, administration, management, you name it.

Hollow Man

Apparently Kildare lost to Tipp in a challenge at the weekend

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 01, 2008, 12:41:53 PM
Apparently Kildare lost to Tipp in a challenge at the weekend

:o

Holy fack.

You know the danger here is that we win a game or two in the qualifiers and Keogan stays? Perish the thought. I have nothing personal against the fella and I'll concede he did his best and was very passionate (good to see after years of outsiders) but the bottom line is that he just won't be able to take the team forward.

Denn Forever

[/quote]

:o

Holy fack.

You know the danger here is that we win a game or two in the qualifiers and Keogan stays? Perish the thought. I have nothing personal against the fella and I'll concede he did his best and was very passionate (good to see after years of outsiders) but the bottom line is that he just won't be able to take the team forward.
[/quote]

I think that most people want a new manager.  A number of points

What specifically needs to be done?

Who is currently missing from the panel?  What would they bring to the mix?

What changes need to be made to the tactics? 
Been away from "live" football for a while but have watched a few games in Cavan (U21, Junior and Senior).  It seems that teams are playing like Armagh/Tyrone/Derry/Kertry etc i.e.quick ball, no body taking a shot from any distance greater than 25 yards but trying to walk the ball in.  The unfortune thing is that I've seen no team that does it well.  The team that wins do it less badly than the other team

What input have the current panel to the current bad showing?

I have no great ideas as I think that the current team and players don't have a plan and even if they were given a plan of action, they would not keep to it.  Getting very disillusioned.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...