Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cromagh

Exactly Brick.....McIlkennon got rid of him last year for same reason....he doesnt want county football enough, neither does pierson! Thats ok but you lads just keep throwing crazy money at outside men.......who wufdnt take the money......u need to start with u-16,s u-14's and breed the winning mentality and what it takes at this age!!

BallyhaiseMan

Pierson has outstanding ability but is lazy in all aspects, he labours to the ball in games,and is often caught behind his man which is unacceptable for forwards at interCounty Level.
He never looks very fit so id also question how hard and often he trains.And reading the few last comments,im not alone there either.
Id respect the management alot more if they would do away with these type of players and get some in there who may not just have as much football ability but will be physically and mentally fit for championship football.

cavan4ever

After watching Sligo yesterday it just shows what can be done when players put in the effort.

BallyhaiseMan

Predictions
Senior Championship

Drumalee V Ramor     - Ramor
Knockbride V Killygarry  -Killygarry
Lacken V Belturbet    -  draw with Belturbet winning replay
Mullahoran V Denn      -Mullahoran
Kingscourt V Cuchullains   -Kingscourt
Castlerahan V Crosserlough   -Crosserlough
Gowna V Cavan Gaels   - Cavan Gaels

Intermediate Championship
Cootehill V Redhills           -Redhills
Ballinagh V Baileboro        -Ballinagh
Drung V Drumlane          -Draw with Drumlane winning replay (sorry C4ever)
Ballymachugh V Lavey     -Lavey
Drumgoon V Kill             -Drumgoon
Ballyhaise V Swad          - Ballyhaise
Laragh V Killinkere         -Killinkere

Junior Championship
Arva V Maghera                         -Arva
B'bridge V Mountnugent           -Bridge
Shercock V Killeshandra              -Shercock although i fancy Killeshandra to be in contention come Sept/October aswell
M'Connacht V Templeport          -Munterconnacht
Corlough V Cornafean                -Cornafean
Kildallan V Shannon Gaels           -Killdallan

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 09, 2007, 04:41:09 PM
After watching Sligo yesterday it just shows what can be done when players put in the effort.

It reminds me of a favourite topic of mine; the need for a good, respected manager to put the right environment in place, followed by the buy-in of the players, and anything is possible.

We beat Sligo in the league and achieved promotion ahead of them but they've done better than us in the summer when it matters by dint of a determined, passionate manager who has a bunch of players willing to die for the shirt and who quite simply never give up. Cavan made some progress in this area this year but more is required. It just shows you what's possible with an inspirational manager in charge and all players pulling together for the cause and working like demons for a win.

A few of Cavan's players have lost sight of what it should mean to pull on the shirt and believe they own the jersey and it owes them, as opposed to being mere keepers of the flame on a temporary basis. The pride in our county, self belief and will to win we had under McHugh and last glimpsed under Coleman has shimmered away into thin air. The guys ducking off to the States said it all in that regard.

Cromagh is spot on about the need to start from scratch with the underage guys and instil a mentality of pride and determination in them, we're waiting on another 1997 to lift the whole scene when that logic is basically a case of putting the horse before the cart. It's the younger generations that can bring Cavan football back to health, not the other way around, and we must out our faith in them and leave no stone unturned until the dream is realised.

anglocelt39

04 and 05-competing creditably and hard at business end of the year against-Down, Armagh, Derry, Tyrone, Donegal, Meath and Mayo. 06 and 07 we won a sum total of ONE championship match at ANY level (Down minors last year). There are lads much closer to the action who can offer a view on this decline, from a distance was some of it related to the departure of the late Eamon Coleman. As far as I can see the Coleman/Marty team was the last time we had a structured management team in place where responsibilities were clear-Eamon-knew the game, knew Cavan football, took no shit from players or oficials and convinced young players they were good enough, backed up by a top class fitness coach.

One factor that can't be disputed is that in 06 and 07 we turned out teams that simply were not fit enough for championship football. Was it a case of player power kicking in once a man of Eamon's stature was out of the way?

What's really frustrating is that with a top class management structure in place we should have been in a position to do something this year-by that I mean a take no shite from players or anybody else and only put out players that want to play/are fit to play at the required level-think back to the potential in the younger players that were emerging in 04-Hannon, Gaynor, McKeever, Lyng, Pierson-a lot of un-realised potential there which is a shame. Coax back Crowe and Mckenna and there was the makings of a respectable run of some sort this year. So next year can herald big improvements, whether the management team has what it takes to force a major change in attitude by the players-who knows.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

maverick

Ballyhaise Man

Have to disagree with you on 2 accounts. First off I think Cootehill will beat Redhills. I was talking to a redhills player lately and he reckons the wheels have come off their wagon. So thats not a good sign. Also I know the next comment might create a few raised eyebrows but I think Balieborough will beat Ballinagh. what with the 'naghs ability to c**k up at every opportunity and and recent reports i've heard about a resurgence in the east cavan club (though you wouldn't thnk it from their results) i'm thinking we could be about to see an early upset. i mean there's gonna be at least one big upset. there usually is, and i have a funny feeling its gonna be that match.

Hank Everlast

So what are the chances of Paul Grimley being tempted back to Aramgh, anyone know how long he has agreed to stay with cavan? Alot of rumours are circulating around the big man goin homewards to replace joe kernan?

shotstopper1

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 09, 2007, 03:28:03 PM
anyone got the link to the preview from the echo last week? six steps to beating mayo or something...

cant find the link on their site

http://www.cavanecho.com/home.tvt?_ticket=M75OV6KACK3SMLDEIOQNCP2DALOLQEHFURUSKONHAUUFBTPIDIRGUU21S0MAAQ6EAKLAEUTITRRHVR29ANVROXKACJ5S2QRFK10L9NTHLF3NBHSJ7TUEIOQL4AFDALONBHSMXQRFOPMAAUZDALRBBHSM8QRFLZFKXB&_scope=CavanEcho/Content/Sport&id=808&psv=1

How to beat Mayo in seven easy steps!

Cavan Echo   

07/06/2007   

INCREDIBLE as it may seem, The Bottom Line has a strange feeling that Cavan may pull off a huge surprise, and in the process mess up countless weekend accumulators, in McHale Park this weekend.Mayo are without their talisman Ciaran McDonald, their grafting midfielder Pat Harte and former young footballer of the year Keith Higgins. How can we capitalise on this? Let The Bottom Line show you in seven easy steps. You see, it's simple. To win, Cavan need to:1. Curb the influence of Conor Mortimer. The Shrule-Glencorrib man may look like a member of Busted, but he's not a bad player. Whether you rate him or not, Mortimer is a current All Star and, if only for that reason alone, he has to be respected. The Bottom Line can see our resident man-marker Michael Hannon picking him up, not only to match him in the hair stakes but to shadow his every movement. To be fair to Hannon, he's the most consistent defender in the county, and he has the pace to match Mortimer, who needs to be fed low ball out in front of his man. Hannon has the legs to get a hand in, but to make sure he's not completely bombarded we need to...2. Win the midfield battle. With the news that Ronan McGarrity is back to fitness and may play some part, the pressure is on the expected Cavan midfield duo of Dermot McCabe and Nicholas Walsh to perform more than ever. If we can starve Mayo of the oxygen of possession – and ensure a steady flow for our own danger men – we will be ar mhuin na muice.3. Get at least one of our forwards to kick six points or 1-3. When was the last time this happened in championship football? The Bottom Line has often mentioned here the need for one Cavan player to emerge as an out and out matchwinner, to be the focal point of the attack and to land the big scores that win us matches. In championship football, a 'fox in the box' in the full forward line is essential. Jason hasn't hit the heights he's capable of yet this year, and is struggling with a hamstring injury, and with Johnston wearing the green and gold of St Brendan's for the remainder of the summer, Ger Pierson is the man for the job. The Gowna forward had a stormer in a recent challenge against Fermanagh – he's been threatening long enough, so now is the time to get the best out of him.4. Decide who's taking the frees and stick with it. McKeever or Cullivan with the citeogs (not Jason's left, please) and Lyng or Pierson from the other side.5. Catch John O'Mahony by surprise. Ballaghadereen's favourite son is one of the shrewdest managers in the game (not like a politician to be cunning), and he is sure to have picked up some pointers from the recent challenge outing against Donal Keogan's team in Athlone. Whether it is Forde's penchant for bombing forward or Mackey's pace, Johnno will have noticed and will take action accordingly. Keogan needs to try something different, something to throw Mayo's best laid plans into disarray and offer Cavan an outlet we haven't had. Forde on the 40 anyone? Cullivan at full forward? Watch this space...6. Get more out of Mark McKeever. The team captain is the most naturally gifted player on the side in the opinion of The Bottom Line. If he can rediscover the form of 2004, Cavan will have a ball carrier as fearless as any in the country.7. Carpe Diem – Seize the Day. This one's self explanatory really. Donal Keogan told the Cavan Echo this week that the departure of the 'Chicago Three' has galvanised the squad. If this is the case, they are in with a really strong shout. It's all to play for in Castlebar, and The Bottom Line has a sneaking suspicion that the year isn't over for us just yet....

maverick

I hope he dosent head back to Armagh. I reckon that another year with these bunch of lads and Cavan could see some rewards. This year was about laying the foundation and next year you will see lads been rewarded for all the hard work. People cant expect a new management to come in and all of a sudden change things they need to be allowed to get their ideas and routines in place.

Maximus Marillius

Lads, Cavan wont win anything ie Ulster championship for the foreseeable future. Get a reality check...and it would not matter if God took Cavan the same result would stand...yer club structure is poor, coaching at school level pratically non existant...until that changes, then it will be the same as it has been for the past 50 years. Not trying to be smart

The Bottom Brick

St Pats College will have a full time GAA development coach as from this September, a definite step in the rigth direction...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Maximus Marillius

Without doubt..thats a bog step forward...if that college could start producing..well it would change everything

maverick

What about the Virginia Schools winning the All-Ireland. That has got to mean we have some underage talent in the county......

mylestheslasher

What about the fact that Nicholas Walsh is a schools GAA coach (or whatever the title is) and he can't kick the ball straight.  :-[